Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this any way to treat our Vets?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/17/burn.pits/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Department of Veterans Affairs says it will study the effects of toxic emissions from burning trash at military installations in Iraq and Afghanistan on veterans, even after the Department of Defense has concluded no long-term effects exist.
    "We are currently evaluating the need for an independent assessment by nongovernmental scientific experts to help us understand the health effects of various combat exposures," Shinseki wrote.

Sources familiar with the plan said the VA is finalizing a deal with the government's Institute of Medicine to conduct the study. The IOM did a similar investigation of Gulf War Syndrome and other effects from the first Iraq war.

The emissions, from what are known as burn pits, have been a concern for troops, especially those who served at Balad Air Force Base in Iraq. Many soldiers who went through Balad became used to "Iraqi crud," as they dubbed the symptom of excessive coughing and black phlegm.
    Soldiers complained of respiratory problems and skin infections, and in some cases believed they developed leukemia and tumors from the exposure.
    The pits at Balad were at one point open and burning everything from plastics and food to medical waste, sometimes with jet fuel used as an accelerant. In later years, incinerators were installed at Balad, but other bases in Iraq and Afghanistan still use the pits without incinerators to burn garbage.

The military said last year that smoke from the Balad pit exposed troops to toxic emissions, including low levels of cancer-causing dioxins. However, its tests indicated there is no long-term danger, officials said.
    Follow the link for the full story.

And we wonder why we are the Rodney Dangerfield (as in get no respect) of the world. How can we preach and practice one thing here at home then go out and trash someone else's backyard like this AND expose our troops to the hazardous effects at the same time.

I don't understand.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Is this any way to treat our Vets?

Absolutely not.

This seems to be a common way to treat our vets though, like Gulf War Syndrome which they denied and denied, and its a damn shame.

It took my dad many years and many psychiatric evaluations before they would give him his benefits.

As far as I'm concerned every veteran that sees combat should receive automatic pensions and medical for life. Even if they avoid physical harm there is always a degree of psychological effects.

If we can send troops to kill in the name of freedom at the cost of 10bil per month we should do everything in our power to take care of them when they get home at any cost.

Contrary to popular opinion, you can be both anti-war and pro-troops.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

I was in that burn pit quite often when I was in Balad. It was big. They were working on the incinerator when I left. A lot of contractors would complain about it but we could quit when ever we wanted. The Military didn't have that opption. All I know is I would like to have all the steel in the burn area not to mention all the steel in the scrap yard on base $$$$$$$$$$$.

Comment

Now that I think about it. They tried putting a foriegn guy in charge of the dump, telling people where to dump and what not. Nobody would listen to him so they put a SargentMajor in charge. Everybody listened to him but he was in the dump all the time. Not so good! It wasn't just smokey it was terribly dusty also. I could see spending alot of time there would be unhealthy

Comment

And the VA has exposed thousands of veterans to HIV during colonoscopies.

They didn't bother to sterilize the plastic tubing or had replaced a coupling that caused backflow from one patient into the next patient.

All of us vets know that the rules are changed in the governments favor once our service is completed. Several of the "benefits" in effect when I enlisted in the late 50's were no longer available in the early 70's.

Look at the rundown and filthy bug infested wards at Walter Reed from a few years ago. We should have demanded that House and Senate members be moved in there to get a feel for the real world.

Comment

Reminds me of the government's efforts to avoid Agent Orange claims not so long ago.

Comment

Working...
            X