X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk good trade schools,We need them

I use to hire carpenters from Upper Cape Regional Trade school from Bourne Mass. [ cape cod]. This school teaches all the trades,including boat building. Kids do field work,building ,non profit buildings. Teachers are all pros,like our N.H. Master. Senior year, they work for contractors 1 week ,than classes the next.These kids are a pleasure to hire, Do You have a School like this in Your area?
    Last edited by toolaholic; 04-02-2009, 09:15 AM.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Lets talk good trade schools,We need them

we have l.a. trade tech. a 2 year junior college with everything from plumbing, electrical, hvac, welding, auto repair, cooking

for the last hand full of years a few of us locals would go there to speak to the plumbing staff and keep them up to date on the new needs in the field.

then afterwards, the culinary dept would wine and dine us

for me, the union apprenticeship is the best plumbing school in the country.

back then it was 4 years after work 2 times a week from 6:15pm-9:45pm. made for a late night. miss more than 2 nights and you take the class over and no raise til you finish it

now it's 5 years 1 full day every other week.

personally i like this idea better. less commuting and more production.

makes me want to go back to school

actually i have metal shop tonight

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Considering the union avenue To round out my skills and knowledge.

Comment

I teach at a high school vocational center. Once they leave me I encourage them to seek some type of apprenticeship program in our area. The Local 502 pipefitters, plumbers, and HVAC service tech union, the local sheet metal union, electrician's union, sprinkler fitter's union, insulator's union, laborer's union, carpenter's union, boiler maker's union, etc... You just can't find anything more lucrative and rewarding than our local trade unions. A young person going in at 18 can be making 60K+ by the time they're 23 if they really have the drive to succeed. Show me a non-skilled 23 year old making this kind of money, and chances are he or she is doing something not so legal.
        Later, Jonesy

Comment

Originally posted by JONESY View Post
          I teach at a high school vocational center. Once they leave me I encourage them to seek some type of apprenticeship program in our area. The Local 502 pipefitters, plumbers, and HVAC service tech union, the local sheet metal union, electrician's union, sprinkler fitter's union, insulator's union, laborer's union, carpenter's union, boiler maker's union, etc... You just can't find anything more lucrative and rewarding than our local trade unions. A young person going in at 18 can be making 60K+ by the time they're 23 if they really have the drive to succeed. Show me a non-skilled 23 year old making this kind of money, and chances are he or she is doing something not so legal.
          Later, Jonesy
          I see some kids lost at the local community colleges. I know ,they'll end up at Starbucks.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            I see some kids lost at the local community colleges. I know ,they'll end up at Starbucks.

Man I love Starbucks coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
              Man I love Starbucks coffee.
              Yea, but You are on the RIGHT side of the counter!

Comment

Originally posted by JONESY View Post
                Later, Jonesy
                Hey Jonsey,You chasin Em down like the DOG and His old lady BOSS HOG ?

Comment

Working...
                X