X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life in California

What's it like living there? Any disadvantages? I was thinking about the Oxnard, Port Hueneme area.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Life in California

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    What's it like living there? Any disadvantages? I was thinking about the Oxnard, Port Hueneme area.
    you'll be real close to adam.

mark is 45 minutes away

and joey and i are within an hour

you'll still love it

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I have relatives in Oxnard and I think the area is nice. Traffic is not quite as bad as L.A. I'm up in the bay area out in the suburbs. Houses are cheaper now (as far as CA goes).

Ern

Comment

Kinda looking more for average housing costs, schools, crime, what to do there for fun, typical stuff.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Is this a base transfer possibility! Wouldn't go back to the East coast,My old home.

Like being able to travel to Snow to play. Then get out of it to work. Ca. has been good to Us. Prefer Northern Ca. A little more seasonal ,like the East.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

http://www.cityofoxnard.org/Default....epartmentID=22

http://www.city-data.com/city/Oxnard-California.html

http://www.greatschools.net/city/Oxnard/CA
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Not to be a downer, but you do know Ca is on the verge of bankruptcy? One of the many reasons is an estimated 40% of workers here don't pay income tax. Why? Because they're illegal. Things are going downhill fast. Unemployment recently hit 10%. The state is actually driving business OUT because of excessive regulation and taxation. Been that way for a while. It's eventually going to be a state of "have nots" with little or no middle class. The top earners will be taxed so much that the extra effort won't even matter. About as close to a welfare state as it gets.
              Lots of pink slips being handed out as of late also.

If you don't mind dealing with all that plus paying for everyone else that lives here and a higher cost of living. It's great. Oh yeah, at least there's the good weather.

My wife works for a major wireless company here and was told they might be relocating her dept. to another state. It's just too expensive to continue operating here. Don't know if that'll pan out for sure but we're still preparing for it nonetheless. We're just trying to save as much money as possible and pay off a few bills in the meantime. After that, adios Ca.

Sorry if this was an unhelpful rant.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                you'll be real close to adam.

mark is 45 minutes away

and joey and i are within an hour

you'll still love it

rick.
                Rick, does this mean that you consider the above to be disadvantages?
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

ben and i have a love hate relationship

he loves to hate me

actually it means that he's close enough to join in our monthly outings

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    ben and i have a love hate relationship

he loves to hate me

actually it means that he's close enough to join in our monthly outings

rick.
                    Perhaps he could teach you to arm wrestle?

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      Perhaps he could teach you to arm wrestle?

Mark
                      and i can teach him to ring the bell

josh's kids would appreciate that better

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
                        Not to be a downer, but you do know Ca is on the verge of bankruptcy?
                        This would be be a base transfer. Would Cali's economy going down the tubes be a good thing for me? Thinking out loud, if the economy takes a dump, this drives down housing costs and if I have steady paycheck, I could buy a house cheaper than if the economy was real strong. Still not a good idea?
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

This would be be a base transfer. Would Cali's economy going down the tubes be a good thing for me? Thinking out loud, if the economy takes a dump, this drives down housing costs and if I have steady paycheck, I could buy a house cheaper than if the economy was real strong. Still not a good idea?
                          The housing allowance for the Point Mugu area is probably pretty high (check military.com) and housing costs are lower these days for rentals and purchases both (at least for California). Just don't count on selling your home in a couple of years like folks used to do when they got orders when I was on active duty. Houses are like cars these days, they hand you the keys and half of the equity is gone.

On a positive note: The VA will guarantee a loan up to $620K with a conforming rate so long as your credit rating is above 650 or so and a debt ratio below 40-45% or so.

If you have job security, California is great. You'll want for no thing or activity as long as you can throw money at it. I'm no rich fat cat, but that's what I love about this state.

Good luck to you,
                          Ern

Comment

Now your thinking

Comment

Working...
                            X