X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring turkey season

Who's going? I am going to give it a try. Never been before. Bought a box cutter today. Any tips, stories, advice is welcome.

Re: Spring turkey season

I am certainly going. I learned to call on mouth calls and that is all I use. I bought a tape, in those days that is all there was, and would play the tape and practice with the call as I drove. If you can do a kee-kee run, cut and purr that is about all you need for the Spring season. Add an assembly call for the Fall season and you are set.

My six year old neighbor built a turkey call out of a plastic soda cup, a piece of string and a small piece of sponge. We went out before the season opened last year and he called a tom in with it. That is how tough it is to call them.

Turkeys have good eyesight and can see the slightest movement well but that is about all they have going for them. When they come in they will be strutting, turning back and forth and walking in a circle. Raise your gun when they have turned away from you. When they stop strutting, fold their feathers down and stick their neck out they have spotted you. If they are within range don't fool around trying to get them closer because they are goin'... Blast 'em.

I think it is great fun to hear them answer a call but they really are pretty stupid, that is why they are called turkeys.

Tom - sometimes a turkey myself

Comment

Re: Spring turkey season

i go to the deli and buy a pound or so. no turkeys here except for government agencies and others

enjoy the hunt

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
      X