Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time to fess up brothers

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
    FRANKIARMZ, we might be related! (our wife's might be too)

One thing to take into consideration, the more space we have, the more apt we are to fill it up. I often refer back to a quote I heard, "your possessions will possess you"
    Ah yes, the ladies are all sisters. I admit my possessions own me and I'm glad to be of service. How sad to think of all those tools and machines with no place to call home. I'm like the crazy lady who picked up a hundred stray cats only I do it with tools and machines. Hold on a second "Hey, wheelbarrow air compressor, leave the table saw alone!" They like to play and then someone gets hurt, kids!

Comment

Every time the hubby asks "What are you going to do with that???" I point him to the numerous things in the house that he uses every day that have come out of the shop. That being said....I think I need more flashlights!!! And clamps. I always need more clamps.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I've got a bunch of tools I've used once. 24" pipe wrench...
        Wow, and you call yourself a computer geek? Everyone knows that a RIDGID 24 is the best tool for freeing up a frozen SCSI hard disk.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Hey Rick, we just took delivery of a 5 axis HAAS lathe and a 5 axis HAAS mill. Great fun.
          sigpic

Comment

Re: Time to fess up brothers OH OH

This may backfire ! Some of us may be living alone again,with a bunch of tools !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I've got a few tools that I don't use often, but in their time they were necessary, so I don't feel too bad about it. For example I purchased a angle grinder about three years ago and used it to dismantle my big cast iron furnace that I had just replaced. Made it much easier to get the beast up the stairs and onto the truck. But, I haven't used it since.

Similarly, I bought a Ridgid combo a couple of years go that consisted of a 14.4 impact driver and a 3/8 VS drill. I think I've used the impact driver only a few times. It's sort of overkill on my home projects; but, you never know when it will come in handy again.

I bought a 1550 drill press back in 2003. It was the older gray color scheme and I didn't get it setup until last year (early 2008, IIRC). But now, I use it a lot. (It was very hard to pass up, NIB for $135, as I recall). Similarly, I have a TP1300 that I bought last year... it's still in the box! (Maybe in a year or so, I'll have a place and purpose for it!)

About the only thing that I can really identify as being sort of useless to me, is the powder-actuated nailer I bought over a year ago. I had no project in mind and don't see anything in the immediate future, but I got it at HD, for less than a tenth of the price. (Hmmm, maybe my brother can use it?)

The fact is that I keep a keen eye on my local Home Depot and when I see a bargain I snatch it up. Most everything is because I see a need for it, but sometimes those combos have something that I may not have a need for. But then I discover that it's a cool tool and after all, one never knows!

Of course there's some old tools, like my Craftsman belt sander that I don't use anymore; but thirty years ago it got a lot of use and I've leant it out a few times.

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 02-28-2009, 12:28 AM.

Comment

well that mill from craigs list turned out to be one that literally fell off the truck.

i was pissed that he posted a stock photo and then presented me with a machine that fell off the truck.

wasted my time and travel.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Shoulda slapped Him side of the head Brother!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Lets see,

A Makita SDS Max 1 9/16" Rotary drill, never used once. I made a low bid on Ebay and won it.

A Milwaukee 5387-22 Hammer Drill. Collecting dust in the corner of my shop. One day I had a rough time drilling holes and thought a new drill would help.

28 piece Milwaukee hole saw kit. Got mad because I didn't have the right size and bought the whole kit. It looks to pretty to use.
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Wait....

This has turned into the Plumbing Swap Shop/Flea Market we talked about.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        well that mill from craigs list turned out to be one that literally fell off the truck.

i was pissed that he posted a stock photo and then presented me with a machine that fell off the truck.

rick.
                        Look for auctions in your local paper.Lots of decent used stuff available in most areas right now.Alot of machine shops are going under.Locally I've seen some very good deals on older manual equiptment.I have even seen some really good deals on cnc stuff.

Comment

Forgot to mention that I bought a second MSUV. Don't have anything mounted on it, and don't have any plans to; but I bought it for $0.01, so couldn't pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by jcsplumbing View Post
                            wait....

This has turned into the plumbing swap shop/flea market we talked about.

J.c.
                            lock it down! Hurry!
                            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                              Looks like the aversion therapy is starting to take affect.

Did you happen to get a slight shock when you touched it?
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Just the bare necessities for me, because having a neighbor with a tool jones frees up a lot of space.
                                Added bonus, avoidance of honey dos with a simple "I'm afraid that 'il take a special tool, dear".

Comment

Working...
                                X