X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprinter update

so now that i've had my sprinter for just over a month. i've started to build some of the shelving, pipe holders, back up camera and power inverter.

1 of the things that's important was the downsizing from a 12'6'' x 7'6'' x 6'3'' high box truck down to a 10' x 6' x 6'4'' high sprinter van.

1 of the big space savings is attributable to using sectional machines over drum machines.

eliminating material and specialty tools that are not used much. weight is a factor. my box truck has a 14,050#gvwr. and the sprinter is 9990#.

so building the interior and downsizing the contents is important.

here are some photos of the work in progress.

the outside pipe holders are important as a 10' length will fit inside, but anything longer needs to go on the spin out arms. i used stainless steel for its strength and corrosion resistance. plus having a friend who has a shop that works with stainless is a big plus the design is pretty simple.
    a 4'' x 5'' x 1/4'' stainless plate with a 1'' i.d. stainless pipe is tig welded to the plate from the back side. a pin with inner stainless pipe is used at the bottom to act as a bushing/ bearing to keep the swing out arms from dropping too far. also a nut is welded to allow for a knob to tighten the arms to the proper angle. the finished product is abrasive blasted and then clear coated. the 3 plates are bolted to inner wooden stiffeners between the ribs of the truck with stainless carriage bolts and another plate.

this needed to be done first as the shelving would then cover the panels inside of the truck limiting access to bolt on the receivers for the swing out pipe arms.

rick.

Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-25-2009, 12:42 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Sprinter update

Oh sweeet deal,

How you liking that thing

Those trucks are sweeet !!!

Great Pictures and post Rick!!

I am nominating this !!!
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

the shelving is a combination of unistrut and aluminum angle.

the unistrut allows for an adjustable shelving height and strength as it's welded and bolted to the floor, wall and roof.

the shelves are made from 2''x 2'' x 1/8'' 6061 t6 aluminum angle with 14 gauge aluminum sheeting bolted and pop riveted together. the depth of shelves are 18'' deep and 4' long. as the van tapers at the 5' height, so do the upper shelves. the purpose of the homemade shelves was to capitalize on the limited space.

commercial shelving units didn't have full depth shelves. in fact they only tapered at the upper level and each shelf lost over 2'' of depth just from the stand off distance. my top 5' high self is still over 14'' deep compared to approx. 8'' from the commercial units.

i'm still in the process of fabbing up the struts and laying out the shelves. but so far the 1 complete unit is 4 levels and allows for a 5 gallon bucket to fit under the bottom shelf along with a 18'' high space above the top shelf. this upper level will also be my area where 10' lengths of pipe will be stored inside of capped pvc pipes.

i plan on having 2- 4' long units on the drivers side, a 4' unit on the passengers side, a 36'' wide x 50'' deep x 6'' tall 3 drawer aluminum pull out pack rat, and a 36 bin parts shelf unit measuring 16'' deep x 58'' tall, 44'' wide. this will be the basis of my bulk head. the unit will be bolted to the floor and ceiling along with aluminum rear panel to guard the passenger compartment. as far as keeping those bins on the shelf in a moving truck. i figured that a bungy type cargo net will secure the bins, but also allow me to reach inside to grab parts.

so when i get free time i continue to build.

in the mean time i trade off which truck i'm driving as the sprinter is set up with drain cleaning k-60, k50, k39 and camera seesnake, mini seesnake scout and color briefcase. along with assorted tools and shovels right now.

i plan my days and know what truck will serve me best.

rick.

Attached Files
      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-24-2009, 04:50 AM.
      phoebe it is

Comment

next up was the power inverter. coming from the 2500 watt gas generator in my other truck, i needed a unit that could power my 1/2 h.p. k-60 and 8 amp timberwolf drill. i chose a 1500 watt continuous with a 3000 watt surge inverter. the unit draws approx 150 amps and can hit 200 amps under load.

fortunately the truck was set up with a secondary battery that specifically used for accessories. in fact the only thing connected to it was a 15 amp power outlet/ (cigarette lighter). this battery is charged by the trucks 220 amp alternator through a relay that will only work when the trucks running so that the starting battery and deep cycle battery don't mix.

i installed the inverter along side the passengers seat and i installed a battery disconnect at the drivers seat base. the main wiring is under the drivers seat protected by a factory fusible copper plate link. there is more wires, fuses, and computer stuff under the seat base than you can imagine. in fact there's even a couple of wiring struts that support all the wires and components.

i did get a good chance to use the inverter on a job today with my k-60.

the great thing was the silence and ease of use. no oil, gas or fumes.

the k-60 didn't know it was on an inverter. still had plenty of power to cut the roots i faced.

rick.

