Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone should be Scared

Article

There is no possible way that we can buy ourselves out of this mess. There's just no freaking way.

And look at where the article came from. NEW YORK TIMES

Americans aren't going to be able to afford much, we're going to be taxed to death to fix this.

I guess I can't comment till I see restaurants on the weekends close up, maybe then this will be a reality.
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-22-2009, 10:04 PM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Everyone should be Scared

I'm sure not going to pretend to know the answer to this problem, I'll have to depend on the experts.

If tax cuts were the answer we would not even be in this position.

We've had tax cuts since 2001 and at the same time increased our spending. Its time to pay the piper.

And yes, It's scary.

Comment

No one knows the answer at this point.

It's a grabontotherailintherollercoasterandpray attitude.

It's like my 2nd business; Pouring money into it isn't the answer. Sometimes it just has to run its course, like a disease.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

You don`t have to worry your sitting pretty your federal reserve is printing money as all bankrupts do and they will bring us all down in the years to come.

Tony

Comment

The problem is that they cut taxes but increase spending. I am not sure if Harvard is teaching this a viable economic policy, but common sense says stop spending. When you cut the tax rate people actually spend more money the economy grows and the the government gets more dollars in taxes. OUR CONGRESS starts drooling at all the "Extra" money and starts blowing it on shrimp farming experiments.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
            The problem is that they cut taxes but increase spending. I am not sure if Harvard is teaching this a viable economic policy, but common sense says stop spending. When you cut the tax rate people actually spend more money the economy grows and the the government gets more dollars in taxes. OUR CONGRESS starts drooling at all the "Extra" money and starts blowing it on shrimp farming experiments.

"OUR CONGRESS starts drooling at all the "Extra" money and starts blowing it on shrimp farming experiments "

hey that is not fair,
            I still do not know what when wrong tho, I do not know if I planted them too deep or not far enough apart, I was following the governments directions,
            Last edited by BHD; 03-23-2009, 10:43 AM.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I am deeply concerned. We are making rapid and wide sweeping changes with no checks and balances.

We WILL see massive inflation unless we get market growth to offset it which is very unlikely with the Baby boomer generation pulling out of the market for retirement.

I am actually spending more money in the down market on things that I know I will need in the future. We may see a little more deflation in the short term but I suspect next spring we will really start seeing the impact of everything we are streamlining through right now.

Josh

Comment

I agree we can't fix this econonmy with bailouts and stimulus packages. In my opinion we did alright when we worked and bought consumer goods we grew and made right here, once we bought into the "Global" economy we started to slide down that slippery slope and there's no getting back. The stock market doing well for a few days, weeks or even months doesn't mean we have folks working again, making the goods we consume and buying them. You can make ten thousand a week clear and it still won't offset the loss of jobs your fellow Americans are experiencing, it won't make up for the burden on our many federal, state and local agencies the illegals have created with our government's help. We can't support the rest of the world with American dollars, it's that simple! Sorry, mexico, india, china, sri lanka, vietnam and the rest of the places that are making our clothes, car parts, electronics and other consumer goods. You are now paying for all that "Cheap" labor and maybe you are beginning to understand that it wasn't that cheap after all? Personally, I don't want the banks to start lending again like thay have in the past! If you have a real business here in the USA or if you have a solid business plan for one , then fine you get a loan. If you work a steady job and want to borrow a small percentage of your income, fine you get a loan, but now is not the time to open the financial wallets of banks that have been bailed out and give away money to folks who can't pay it back, we have been there and it doesn't work. I'm a bit scared and a lot mad. Obama said he would go through the budget with a scalpel but the pork stayed and we are still paying for useless pet projects and roads to nowhere. He was going to bring the troops home, but more are going to afghanistan to be killed and crippled. McCain was going to tax our health benefits, not Obama another lie! I think the question is simple, keep sending our money to china for substandard junk that we think is a bargain, or employ Americans and pay them a good salary with benefits. Yes, we will pay more for such products, a lot more! But, we will have a stable economy and we won't be paying unemployment, bailouts and stimulus. One way or another we will pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  I agree we can't fix this econonmy with bailouts and stimulus packages. In my opinion we did alright when we worked and bought consumer goods we grew and made right here, once we bought into the "Global" economy we started to slide down that slippery slope and there's no getting back.
                  You can make ten thousand a week clear and it still won't offset the loss of jobs your fellow Americans are experiencing, it won't make up for the burden on our many federal, state and local agencies the illegals have created with our government's help. We can't support the rest of the world with American dollars, it's that simple! Sorry, mexico, india, china, sri lanka, vietnam and the rest of the places that are making our clothes, car parts, electronics and other consumer goods. You are now paying for all that "Cheap" labor and maybe you are beginning to understand that it wasn't that cheap after all?
                  I completley agree that this mess can't be fixed by spending our way out of it. I also hope that you aren't blaming Mexico, India, China, Sri Lanks, Vietnam and others for some or a lot of the problems that are happening. From the way that I see it, these countries didn't force anybody to buy from them. All of the manufactures in these companies were aproached by American people and American corporations to manufacture for them. It was a choice that American corporations made to get products cheaper. Farming out American jobs was a choice made by American companies not third world companies going after higher profits. Did any of the product pricing come down when labor costs were cut by a third or a half? I didn't see it. Yeah, I'm sure that tax breaks and incentives were also thrown at the companies, but they are the ones that made the decision to sell out.

