X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaceing Lathe Switch

Last night the fourth on-off switch went in my Steel City Lathe. In the past whenever this has occured they have sent me a new one with no questions asked and told me that each one is a better one than the last. According to what I have read on-line this is not a problem limited to Steel City. Apparently Jet has experienced similar problems. I have taken all the switches apart and cleaned them while wating for the new ones to arrive but they only last a couple days. Contacts are burned and some type of lubricating grease is smeared everywhere. I need to find a permanent solution. My lathe is down and I have chair legs and stretchers to turn by wednesday.

The switch has spades on the back and a mating female push-on connector on the wires to the lathe motor. Can I connect wires to a switch and then connect the wires from the switch to the wires on the lathe using push-on connectors? Or are push-on connectors only used to connect wires to switches? Will just a regular household light switch work for now?

Numbers on the switch are:
    20/12A 125/250V
    I don't know what the numbers mean except I think they indicate the switch is rated for household current.

Thanks,Tom
    Last edited by Tom W; 02-22-2009, 01:34 PM.

Re: Replaceing Lathe Switch

Yes you should be able to use a household switch for your lathe, just try to get one with the highest amp rating you can as it affords less resistance.

I wired a regular house switch for my lathe, believe I used a 25amp light switch and works well for this 12" Atlas made for Craftsman...

sigpic
    www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Originally posted by U&I Plumber View Post
      Yes you should be able to use a household switch for your lathe, just try to get one with the highest amp rating you can as it affords less resistance.

I wired a regular house switch for my lathe, believe I used a 25amp light switch and works well for this 12" Atlas made for Craftsman...
      I didn't know light switches were rated. I will be sure to look for the rating.

Thank You,
      Tom

Comment

Keep in mind using a light switch can be dangerous as it could be easily turned on by accident by bumping it.Install it in a location to avoid accidental starts.

Comment

Agreed, my switch is mounted on the side of the bench to the left of the lathe.
          sigpic
          www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Originally posted by slink View Post
            Keep in mind using a light switch can be dangerous as it could be easily turned on by accident by bumping it.Install it in a location to avoid accidental starts.
            Tom,

Even if you do use a light switch for now, you might want to take a look at the Grizzly site. They have various ratings of safety switches, and also magnetic switches.

Comment

Originally posted by slink View Post

Thank you for the heads-up. I never thought of that. I often have neighborhood kids around my shop making things. I will have to come up with a better soultion than a wall switch as a permanent solution.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                Tom,

Even if you do use a light switch for now, you might want to take a look at the Grizzly site. They have various ratings of safety switches, and also magnetic switches.
                Charles,

Thank you. I will check their site. I don't know what a magnetic switch is.

I was able to rebuild one of the bad switches and make it work, so I am OK for now. But past experience tells me it is just a matter of time before this switch goes bad. I gotta get those legs and stretchers turned. I say that and here I am typing when I should be out there turning.

Tom

Comment

Here's some possibilities:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...&filter=switch

On/Off Paddle Switch with Magnetic Back
                  http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=20293

Accessory Power Switch
                  http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=5002

And a bunch of choices from Grizzly
                  http://www.grizzly.com/products/sear....aspx?q=switch

Which switch do you need, the OR71646 (BOM Item 112)
                  or the OR 71657 (Item 210)?

Lathe Manual
                  http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...100_manual.pdf
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.

Which switch do you need, the OR71646 (BOM Item 112)
                    or the OR 71657 (Item 210)?

Lathe Manual
                    [URL
                    http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/products/60100/60100_manual.pdf[/URL]
                    Bob D.

Thank you for all the urls. I will check them out tonght.

I need the OR71646 (BOM Item 112).

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                      Thank you. I will check their site. I don't know what a magnetic switch is.
                      When you turn a magnetic switch on it is held on by an electromagnet. When the power is cut, the magnet lets go and the machine turns off. When you reconnect the power it stays off. A regular switch will turn back on when you reconnect the power (e.g., after resetting a breaker, your lathe won't start up if you forget to turn it off).

Comment

When you turn a magnetic switch on it is held on by an electromagnet.* When the power is cut, the magnet lets go and the machine turns off.* When you reconnect the power it stays off.* A regular switch will turn back on when you reconnect the power (e.g., after resetting a breaker, your lathe won't start up if you forget to turn it off).
                        I am not quite sure I undestand yet. I am using my machine and a breaker trips. The magnet lets go. I reset the breaker and the machine won't start because the magnet has not energized. How do I restart my machine if the switch doesn't work? Is there a mechanism within the switch that will actuate the magnet if I flip the machine switch from the on position to the off position and then back to the on position?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                          I am not quite sure I undestand yet. I am using my machine and a breaker trips. The magnet lets go. I reset the breaker and the machine won't start because the magnet has not energized. How do I restart my machine if the switch doesn't work?
                          The switch still works, but it "defaults" to off after losing power (compare it to your light switch or a regular switch, which just connects the two wires; which will default to whatever it was before your lost power).

Comment

The switch still works, but it "defaults" to off after losing power (compare it to your light switch or a regular switch, which just connects the two wires; which will default to whatever it was before your lost power).
                            Got it. With all the young folks working in the shop it seems a magnetic switch is the way to go.

Thank you.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                            X