Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wanna' get rich???

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
    This thread isn't complete until darius comes in and pisses off the masses.
    OK, OK, but Send me a PM next time so I don't keep you waiting

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
    All the jobs are leaving due to, in large part N.A.F.T.A. backed by Republican and Democrat presidents.

It's cheaper for a US owned co to produce goods in country's that have no regard for the worker, the environment, or end product.
    Gene, Canada is a part of NAFTA and I would argue that the regard for the worker, end product or environment are not lower than those in the US.

They do realize, deep down in their hearts, he is just a typical politician right?
    Actually, I don't think he is a typical politician. Unlike the half-brain before him, he worked his way to where he is now. All odds were against him.

While Dubya is remembered from Yale and Harvard as good party buddy, Obama actually achieved something without daddy having to pay up some profs. At least Obama is refreshing, since he is a living proof Americans actually can speak good English, and his speeches certainly won't be used in ELS classes around the world as examples of bad grammar.

He may turn out to be the greatest of them presidents, but he may turn out just like all of them before him. But.. a little fable I heard years ago:

A family of rabbits, and the Doe asks her husband to scoot over to the Goose's house, just a few blocks away, to borrow a kitchen robot.

- Nah, she won't lend us her robot - answer the Buck.
    - How do you know unless you ask her first?
    - Nah, she won't.
    - Just go and give it a try at least
    - Pointless. I will only loose time.
    - Dang, just go and see!

So the poor rabbit hubby takes off and walks to the goose's house. On his way there he's still not convinced that the goose will lend them the kitchen robot.

"Of course she won't" he thinks to himself
    "No way she will" he convinces himself in his thoughts
    "I just don't see this happening, no way she'll lend me the robot"

He thus keeps pumping and winding himself up with every step he makes and eventually finds himself at the goose's door.

Bang! Bang! the rabbit vigorously "knocks" on the door.

The goose, all frightened opens the door.

"I don't give a flying #@$# about your kitchen robot!!!" - yells the rabbit and turns around to get back home.

To those trying to sum up O's presidency, just a few weeks after it began, give it a bit longer wait. Eight years of scandals, lies and robbery of the entire nation cannot be fixed by the end of this month. Don't bang on the door yet.
    Last edited by darius; 02-25-2009, 10:38 PM.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

I swear the whole dem/rep parties thing was set up to get "the people" to pick sides and fight, argue, and debate until we forget what the true problem is....GOVERMENT
      Divide and conquer. Oldest trick in the book. The system is corrupt, unfixable and will implode like every other in history. I'm beginning to really question whether or not having kids at this point in history is in THEIR best interest, and I am not being factious.

Just because pursuit of person wealth is fundamentally what the system in this country is based on doesn't mean it won't end up being just as destructive as it has been in every other form of government.

It's a big ship and will take a long time to sink, but make no mistake--it's going under and has been since it first hit the water. The problem? People as a rule are greedy and selfish. Period.
      A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Someone asked where the money comes from. It comes from selling bonds. An interesting thing to me is that we are now at a point where in order to seriously think about a spending plan of this size, or the previous $700bil for the bank bailout, the US gov must first have some delicate behind the scenes discussions with the Chinese to see if they will buy the bonds to finance it.

Clearly I don't understand it all, because it seems to me that if you dump that many bonds on the market the price will drop, which will tank the currency, yet inflation is still very low. Maybe this is the point of quietly lining up buyers before offering the bonds. The Chinese pretty much have to agree to back a huge bond issue because they have as much to lose from the dollar tanking as the US does.

I think we may have something to learn about where we are headed by looking at Japan's economy in the 90's. I think we may be headed into the same deflationary spiral they found themselves in.

Not sure what it all means in terms of planning, except if I buy all this I'm spouting it would be time to liquidate everything possible even in this market.

On the flip side I've thought for a while that the only way out of the massive debt situation the US gov is in is to devalue the dollar. Pay off those fixed value long term bonds in devalued dollars when they come due. This argues for the opposite course; there is no point in saving in periods of high inflation.

I've had discussions off and on with my father (who's been right about most things of this nature in the past) and my brother in law, who is a financial analyst, and had most of his clients in cash early, at family events the past few years. We all could see that what was happening was not sustainable, but none of us could see how it would play out. I don't think anyone knows how the failure of the us economy wil play out on a global scale or how to play safe. Some will guess right though, and they will think they understood it.
        Last edited by Ace Sewer; 02-26-2009, 01:18 AM.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
          Divide and conquer. Oldest trick in the book. The system is corrupt, unfixable and will implode like every other in history. I'm beginning to really question whether or not having kids at this point in history is in THEIR best interest, and I am not being factious.

Just because pursuit of person wealth is fundamentally what the system in this country is based on doesn't mean it won't end up being just as destructive as it has been in every other form of government.

It's a big ship and will take a long time to sink, but make no mistake--it's going under and has been since it first hit the water. The problem? People as a rule are greedy and selfish. Period.
          When I got married more than twenty six years ago my Dad said "How can you bring children into this world?". I told him the same way loving couples have been raising children throughout history, regardless of wars, plagues or any other natural or manmade disasters or situations. If we are to be ruled by current events and our own eventual mortality then just about everything becomes pointless, loving ,marriage, children and living itself. I urge you to separate your concerns for the economy, politics and other matters from the love you share with you wife and the prospect of bringing a new life into this world. Raise you child with care, love and the good qualities you embrace and there wil be one more good soul to make a difference. Now get busy!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            When I got married more than twenty six years ago my Dad said "How can you bring children into this world?". I told him the same way loving couples have been raising children throughout history, regardless of wars, plagues or any other natural or manmade disasters or situations.
            Frankie, that is great advice.

Eli, as bad as things could get now, just think of how many advantages your kids have over people 100, 200, 500, or 1000 years ago.

Comment

Working...
            X