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by Fireguy97 View Post
                    I completley agree that this mess can't be fixed by spending our way out of it. I also hope that you aren't blaming Mexico, India, China, Sri Lanks, Vietnam and others for some or a lot of the problems that are happening. From the way that I see it, these countries didn't force anybody to buy from them. All of the manufactures in these companies were aproached by American people and American corporations to manufacture for them. It was a choice that American corporations made to get products cheaper. Farming out American jobs was a choice made by American companies not third world companies going after higher profits. Did any of the product pricing come down when labor costs were cut by a third or a half? I didn't see it. Yeah, I'm sure that tax breaks and incentives were also thrown at the companies, but they are the ones that made the decision to sell out.

Mick
                    Mick, I don't blame those countries one bit except the fact that they offer slave labor wages and no EPA or OSHA. The greedy corporations and individually owend companies that picked up and left here are to blame along with clueless consumers and useless legislators. I would have thought that instead of passing legislatation to make leaving easier for businesses such as NAFTA, our forward thinking politicians would have seen this problem coming years ago? Didn't the ever rising trade deficit tip them off that we were buying the world's good and they were not buying ours? Clearly the tariffs, limits and other trade restrictions imposed by foreign governement on our exports should have warned of a problem long ago. I agree that cost to the consumers did not decrease much if any, although quality and safety did. We paid for it in the end, and I'll repeat myself by saying it was not the Unions who fought for higher wages and better working conditions and benefits that caused this mess, it was ignorance and greed and a lack of foresight. I would rather pay double for my consumer goods than see my tax dollars spent on unemployment, bailouts and stimulus money to nowhere.

Comment

Mick, I don't blame those countries one bit except the fact that they offer slave labor wages and no EPA or OSHA. The greedy corporations and individually owend companies that picked up and left here are to blame along with clueless consumers and useless legislators. I would have thought that instead of passing legislatation to make leaving easier for businesses such as NAFTA, our forward thinking politicians would have seen this problem coming years ago? Didn't the ever rising trade deficit tip them off that we were buying the world's good and they were not buying ours? Clearly the tariffs, limits and other trade restrictions imposed by foreign governement on our exports should have warned of a problem long ago. I agree that cost to the consumers did not decrease much if any, although quality and safety did. We paid for it in the end, and I'll repeat myself by saying it was not the Unions who fought for higher wages and better working conditions and benefits that caused this mess, it was ignorance and greed and a lack of foresight. I would rather pay double for my consumer goods than see my tax dollars spent on unemployment, bailouts and stimulus money to nowhere.
                      Very well put!

But why would the polititions have cared about "The Future Economy" They only cared enough to make sure that they got elected for another term. Unfortunatly, the bulk of the money that gets them closer to re-election comes from big business. The same people that made these "lets ship our jobs out of the country", decisions in the first place.

Mick

Comment

I blame China for manipulating its currency. I blame the US Government for letting it happen. I like free trade, but it really needs to be bilateral free trade.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireguy97 View Post
                          Very well put!

But why would the polititions have cared about "The Future Economy" They only cared enough to make sure that they got elected for another term. Unfortunatly, the bulk of the money that gets them closer to re-election comes from big business. The same people that made these "lets ship our jobs out of the country", decisions in the first place.

Mick
                          I must sound foolish, but I believe the politicians should have cared about the future because it affects their country and the people, not the businesses they were elected to represent. We are not talking about some under the table money, vacations and other goodies paid for by lobbyists representing special interest groups. We are talking about the sale and destruction of the American way of life. The very wealthy, middles class and poor deserve the consideration, representation and best interest of the politicians they elect. Shipping our jobs to the third world, opening up the flood gates to illegals, allowing wallstreet to run wild was not in the best interest of the American public.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                            I blame China for manipulating its currency. I blame the US Government for letting it happen. I like free trade, but it really needs to be bilateral free trade.
                            Charles, in tems of the real world I don't know what free trade means? When the United States has a trillion dollar trade deficit, that pretty much tells me free trade is nothing more than a theory that has nothing to do with reality. In reality other countries apply tariffs, limits and other restrictions to our goods, what is free about that? Where is the level playing field? I laugh at the mention of free trade because we maintain a standard of living and a nation of laws and freedoms that these other "free trade" countires will never understand, or have to compete with. We support human rights violations through our consuming of these foreign made products. Nike could be made here but they choose to use slave labor, I would not wear their products if they paid me in gold. We need to open our eyes, minds and what's left of our wallets and start to make it in the USA, so we can buy it in the USA.

Comment

Frankie,

I do agree with a lot of what you are saying. There are countries we do have free trade with (e.g., Canada, Japan, and many in Europe); but still have a trade deficit.

With regards to OSHA/EPA, etc. I think that it is an individual countries choice.

Tariffs and the like are not free trade. When China purposefully devalues their currency in relation to ours to help exporters; that is equivalent to a tariff in my mind - and thus not really free trade. If there weren't artificial devaluation of the Yuan, the deficit would shrink.

We also shouldn't talk about the trade deficit without considering oil. If we did not import oil last year, we would have a trade deficit 1/5 of the size.

Charles

Comment

Working...
                              X