Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does a standard MH cover weigh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does a standard MH cover weigh?

and why are they round?

just a little trivia.

Vince

Re: How much does a standard MH cover weigh?

They are round because they won't fall in and the weight will vary depending on the diameter. Anywhere from around 60lbs on up.

Comment

the covers up here are a 100lbs.

Vince

Comment

Lightweights! In New York City the Telephone manhole covers are roughly 400lbs and the inner cover (pan) is around 70 or 80lbs. I must have opened thousands in my career.

Comment

ITs even heavier when its on your finger

Comment

i have heard (i can't read), the following reasons why they're so heavy;

-so they can't be stolen so easy

-so they don't lift off when a vehicle passes over them travelling at a high-rate of speed

is this true?

Vince

Comment

Vince, all those reasons and strength too. In the city the openings have to be large enough to allow for pulling equipment, so the cover has got to be very strong to hold up to heavy truck traffic over many years. They are heavy!!!

Comment

1 1/2 years ago have My back Hoe on a project. Scrap metal is high,and folks are stealing
                Man hole covers. all over the news. There are a family of junk removers a few blocks away.
                One morn We find a Hetch Hetchy M.H. cover in the hedges and grass strip across the street
                I have a dear friend retired from HETCH HETCHY. I also have a back hoe ,[ easy to load in ones dump truck] torches and a small amount of artistic skill. HE HE as MARK SAYS

TOOL,YOU FOOL,THIS IS THE WORLD WIDE WEB. HE HE

PS. GREAT GRAFIC LOGO!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

An why , and where are they bolted in place ???
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                  X