Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drugs

Originally posted by darius View Post
    Cannabis regulations have nothing to do with government or puritanism.
    I wasn't talking about marijuana alone, I was talking about all drugs. I think prohibition in general is a bad idea. And, I think it has a lot to do with puritanical ideals. People that think drugs are somehow "evil" or "sinful" are the ones that tend to support the anti-drug laws.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
      I wasn't talking about marijuana alone, I was talking about all drugs. I think prohibition in general is a bad idea. And, I think it has a lot to do with puritanical ideals. People that think drugs are somehow "evil" or "sinful" are the ones that tend to support the anti-drug laws.
      I do think that misuse of certain drugs leads to all sorts of societal problems. I'm fine with making all drugs legal with certain restrictions and penalties, such as selling steroids to teens would carry a fine and mandatory jail time, you could buy date rape drugs but if you used them to rape someone you get castrated! Drugs do more than make life tolerable, so we need to see the full picture there is more at stake than regular folks getting high.

Comment

I think prohibition in general is a bad idea. And, I think it has a lot to do with puritanical ideals. People that think drugs are somehow "evil" or "sinful" are the ones that tend to support the anti-drug laws.
        I agree, but those ideas are usually the secondary reason, the front page PR if you will. What I meant by my previous post was to show that it's the big business that really drives a lot of legislation by abusing what they rarely apply to themselves - morality and ethics.

As I mentioned before, I don't have a problem withe the ban on heavy drugs. But if it grows and doesn't require a chemical lab and a gang of chemists with PhD then it should be a legal choice to those who want to make that choice. Nature decided so.

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        I'm fine with making all drugs legal with certain restrictions and penalties, such as selling steroids to teens would carry a fine and mandatory jail time
        Then practically all North American meat producers should be in jail now.
        In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

I was just imagining what it would be like to have marijuana legal...like alcohol. Imagine it was regulated the same way as alcohol...must be 21 to buy or use. Can only buy it from licensed vendors. Cannot use it while driving, etc, etc.
          You could go down to your local liquor store on a Friday night and say, "Give me a 6 pack of beer, a pint of jack, and a pack of panama red."
          The government would tax it like alcohol too. I don't see why the legal difference between alcohol and marijuana. Actually in my experience, alcohol is the far stronger and more dangerous drug of the two.

Comment

Unfortunately, lots of the same people who want legalized drugs also think the government should take care of them and their problems [Carl, I know this isn't you]. If you drink and get cirrosis (I can't spell it), you should be on the hook not me. If you smoke a joint and get lung cancer, it shouldn't be my problem. If your a meth head, you're inability to hold down a job isn't my problem.

If we had no government paid medicine, welfare, etc. I would have no problem with people doing things to kill themselves and put them selves out of house and home; just don't do it on my dime.

Comment

I agree Charles, but your touching on a totally different political thread. I agree with you that government welfare is badly abused. But the drug laws are a separate issue. Even if we don't change the drug laws one bit, WE NEED TO REFORM THE SOCIAL WELFARE LAWS!
              This is one area of politics where I disagree with our current president. He seems to be highly supportive of social welfare programs. Which is fine, as long as they are strictly regulated from abuse. (which they are not at all imo.)

I am VERY happy that steps are being taken taken to regulate the financial institutions, I just wish step were being taken to regulate all the free welfare that gets poured into lazy hands every day.

Comment

Sex and drugs and rock and roll, what my body needs. Sex and drugs and rock and roll, very good indeed.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Do you think some drugs that are illegal should be made legal?

J.C.
                  What an opening question! JC was bored last night and looking for a hot topic to get everyone riled up!

Hey, next questions?

Are republicans good or evil?
                  Do you think Obama is a good president so far, or should he be shipped to timbucktoo?
                  IS flat rate pricing better or worse than T&M?
                  Are sectionals superior drain machines or are they garbage?
                  Does Ridgid's tool return policy at home depot seem fair or is it a ripoff?

Comment

Heavy marijuana use impairs a person's ability to form memories, recall events (see Marijuana, Memory, and the Hippocampus), and shift attention from one thing to another.8,33 THC also disrupts coordination and balance by binding to receptors in the cerebellum and basal ganglia, parts of the brain that regulate balance, posture, coordination of movement, and reaction time.11 Through its effects on the brain and body, marijuana intoxication can cause accidents. Studies show that approximately 6 to 11 percent of fatal accident victims test positive for THC. In many of these cases, alcohol is detected as well.34, 35, 36
                    In a study conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a moderate dose of marijuana alone was shown to impair driving performance; however, the effects of even a low dose of marijuana combined with alcohol were markedly greater than for either drug alone37. Driving indices measured included reaction time, visual search frequency (driver checking side streets), and the ability to perceive and/or respond to changes in the relative velocity of other vehicles.

Comment

Researchers say that young men who smoke marijuana weekly, or who have smoked from their teen years on, face twice the risk of developing nonseminona, an aggressive form of testicular cancer, the Guardian reported Feb. 9.
                      Researchers said the elevated risk compared to nonusers may be due to stimulation of immature testicular cells that can later become tumors. The testicles are one of the few organs in the body that have receptor sites for cannabinoids, the active ingredient in marijuana.
                      Increases in the number of testicular-cancer rates since the 1950s could be due to higher rates of marijuana use during the same time period, experts said.
                      Current marijuana users had an overall 70-percent increased risk of testicular cancer compared to nonusers.

Comment

[quote=EasyEman;213148]Heavy marijuana use impairs a person's ability to form memories, recall events (see Marijuana, Memory, and the Hippocampus), and shift attention from one thing to another.8,33 THC also disrupts coordination and balance by binding to receptors in the cerebellum and basal ganglia, parts of the brain that regulate balance, posture, coordination of movement, and reaction time.11 Through its effects on the brain and body, marijuana intoxication can cause accidents. Studies show that approximately 6 to 11 percent of fatal accident victims test positive for THC. In many of these cases, alcohol is detected as well.34, 35, 36

Vince
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X