Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made in North America

i was surfing for bench vises.

the best ones i could find are made in this part of the world.

just goes to show, buy north american.

Vince

if you want quality, you gotta pay for it.

Re: Made in North America

LIKE THIS:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/F-Series-Vises/EN/index.htm

Comment

Colombian, Reed, Starrett, Wilton and Yost for the most part are made here in the USA if you buy their serious models. I M O Reed has some of the best machinists vises made. The good ones sold wearing RIDGID as best I know are from over in Germany and are very good quality. With about every brand the economy models are made over in **** and are made using slave labor in a **** hole dump factory.

By the way there still are a good many hand tool companies here in the USA making their tools out of steel from USA steel mills and they get it from mines in North America. Now if only Power Tool companies would get with it again, things would improve.
      Last edited by Woussko; 05-13-2009, 11:19 PM. Reason: Removal of comments regarding "Yaupo Schights"

Comment

That's a pretty vise.

Comment

The Good Stuff

Simple quality - http://www.reedmfgco.com/index.html?...chinists_vises

Very handy as it can do many things well - http://www.reedmfgco.com/index.html?...nch_pipe_vises

ElCheapo LaCrapola Don't buy this stuff - http://www.reedmfgco.com/index.html?...workshop_vises

This company makes good INDUSTRIAL vises, but please stay away from the other versions in this brand.
          http://www.yostvises.com/

More nice made in USA stuff to look at -
          http://www.palmgren.com/p-machinetool.html

And for anyone that's a serious mechanic type check out the ratchets, sockets, and wrenches here. If you want top of the line impact sockets look no farther. This really is the leader in super quality impact sockets and they are NOT sold in fancy tool trucks. They are sold through industrial supply houses and serious tool dealers.
          http://www.wrighttool.com

HOWLING OFF

Comment

Did anyone notice that the RIDGID bench vises have jaws for holding round, square and hex stock? Plumbers take note that they do very well holding iron or brass pipe for manual cutting and threading operations.

I do wonder how well the swivel base on RIDGID vises holds the vise still. You can drill in pin it as needed to keep it steady. OR, You can buy a REED combination vise with super base. They hold steady. Very steady when the clamping screws are tight.

OK Woussko, Just order one and check it out. I bet Old Woussko likes the nice RIDGID. I really like their chain and yoke pipe vises.

Woussko command - Run in to your Woussko Hut, shut the **** up and go to sleep.
            Last edited by Woussko; 03-05-2009, 12:32 PM.

Comment

actually i was looking at this one.

$760 landed in rankin.

Vince
              Attached Files

Comment

Vince

Nice but also costly. You may want to check out others before putting out your hard earned $$$

Comment

...Now if only Power Tool companies would get with it again....
                  Delta did, as I have pointed out before, with their new Unisaw.
                  Not cheap by a long shot but a very nice TS. I am seriously thinking about getting one in the next year which would mean my 3650 would be up for sale as I don't have room for two Table Saws in the shop...
                  That is unless I was to start a basement shop to compliment the one in the garage.

This just might be the way to break it to the wife.

First month after the new TS arrives: "Oh, I'm just gonna store in in the basement until I find a buyer, no room in the garage"

Next month: "Well since its down there I might as well make use of it from time to time until it sells."

Third month: "With the economy the way it is I will never get a reasonable offer on it so I might as well keep it."

After that its all over. I can start moving the second bandsaw in and the 'indoor' lathe, etc and so on.

Then all I need to do is construct a tunnel to connect the garage shop with the basement shop.

That can't cost too much right?
                  "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

I'm wondering about great deals on new, older style Delta Unisaw that dealers have in stock once the new model ships. Call me an old turd, but I like tried and proven products. I think everyone knows the current Unisaw is a great machine. I'm sure the new one will be great but like anything new I really don't want to be a tester unless they give me one to try and then after say 30 days I can buy it or have the dealer come and get it. My 30 days of testing would not cost me either. I really doubt that would be something I could swing but it would be nice. Put another way, I will wait about a year and find out what kind of little bugs are in it. I'm hoping very few if any and nothing that messes up safety. Oh what a mess a major recall would be.