Attached Files
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-24-2009, 04:08 AM.
        phoebe it is

Comment

most importantly is the ability to see what's behind you.

a back up camera allows me to feel comfortable while parking and backing up. there is a factory laser parking sensors in the bumpers that light up in the side view mirrors and top of dash. this gives you yellow caution lights and then red with beeping. the camera allows you to fine tune the distance.

the rear camera is color with night time infrared lights. the monitor is a 7'' lcd that i mounted to the upper console by where the rear view mirror would have gone if there were windows.

i still have a front camera or roof top camera to install. since the truck is just under 9' i need to know where i can fit, especially with drive throughs.

the monitor accepts 2 video sources and is controlled from a remote.

the rear camera faces down to show the bumper and since it's 120 degree lens it covers a decent area.

rick.

night shot while parking in the driveway.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-24-2009, 04:58 AM.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Looks real good Rick. When using the power inverter, do you have to have the truck running? What's the cost comparision between your shelves and store bought shelves? Where's the divider cage behind the seats?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

NOW THATS HOT!!!!!!!

I love that !!!!

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              most importantly is the ability to see what's behind you.

a back up camera allows me to feel comfortable while parking and backing up. there is a factory laser parking sensors in the bumpers that light up in the side view mirrors and top of dash. this gives you yellow caution lights and then red with beeping. the camera allows you to fine tune the distance.

the rear camera is color with night time infrared lights. the monitor is a 7'' lcd that i mounted to the upper console by where the rear view mirror would have gone if there were windows.

i still have a front camera or roof top camera to install. since the truck is just under 9' i need to know where i can fit, especially with drive throughs.

the monitor accepts 2 video sources and is controlled from a remote.

the rear camera faces down to show the bumper and since it's 120 degree lens it covers a decent area.

rick.

night shot while parking in the driveway.
              Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
              New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

A few years ago a contractor for which I worked, in an attempt to keep me working all winter, had me build racks, shelving etc inside a new service truck. He told me to double the shelf supports up on the outside corners because that is where they are most likely to be bent when things are put, jammed, thrown into the truck.

That may not be an issue with you because you will be taking care of the truck yourself compared to construction crews who are sometimes less than careful. But it may be worth consideration.

Tom

Comment

looks really nice and your doing a great job in building things, I am happy for you, it is nice to have tools that meet your needs and work well,
                  I like many of the features your incorporating,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    Looks real good Rick. When using the power inverter, do you have to have the truck running? What's the cost comparison between your shelves and store bought shelves? Where's the divider cage behind the seats?
                    i had a quote for $4500 for 3 - 4' shelf units and a bulkhead. all aluminum. biggest issue was the lost space that those shelves required. even the installation company was concerned as the shelves became real short as it went up.

the divider cage/ bulkhead will be incorporated with the bin box shelving that will be installed when i finish up the install. the shelf unit will measure 44'' wide along with the already 18'' deep side wall shelf, i'll have 62'' already protected out of 72''. all i need is to line the back of the shelf unit with 14 gauge aluminum and bolt the shelf unit to the floor and ceiling.

the inverter uses a totally isolated deep cycle battery. i would guess if it's being used under high loads for extended periods of time, then starting the truck and letting the alternator help charge the battery would be fine. the inverter has a low voltage alarm and then another low voltage shut down. therefore if the voltage gets to low, the output voltage will also drop. the unit shuts down. there are also 2 cooling fans in the inverter and neither one needed to start.

as the need comes up, i'll monitor the findings.

rick.
                    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-24-2009, 11:49 AM.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                      A few years ago a contractor for which I worked, in an attempt to keep me working all winter, had me build racks, shelving etc inside a new service truck. He told me to double the shelf supports up on the outside corners because that is where they are most likely to be bent when things are put, jammed, thrown into the truck.

That may not be an issue with you because you will be taking care of the truck yourself compared to construction crews who are sometimes less than careful. But it may be worth consideration.

Tom
                      tom, that's the key. employees are usually a little ruffer on the equipment than the person who pays for them.

prime example is my seesnakes have never been damaged.

my other box truck has standard bolt-less shelving that knock together with a mallett. the type that you buy at h.d. or costco. they measure 4' wide 2' deep and 6' tall. all i adapted was the bottom flange to allow for bolting to the floor. with 9 years on them and 51,000 miles, they look as good as new. i even strap equipment and water heaters to them.

when you own something that you've paid for, you tend to take care of it.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Having put a lot of trucks together, I know how important it is to have the divider cage that separates the front cab from the rear storage properly bolted in. Incorporating your shelving unit into this can be dangerous.

Comment

Rick, I know you don't like advertising and get work from referrals.

Does that include your van? Will you be putting your company name on the van with big vinyl lettering, small magnet signs, or not at all?

That's a big billboard to let go to waste, IMO

By the way, thanks for the update, I look forward to seeing the end product.

I was thinking about putting a large inverter in my van but not sure if it will be able to handle the load when starting to spin a 130 lb reel.
                          Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 02-24-2009, 02:05 PM.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

No sign on this truck just like the truck it is replacing.

Rick, I notice from your picture you are awfully close to my bumper! Hopefully this was just to show how close you could get without hitting it.
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                              No sign on this truck just like the truck it is replacing.

Rick, I notice from your picture you are awfully close to my bumper! Hopefully this was just to show how close you could get without hitting it.
                              He was afraid to tell you.I told him you would be compassionate and understanding.But for some reason he wouldn't stop shaking.

Haven't you been wondering how you went through that purple nail polish so quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X