Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sprinter update

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    He was afraid to tell you.I told him you would be compassionate and understanding.But for some reason he wouldn't stop shaking.

Haven't you been wondering how you went through that purple nail polish so quickly.

the purple car is on the street.

it's the teal t-bird she's concerned with

actually the parking sensors work pretty good as they light up and start to beep as you get closer.

the camera lets you get real close and hook up the trailor by yourself

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
      Having put a lot of trucks together, I know how important it is to have the divider cage that separates the front cab from the rear storage properly bolted in. Incorporating your shelving unit into this can be dangerous.
      the shelving will also be bolted to the floor and roof. then the back of the shelf will become the bulkhead to prevent anything from getting past it.

i'll do this last as it makes for a nice pass through while working on the truck. also i need to finish the front drivers shelving prior to bolting in the pack rat and bin shelving.

rick.

note that all the welds are then sprayed with zinc and plates are then bolted to the floor and roof. this is actually stronger than the van as it's panels are glued to the ribs of the truck.

Attached Files
      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-25-2009, 12:36 AM.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Looking good. Watching you for ideas & troubleshooting on things such as the inverter.

I think you're probably like most and enjoy customizing & "making it your own" as much or more as actually the new vehicle.

J.C.

Comment

I'm curious, does the van running the alternator put out enough juice to handle the inverter if you use it for extended periods of time; or will the inverter have to run off of a charged battery?

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
            Rick, I know you don't like advertising and get work from referrals.

Does that include your van? Will you be putting your company name on the van with big vinyl lettering, small magnet signs, or not at all?

all that's on my other big truck is the required minimum lic.# and my initials. no phone # or anything else.

the last thing i need is a bunch of strangers calling for help. plus when you do work for others, it looks bad for them to have another company there too. a plain white truck goes with any company.

That's a big billboard to let go to waste, IMO

By the way, thanks for the update, I look forward to seeing the end product.

I was thinking about putting a large inverter in my van but not sure if it will be able to handle the load when starting to spin a 130 lb reel.
            today i had 20 minutes of free time before joey had dinner ready. not enough time to even plug in a cord to the house.

so i powered up the inverter and even used my 12 gal. ridgid shop vac to suck up the mess.

i would think a 1/2h.p motor would be about all for this inverter. a 3/4hp. under load would be harder.

i have a k750 with a 1/2 h.p 12 vdc motor i made up and it draws 40 amps. that's the route i'd go for a full time machine. the battery can be recharged in the van on the fly.

my k-60 had no problems with the inverter yesterday. you saw the roots and it never bogged.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
              I'm curious, does the van running the alternator put out enough juice to handle the inverter if you use it for extended periods of time; or will the inverter have to run off of a charged battery?
              i guess it depends on the load and the run time.

fortunately this van came with the contractors package that includes an isolated deep cycle battery and a 220 amp alternator.

the inverter has a low voltage alarm and another low voltage shut down.

most of the inverter use is for a quick cut, sawzall, drill, grinder, or 1/2 hr. drain job.

years ago i had a 1000 watt in my van. worked fine with an isolator switch.

here is a good shot of the wires under the drivers seat, along with the big copper fusible link. there are 3 different locations for fuses and relays.

under seat, dash and hood. german engineering

rick.

Attached Files
              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-25-2009, 12:28 AM.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I like the camera.
                Kenneth Collier
                Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                Jackson, MS 39206
                (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

All that space...

I give myself 4 months and I'd have it Destroyed with disorganization.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Whoah Rick slow down!
                    www.liveleak.com/view?i=513_1236152014

Hope you wear a seat belt!
                    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-04-2009, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Hey Rick

Do you let Joey drive The Sprinter?

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                        Hey Rick

Do you let Joey drive The Sprinter?

Hey can you see the video? It keeps locking my computer up when I try to play it on here.

It's a crazy wreck, it's more crazy how easily it happened.

ONE REASON,

High center of gravity on those trucks.

Comment

DUNBAR

No luck playing that video here either. I think it's TFUed up.

RICK

Get a couple of group 31 deep cycle batteries of the spill proof type and keep them on charge in your shop using (2) good 12 Volt Battery Tender Plus fully automatic chargers. Then when you really need to use your inverter, put them in your truck and also take some good jumper cables. One of them with the jumper cables can easy start up the engine just in case things go sour. The other can be a backup for the inverter battery that's installed.

Super marine batteries: See number 8G31DTM in this .PDF file. (You'll go totally ape once you give one of them a good testing out.) Be sure to order it with true marine type U terminals on it.
                          http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/0909.pdf

Battery Tender Plus chargers (They are worth every cent and more)
                          http://batterytender.com/product_inf...f954403aed30ab
                          HINT: You can find them on eBay for much less than retail.

Same but for 6 Volt batteries: http://batterytender.com/product_inf...f954403aed30ab

The PLUS model is miles advanced and far better than the JUNIOR economy models.
                          It's well worth spending a bit for more a real product.

Plumbers please note this: These batteries are totally great for backup sump pumps. Buy them from a serious auto and truck battery dealer. There's no point in paying big $$$ for some fancy name junk battery made over in China. These are made in PA here in the USA by a real battery manufacture.
                          http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/0181.pdf

Please note there are different types and sizes. You will need to match battery to application and charger. For longer run time ask tech support about an oversize battery and how to properly keep it charged up in standby service.

Sorry for going ape, but I hope people viewing this thread and seeing Rick's handy work, might benefit from the stuff about real batteries and the great Battery Tender Plus chargers.
                          Last edited by Woussko; 03-04-2009, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                            DUNBAR

No luck playing that video here either. I think it's TFUed up.

I figured it out, possibly there's a restriction on this site from posting liveleak streams...?

Above the video is the URL...right click and then open in new window and it will play.

Comment

SPRINTER TRUCKS and SAFETY

Load them properly. That is put heavy items down on the floor and balance them side-side and front-back. FedEx has learned much the hard way. They now use some Sprinter trucks and do find them to have a high center of gravity problem. Proper loading really can help with this. Also, don't drive wild. Be careful and please engage brain into proper gear before moving. Thank you

Comment

Dunbar, that was a wicked video. Joey, do not watch!

I missed the real shocker of the accident the first time I watched it.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X