Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leatherman multitool

I have and still use my 1995 vintage Leatherman "super tool"

I looked at the Leatherman website and know my specific multitool is obsolete
    and no longer made.

I looked at their product line in addition to Gerber's and Shrade [sp]. I believe Shrade [sp]
    is no longer in business, they sold out.

Looking at the three seemingly most popular Leatherman models:

Surge..19 tools
    Core....18 tools
    wave...18 tools

I wonder what is today's most popular multitool?

I would prefer we stay with Leatherman or Gerber, and avoid the Chinese knockoffs in the
    discussion.

Cactus Man

Re: Leatherman multitool

I would think the wave is the most popular. No facts to support that, I just see more people with them than any other. I currently have a wave and like it alot. My brother has the bigger one, I believe it's the surge.

I've also had Gerbers in the past, and they always worked well. One of the biggest differences between the two is the way they open. They are both high quality.

Comment

I still have my original form the early 80's but don't use it anymore. Many blades have been broken off. Should have gotten it fixed while still under the 25 year warranty. Have also owned the Wave, Gerber,SOG and currently have a Surge. I like the Surge the best so far except for the way it closes.

Comment

I have a Vise-Grip multi tool. Bought it way before Irwin took over. I love the locking pliers.

Mick

Comment

I have a couple regular old Leatherman classics. I don't think there were more than a couple models when I got them.

I did recently buy a POS import one, though. I knew it was crap when I got it, but I couldn't pass it up for $5. It has a 2" claw hammer that folds out of it! It is worthless to use, but fun to show people.
          Steve
          www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

I've had 2 Leatherman, and still have/use one.. A full size Gerber, that I had on my belt all through my service in the Army, and the misfortune of several junkos as gifts...

But, my favorite multi-tool is one that wasn't on this list:
            The Victorinox Swisstool multi-tool:
            http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swi.../dp/B000IOG3Y0

I think its best, most subtle feature, is that you can access the 'inner' tools without even opening it. And when it is open, to use the pliers, the smooth side of the handle is out and against your hand. Beautifully made tool.

Comment

Now that I'm home I can find a photo of the hammer multi-tool I have.

Plus, I forgot that I also have a Victorinox Auto-Tool. It has all the normal stuff, plus a digital tire pressure gauge, an ice scraper, a flashlight, and a fuse puller. It was one of my Dad's toys that he picked up somewhere.

The two Leatherman tools I have are the original PST and the Micra pocket tool.
              Last edited by smorris; 03-11-2009, 09:36 PM.
              Steve
              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

I got one dated from around 1992 and a newer WAVE. I carry the wave all the time, when Off Duty.

Need to get it served at the factory - the diamond coating on the file. All wore off.

I'm dedicated to Leatherman and their way of doing business.

Comment

I have a surge model.

They were regular priced at around $80 at Lowes and I picked up two of them at $20 each when they were closing them out. I wish I was able to buy a few more at that price.

You can tell it's a quality tool. I've handled a bunch of other, cheaper, versions and there is no comparison.

Comment

I finally decided to purchase the Leatherman surge model and the optional driver bits.
                    I actually found the best offer at amazon.com. I looked at e-bay but prices were a bit high for auction stuff.

This tool is actually not for me but for my wife to include in her "emergency prep" kit

Thanks for your comments.

Cactus Man

Comment

Been wearing the wave for a few months now.I also carry a cheap pocket knife for cardboard,sharpen every couple of days.

Comment

I carried a Leatherman Wave for a couple years. Felt kinda nerdy at first but I used it all the time. I even carried it on my days off.

Last week it was stolen right out of my van when I took it off to get into a tight crawl space. I have been having withdrawal for a while now, seriously.
                        I used that tool so much.

The Benchmade Griptilian in my front pocket and the Wave on my side and I was set. Guess I will go buy another Wave but it makes me mad.

The guy at my knife store tried to get me into a Victornox Swiss tool but I could not open it easily as I don't sport long finger nails. It seemed like a nice tool though.
                        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I have had a leatherman for 15 years but never really used it. On the other hand I have been wearing my Gerber every working day for the last fifteen years. I'm impressed by that tool, specially the pocket. I can tell it's wearing off but good for another 10 years. The main problem with it, is when you are using the pliers and the grip slips, then you just have pinch yourself with the handle!
                          Between the two I rather the Leatherman, you can't pinch yourself with those. It's tighter and equiped with long nose wich are very usefull.

Comment

I also have a wave that is about 9 years old. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if mine ever broke. Never like the sliding plier style of the gerbers. They have a weak point at the slide release button that always breaks when gripping something very hard. My all time favorite knife is a sears craftsman folding box cutter. It holds extra blades in the handle. BTW-the lansky is the best sharpener out there. Better than factory sharp.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
                              Now that I'm home I can find a photo of the hammer multi-tool I have.

Plus, I forgot that I also have a Victorinox Auto-Tool. It has all the normal stuff, plus a digital tire pressure gauge, an ice scraper, a flashlight, and a fuse puller. It was one of my Dad's toys that he picked up somewhere.

The two Leatherman tools I have are the original PST and the Micra pocket tool.

Update: Amazon had a one day only deal on a Leatherman Core, Monarch 300 flashlight, and a combo sheath for $39 shipped.

And Sears had a killer deal on the Leatherman Skeletool CX
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by smorris; 05-03-2009, 10:12 PM.
                              Steve
                              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Working...
                              X