Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashing high level brake lights - Grr!

So, what's the deal with these things then? You're sitting at the light, and the car ahead has some donut on a cellphone, standing on the brake, and it's flashing right in your face for 3 minutes.

Or, you're on the Interstate and there's a bus in front of you, complete with flashing brake lights. The driver hits the brake, and the instant bright flashing thing in front of you takes so much attention that it diverts your focus from situational awareness.

if it's not clear, I hate the damned things! So selfish.

Re: Flashing high level brake lights - Grr!

I've added one to the back of my Suzuki. I noticed a huge difference in how much room people leave behind me, or approach slower when I'm stopped at a light. Selfish? I'm trying to avoid getting run over by the driver with the newspaper/cell phone/makeup.
    Steve
    www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

What does a flashing red light mean on a vehicle? A turn signal.

Comment

How about the new school buses with super strobes on the back of them that are on at all times the engine is running? They totally blind everyone for over 1/2 mile around at night. SMASH ... KABOOM ... DEATH ... They are more than bad enough in the day time. Stupid *&^%$# lawyers. G D them all.

Smorris

I'm sure you don't have a super powerful xenon arc strobe light with huge red lens on the back of your bike. A reasonable light is fine with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadster280 View Post
          What does a flashing red light mean on a vehicle? A turn signal.
          Nah, that would be amber. And not in the middle.
          Steve
          www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
            I've added one to the back of my Suzuki. I noticed a huge difference in how much room people leave behind me, or approach slower when I'm stopped at a light. Selfish? I'm trying to avoid getting run over by the driver with the newspaper/cell phone/makeup.
            Drive a real vehicle, something with four wheels, and you would never have to worry about getting ran over.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              How about the new school buses with super strobes on the back of them that are on at all times the engine is running? They totally blind everyone for over 1/2 mile around at night. SMASH ... KABOOM ... DEATH ... They are more than bad enough in the day time. Stupid *&^%$# lawyers. G D them all.
              Never seen school buses with those but I've seen some new police cruisers with strobes so absurdly bright they are blinding from over half a mile away on the highway. I can barely make out the lanes if riding half a mile behind one with the lights on.

Comment

I'm trying to avoid getting run over by the driver with the newspaper/cell phone/makeup.
                That actually happened to me but I was not riding my bike at the time. I had someone busy drinking coffee and reading the paper rear end me at about 35 MPH while I was stopped in traffic. Luckily I was watching in my mirror and saw him coming and not slowing down. I was boxed in but I had enough room in front that when he hit I was not pushed into the car in front of me. I just braced myself and kept my foot on the brake lightly so that I would roll a little to absorb some shock on the impact but not into the car in front. It was the third offense for the guy under similar circumstances in 5 years. He lost his license for a year and his Bronco II was totaled. My F-150 needed a new bumper but otherwise was fine.

Having ridden a bike for a number of years (but I no longer do), I can appreciate having a light like this on a motorcycle, but for a car I think they are not needed.
                Last edited by Bob D.; 03-01-2009, 11:15 PM.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                  Never seen school buses with those but I've seen some new police cruisers with strobes so absurdly bright they are blinding from over half a mile away on the highway. I can barely make out the lanes if riding half a mile behind one with the lights on.
                  I see far too many of them around here and the new rescue squad trucks too. INSANE

Comment

Working...
                  X