We Don't Need No Stinking Taxes!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Don't Need No Stinking Taxes!

While California increases our sales tax and we learn of more and more taxable deductions going away it makes me wonder how this will effect the struggling economy. Then I hear yet another Obama nominee has tax trouble and had to pay 3-years of amended taxes to get the wink from Obama. Health and Human Services nominee Kathleen Sebelius is just one more on the list of nominees who has tax problems. One has to wonder how there could be so many supposedly educated people with tax problems. Now with the tax cuts expiring and these nominees being forced to pay their true tax responsibility they may need a raise.

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 04-01-2009, 01:56 PM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: We Don't Need No Stinking Taxes!

I'm not an Obama fan, but the mistakes that she made were things that could have hit most of us:
    - She had 3/49 charitable contributions over $250 for which she didn't have a letter.
    - She sold a house, but still had to pay off the mortgage, because it was worth less. She deducted the interest; but that wasn't allowed (because she had already sold the house).
    - I don't know what business expenses she failed to properly document, that could be problematic.

I think this is more of a symptom of the whole tax code being too complex, that so many people have trouble complying even when making a good faith effort.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
      I'm not an Obama fan, but the mistakes that she made were things that could have hit most of us:
      - She had 3/49 charitable contributions over $250 for which she didn't have a letter.
      - She sold a house, but still had to pay off the mortgage, because it was worth less. She deducted the interest; but that wasn't allowed (because she had already sold the house).
      - I don't know what business expenses she failed to properly document, that could be problematic.

I think this is more of a symptom of the whole tax code being too complex, that so many people have trouble complying even when making a good faith effort.

I really wasn't criticising her or Obama I was just pointing out there are so many who do have tax problems and we would likely never even know it if they had not been nominated.

Mark

Comment

All BS guys. They don't pay thier dam taxes unless they have to. How many more of our politicians owe taxes they will never pay unless they are made public!
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

All true, perhaps.... but let's NOT forget the number of people who we work with, work for, and live around who DON't pay their share of taxes either. Just in my community, I've see million dollar a year contractors who have gone years not paying, until they get caught.

The biggest RV dealer in our area, with a reputation for ripping off lot's of elderly people, finally got nailed with several hundred thousand in back taxes and business fraud.

Several of the merchants in downtown Corning, have been caught over the years as well as a couple of well-heeled restaurant owners who kept two sets of books. Even some of the investment counselors and a partnership in a local hotel.... all caught with some level of fraud, tax evasion, etc.

It's easy for everyone to pop some of the nominees as they come under close scrutiny; but you don't have to look very far in your neighborhood or town to see that there are a fair number tax cheats among us.

Furthermore, almost every evening I see commercials from legal firms whose business is to get these crooks out of their tax responsibilities.... just last night I heard so character say, "I owed $60,000 in back taxes and I only had to pay $1,600". Bottom line is we have become a society where far too many fail to live up to their responsibilities. And, if it isn't taxes, it's some kind of fraud with welfare, disability, unemployment, mortgages, accident insurance, etc., etc., etc.!

CWS
          Last edited by CWSmith; 04-01-2009, 06:48 PM.

Comment

If you think that "rich" people need to pay more and you run for office with that as your platform. Then shouldn't you hire people with similar views. If you have a similar view and are "rich" why then do you take deductions at all?

Just pay more like you think "rich" people should.

Comment

Soon they will come out with the new simplified tax code:

1) How much did you make?
              2) Send it in.

Comment

We need more politicians like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY79KbCptTo
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  While California increases our sales tax and we learn of more and more taxable deductions going away it makes me wonder how this will effect the struggling economy. Then I hear yet another Obama nominee has tax trouble and had to pay 3-years of amended taxes to get the wink from Obama. Health and Human Services nominee Kathleen Sebelius is just one more on the list of nominees who has tax problems. One has to wonder how there could be so many supposedly educated people with tax problems. Now with the tax cuts expiring and these nominees being forced to pay their true tax responsibility they may need a raise.

Mark
                  Yesterday I realized the state taxes were going up and the DMV was increasing the registration fees for vehicles, this would cost me quite alot because the truck I bought in December I hadn't paid the sales tax on it or registered it. So, I go down the mountain to the DMV to take care of everything. How in the world could I forget it was Ceasar Chavez day and they would be closed, I'm screwed. Then I realize I hav AAA and it around the corner, so I go there and they do all the DMV stuff for me...got lucky this time.
                  The Other Rick

Comment

The DMV fees have not gone up yet. Starting May 19, 2009 the FEES WILL INCREASE from .65% TO 1.15%. I have a bunch of vehicles which come due in April so I just spent over $1,200 register two cars and a couple of motorcycles. My other vehicles will come due after the increase.

Mark

Comment

thats good to know, I still have one more truck to register, I hope I don't wait till the day before the deadline to do it, who knows what holiday it will be then. Between the taxes and registration I paid 1300
                      Last edited by rick1643; 04-01-2009, 11:54 PM.
                      The Other Rick

Comment

Working...
                      X