X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer is Here

That's it for Winter, I just drained the gas out of my snowblower and put it in my crawlspace. Pulled out the bag attachment for my lawn tractor and I'm ready to cut grass. There's a bit of snow still remaining on the lawn but it feels like it's at least seventy degrees outside. Think we may skip Spring and go right to Summer. Yes! No more $3.99 for heating oil. Come on President Obama, drill for oil, get me some cheap solar panels or put a big windmill outside my house, just don't let them oil prices creep back up.

Re: Summer is Here

Summer is here. And all I've heard is MF'ing HD's all day. Everywhere I've been.

Don't get me wrong. I like all kinds of cycles. But the noise is alot more fun for the rider than the people near you.

Getting old man.

J.C.

Comment

I really don't know how riders of super loud motorcycles can stand it. Maybe they wear ear plugs and I'm sure their helmets block out some of the blast, but still.

I never can understand our state laws. Cars and light trucks can't have open exhaust that can be heard a long ways off. Motorcycles and heavy trucks can make all the noise they want to. Some smaller towns do have night time noise laws but enforcement is almost never done.

Now if you are a commercial or residential land owner and you have a loud standby generator, the police show up quick and demand it be shut off unless human lives are in danger. If they are, you still have to get a good silencer installed fast and have it installed inside a sound deadening enclosure. If you're way out in the country then you need not bother. Sound measurements are taken at your property line in several spots.

About 2-1/2 miles (straight line) there's a major highway and at night I hear loads of VERY LOUD trucks, motorcycles and sports cars blasting along. For the most part it's older trucks with SCREAMING GMC Detroit Diesel 2 stroke cycle engines in them. They run them with just pipes from the exhaust manifold(s) and they really BLAST away.

Please see and hear "Big Red Express" on YOUTUBE with the 12V71 super Detroit Diesel engine screaming. It sounds like it's running much faster than it actually is because it is a 2 stroke cycle engine and also there are 12 cylinders.

CRANK IT UP AND BLAST OUT YOUR SPEAKERS - I know you would like a nice better pair of them.
      Loud warming up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1XbZYJwsaA
      Pulling hard - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BgRy...eature=related
      Last edited by Woussko; 03-07-2009, 05:21 PM.

Comment

50F here today.
        First time since fall we've seen it this warm.
        Still plenty of snow though. All I've heard today is snowmobiles zipping by the house while I got to wallow around in a nice mixture of ice, water, and mud while I changed the brakes in my wifes car.

Ever change the rear brakes on a Passat? It took me 1 1/2hr just to get the first piston compressed all the way. It turns out, you actually have to turn the piston clock wise while applying pressure in order for it to retract. What a PIA.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Woussko, I hear you. Two words.

JAKE BRAKE.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
            50F here today.
            First time since fall we've seen it this warm.
            Still plenty of snow though. All I've heard today is snowmobiles zipping by the house while I got to wallow around in a nice mixture of ice, water, and mud while I changed the brakes in my wifes car.

Ever change the rear brakes on a Passat? It took me 1 1/2hr just to get the first piston compressed all the way. It turns out, you actually have to turn the piston clock wise while applying pressure in order for it to retract. What a PIA.
            You can damage the caliper if you try and use a C-clamp or compress without turning the piston. Too bad you didn't run this by us first. They sell a tool that is supposed to fit the indents but it is not much help. My 1990 Maxima has regular calipers in the front but the backs have to be turned and like you said it is a pain!!!

Comment

For everyone

Please let it be known that the Jacobs and other brand of engine braking systems are not the problem with trucks and buses making loud P P P P P exhaust noise. The problem is that the exhaust silencer(s) have been either hollowed out inside or removed. I have heard brand new factory stock trucks use engine brakes with very little noise. It's the *&^% outlaw truckers that love the loud noise. The sound of POWER. RRRRRR

Comment

I was just gonna start a thread on how encouraging the warm weather has been after a long cold winter. I played 9 holes today and went on a nice bike ride with the boys. Cant wait for summer!

Comment

I recall 16" of snow on the 18th of April back in the 80's, I was stuck at Logan airport trying to get a flight out to Tampa. I'll keep the snow blower and the plow at the ready for a couple more weeks yet.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm not looking forward to summer.

105 degrees with 95 humidity makes me wish I was in the office dispatching.

Nothing but ball sweat for 6 months or so.

I spend my summers wishing winter would come faster.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

I had a fair amount of snow in my yard this morning (most of it is melted by now).

Like NHM, I'm gonna keep the snowblower out for a little while longer.

I don't drain the gas when putting it away. I only put in gas with Stabil and try to run it out at the end of the season. There are less than 12 months in winter, so even if there is some gas left, it shouldn't go stale.

Comment

It's snowing here as I write this.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I remove most of the gas, add Stabil and then with the fuel shutoff engaged I run the engine to drain the carb bowl. Mid Summer I'll pull it outside and run it a few minutes, may look crazy to the neighbors but I think it helps down the road.

Comment

Working...
                          X