X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drugs

Do you think some drugs that are illegal should be made legal?

J.C.

Re: Drugs

I dunno about drugs, but I think plants that were created by nature or god(s) (depending on your views) have no place on the list of illegal substances.

On the other hand, some drugs, such as Zoloft or Prozac should be banned. Especially that there is a natural equivalent available for free - get off one's rear and and be active.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

What is real funny, is that if alcohol and tobacco were invented today, they would most likely be illegal also.

Comment

Did you see the show last night,"Marijuana Inc."?

Sure,legalize it and collect taxes.It needs to be looked at from another angle.
        To make booze is a big undertaking with a lot of exposure to only end up with a gawd aweful tasting product.
        Weed on the other hand I can see growing in every home in the nation.Some in very large quantities.How is this supposed to affect blackmarket smuggling,and the other crimes that come with it.

I like pot smokers.Don't see too many committing agro crime or vehicular manslaughter under the influence.Unfortunately we are already the laziest culture already,do we want to make it worse?

Comment

Yeah... alcohol isn't bad enough we need to look out for people driving and working while doing other various drugs. Sleeping on heroin and pot going too fast on meth and coke.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            I like pot smokers.Don't see too many committing agro crime or vehicular manslaughter under the influence.
            Excellent point.
            Indeed there doesn't seem to be any correlation between pot use and increase of traffic fatalities.

So guns don't.. I mean marijuana doesn't kill people, people kill people.

Some examples:

USA - pot is NOT legal, vehicle related 15.5 deaths per 100,000 people (#1 in the World)
            Canada - pot is legal for personal use and in small quantities, vehicle related 9.6 deaths per 100,000 people
            Finland - pot is legal for personal use, vehicle related 8.6 deaths per 100,000 people
            Switzerland - pot is illegal but enforcement lax at best, vehicle related 8.6 deaths per 100,000 people
            Holland - pot is legal, vehicle related 7.2 deaths per 100,000 people

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
              Excellent point.
              Indeed there doesn't seem to be any correlation between pot use and increase of traffic fatalities.

So guns don't.. I mean marijuana doesn't kill people, people kill people.

Some examples:

USA - pot is NOT legal, vehicle related 15.5 deaths per 100,000 people (#1 in the World)
              Canada - pot is legal for personal use and in small quantities, vehicle related 9.6 deaths per 100,000 people
              Finland - pot is legal for personal use, vehicle related 8.6 deaths per 100,000 people
              Switzerland - pot is illegal but enforcement lax at best, vehicle related 8.6 deaths per 100,000 people
              Holland - pot is legal, vehicle related 7.2 deaths per 100,000 people
              Darius, aren't there way too many factors ,other than marijuana use, in the deaths per vehicle from country to country for that table to have validity?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Darius, aren't there way too many factors ,other than marijuana use, in the deaths per vehicle from country to country for that table to have validity?

J.C.
                Yes, there may be other factors for sure and I am not going to pretend this table is an attempt at science, but perhaps it could be used as a first step in opening people's eyes.

Still, in many countries where fatal accidents are nowhere near those of the US the driving regulations are more lax. If you hit something while doing 140mph in Germany or France, and the car you're driving is likely the size of Chevy Monte Carlo's trunk then you're just a wet spot on the road. So those additional factors may go both ways.

Oh, btw. France is #4 in the World with 13.7 deaths/100K. Pot is illegal there but the French are drunk practically all the time.

Benadryl causes drowsiness and yet a lot of people use it and then drive and work. Often with machinery. Insurance companies keep lobbying for cell phone bans while driving. Alcohol is proven to cause lethal accidents, and yet it is not banned in general. Devouring up a big Mac while driving is dangerous too, or noisy kids in the back of the car. The may cause distraction after all.

Anybody who tried a joint or two will know that after a few deep breaths driving is the last thing on their minds.

Comment

J.C.
                  for one,public transportation in the listed countries.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    for one,public transportation in the listed countries.
                    Wherever pot is legal or tolerated, bus drivers are not excluded though.
                    If they caused accidents then the deaths might be actually increased. So many "birds with one stone"

Comment

There are tons of valid factors we could come up with to point to the differences.

Public transportation
                      Road engineering
                      Traffic enforcement
                      Fines
                      How many people are actually in the car
                      Speed
                      Vehicle safety standards
                      Driving on the other side of the road.

etc. etc. etc.

While there may be no direct proof from country to country that marijuana use increases traffic fatalities, there is also no direct proof from country to country that its use decreases or even has any effect on fatalities either.

Kind of fuzzy science.

Maybe everything being done in a vehicle other than driving should be illegal.

J.C.

Comment

T

While there may be no direct proof from country to country that marijuana use increases traffic fatalities, there is also no direct proof from country to country that its use decreases or even has any effect on fatalities either.
                        And that is the point I agree with.
                        So now we're back to the basics. God hath given us pot, government hath taken it away.

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
                          And that is the point I agree with.
                          So now we're back to the basics. God hath given us pot, government hath taken it away.
                          You should get a bumpersticker that says it.

What about other drugs that aren't legal? Does anyone think they should be legal also? What's the line one draws?

J.C.

Comment

Legalize all of it...

BUT...

No 12 step programs, no free medical, no free re-hab, no free mental health, if you get caught thieving for your habit you lose a hand, no early social security as a result of being an addict, no free public assistance, if your raising kids on welfare you do random drug testing, you get one free dirty test, after that your out. I have no use for those that would use drugs as a crutch to become a burden on society, maintain drug free workplaces, if your hurt or cause harm on the job first stop is the test lab, if your dirty your unemployed.
                            sigpic
                            www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

You should get a bumpersticker that says it.
                              I live in Canada and travel to Europe often so I don't need that

IMO, whatever is grown naturally should not be banned.

Things like LSD do not grow in nature so to me it's a different ball game. Also, some of the hard drugs are waaay too potent and they throw people's minds off completely. I saw some LSD in action many years ago. It was scary. One of my majors was in psychology, so naturally I saw this and that in various clinics.

I also saw people smoking hash and such and that was hilarious. I did smoke it almost daily for about 6 months, some 20+ years ago. No health side effects, no addiction. I worked, I went to school, got good grades. When it became impractical, I stopped smoking and that was pretty much it.

I tried one, in 1995 I think, in a bar in Amsterdam. I didn't like it and I haven't felt like having a joint since. I don't drink either. Unless a six pack a year is considered drinking.

Where I come from poppy was a huge business. No, not on te drugs market. It was used for the great Polish poppy seed cake. Yummyyyyyy!!!

But then communism fell (I don't miss it) and various freedoms and ideas came. Poppy cultivation is now illegal there. That is unfair IMO since poppy is a gift of God/nature.

Comment

Working...
                              X