Now to prove once and for all that Woussko is both an old turd and an old fart, I really have my eyes on a 50+ year old great condition Unisaw only the owner refuses to part with it for even $2500 cash. Personally I can understand his hating to sell his "Old Trusty Friend" off. On the other hand he has to retire from hard work sometime. 85 and grunting hard all day is not how to live. Then maybe it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                      Vince

Nice but also costly. You may want to check out others before putting out your hard earned $$$
                      since we became the new territory of none-of-it, there has been very little in the way of blue collar work.

i see many people suffering financially. poorer than poor.

a single man receives about $319/month income (welfare) support. that's not a heck of alot of money up here.

the government has made available to local artists money for tools so we can expand our wears and try and make a better living for ourselves.

the 2010 winter olympics is just around the corner and i think this may be some of the reasoning behind this sudden switch when the big kahoona hands out the money. stimulas money as it were. inuit art will be front and center in vancouver.

i have available to me $10,000 worth of tools if i can justify the use of the tools. this is a one shot deal and i figured i'd go with the best that i could find.

i've tried lesser expensive tools and i have found that the quality just isn't there. i don't care for toys because i tend to break them.

Vince

Comment

Vince

If you can get high quality by all means go for it. Over time it actually will cost you less as it will work hard, not need replacing for a loooong time and you will like the tools rather than hate them. I was mostly thinking that there are some very good vises made that aren't quite as pricy as the fancy Wilton ones are. Then on the other hand once you have a top Wilton there's no turning back.

Be sure you get the real Machinist vise and not the Tradesman which looks like one but sure isn't the same.

What size is that bad boy that's $750 in your area? Unless it's a real monster you are paying too much.

#10116 = 8" monster size stationary base
                        #10107 = 6" version of the above
                        Last edited by Woussko; 03-06-2009, 08:39 AM.

Comment

UPDATE - Ridgid Machinist/Bench Vises

I did some research and these are not the typical cast construction. They are actually forged steel and thus would be very hard to bust up. They are made in Germany rather than the USA but we all should know about German quality products.

For more info look here.
                          http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/F-Series-Vises

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                            Vince

If you can get high quality by all means go for it. Over time it actually will cost you less as it will work hard, not need replacing for a loooong time and you will like the tools rather than hate them. I was mostly thinking that there are some very good vises made that aren't quite as pricy as the fancy Wilton ones are. Then on the other hand once you have a top Wilton there's no turning back.

Be sure you get the real Machinist vise and not the Tradesman which looks like one but sure isn't the same.

What size is that bad boy that's $750 in your area? Unless it's a real monster you are paying too much.

#10116 = 8" monster size stationary base
                            #10107 = 6" version of the above
                            thanks for the advice.

this one is a 3".

the reason it costs so much is the freight and overhead costs of the supplier.

in fact, the local suppier up here is waiting until our yearly sea-lift to bring in their own vises. freight costs up here are a little "high" if brought in by aircraft.

this vise will come out of edmonton, alberta which might as well be on the other side of the world.

while it can't be said for all "high" priced items, i have come to the conclusion that high quality products for the most part don't break as often.

up here it can be very difficult to get parts. this explains why there are always TV's at the dump. people end up throwing them out because it's not worth it to send the unit south for repair.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko
                              For what it's worth the new Delta UNISAW name plate says "Made In the USA of US and Foreign components". This means parts are being made elsewhere. Only the final assembly and some of the parts are actually made here in the USA. I bet if you were to take it totally apart that far too much of what's inside it is made in 4th world slavery factories and much is made over in Red China. Like the older UNISAW time will tell how it holds up and what design and manufacturing faults it has. Nothing is perfect but I also bet it is a great table saw. For now I think I would stick to the "Tried and Proven" the older design which has served many people well for years. "Tried & Proven" also costs less and we know we can get parts for it.
                              Actually its the other way around. Because 100% of the saw piece parts are not made in the USA, they have to use that particular wording. Go to their web site and read about it. Go to the WWing magazine sites and read about it. The CI is all cast here in the USA, the final assembly is here in the USA, 95% of the parts are made here in the USA.
                              Somebody is doing what we have been screaming for here and right away you are bashing them and don't even know what you are talking about.

Go and do your homework, then come back here and tell us what's what, or apologize.
                              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
                              X