X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG welding interference question

Does anyone have experience with "TIG" welding?

I am an Amateur Radio Operator. I am experiencing what we call "QRM" or unwanted interference. This interference is noise [junk] generated from the electric arc of a TIG welder. This interference actually overloads my radio receiver and masks all other signals.

Many sophisticated Amateur Radio transceivers do have some controls to fight power line noise, pulsed noises and other types of unwanted signals. TIG welding, however, is a very broad type of electrical interference. I do have a newer more sophisticated radio with DSP processing. Even the "noise blanker" is DSP based, but impotent to TIG welding.

I have a tower and large antenna at about 75 feet. The TIG welding interference is located, as the bird flies, maybe 1000 feet NE of the antenna.

Is there any type of filtering to reduce the interference?

How critical is "proper" grounding of the TIG welder in reducing the generated interference?

Am I just out of luck and TIG welding although providing beautiful and strong welds is simply electrically dirty?

Cactus Man

Re: TIG welding interference question

I'm a welder ,But never Tigged. Send a P.M. to Tozzi welding, He's a member.
    P.S. I know this is normal. Doubt there's a fix !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

tig incorporates a very high frequency/ cycle to generate the arc to the tungsten torch.

i would ask your power company about this. sounds like anything on the same transformer is subject to interference.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

The site I'm attaching has some fiter remedies, unfortunately they seem to work best at the source (at the welder). Can you work with this welder, maybe supply the filters if they are not expensive?
        http://www.bikudo.com/product_search...capacitor.html

Comment

Working...
        X