X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple Play Coercion

I consider myself to be a educated consumer and as such I have tried to provide my family with a combination of telephone, cable tv and internet service at reasonable prices. Over the years I have switched internet providers and like everyone else I have been forced to upgrade my computers in order to use the Internet. High pressure ad campaigns by my phone company and cable company each seeking to provide all three services (tv, phone and internet) constantly bombard my tv and mail. I refused up to this point to cave in give one provider all my business, but it seems I no longer have much of a choice. My current phone and internet provider AT&T stopped providing internet security without warning unless I have their all inclusive plan! I'll probably go with my cable (tv) provider for all my needs until I can find more options. What really bothers me about this whole situation is the loss of choice as a consumer and the manipulation of technology which coerces consumers to change. I feel like a patron at a restaurant where the waiter is choosing wnat I will eat. I am reminded of the many science fiction movies where the populus are monitored by big brother and lead very restricted lives wherein they watch only approved tv programs and reading is banned as subversive behavior.

Re: Triple Play Coercion

As long as they don't have you locked into a contract, I think it is OK to change rates and services with a fair warning (say 30 days). [Especially since most of these things are prepaid, and you can get new service w/i 30 days.]

What really gets my goat though is Verizon's marketing. They claim to be $90 like Cablevision for the first year when you call to get a FiOS triple play. Then when you ask about taxes, they say "They are about the same as you are paying now." If you push them and get transferred to a supervisor; they also won't tell you. If you push even harder you can get transfered to a billing department, and find out the taxes are something like $25/month. You also need a cable box for every TV (unlike CableVision). My triple play with CV works out to $135, if you add in all the extra fees and taxes for Verizon using 2 televisions, even their promotional price is more than CV's regular price. My CV taxes are like $2 or something. Verizon's marketing is just a scam.

Comment

If you lived up here in the boonies, you wouldn't have those problems. My telephone is a snuff box on a piece of waxed string, my TV is a cardboard box with a rectangular hole in it, (my wife and I take turns broadcasting) and my internet is a kite with aluminum covering and a coax cable for a line. I sometimes get poor reception. But no taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
        If you lived up here in the boonies, you wouldn't have those problems. My telephone is a snuff box on a piece of waxed string, my TV is a cardboard box with a rectangular hole in it, (my wife and I take turns broadcasting) and my internet is a kite with aluminum covering and a coax cable for a line. I sometimes get poor reception. But no taxes.
        You tak'in in boarders? If it was just myself, I'd would have given up tv, internet and the phone long ago. Instruments of the devil! Read somewhere that they plan to implant some of these things in our bodies for more convenience someday. No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          You tak'in in boarders? If it was just myself, I'd would have given up tv, internet and the phone long ago. Instruments of the devil! Read somewhere that they plan to implant some of these things in our bodies for more convenience someday. No thanks.
          YOU BET!!! That would give me more than one channel to watch!!

Comment

Us oldtimers used to complain when reruns came on. Now we pay to watch them.

Comment

Originally posted by cdia1960 View Post
              Us oldtimers used to complain when reruns came on. Now we pay to watch them.
              Those "old shows" were very entertaining, very good story lines and acting. I wish kids today could have more exposure to programs like "Leave it to Beaver", "The Andy Griffith Show" and so many more of those great programs. They had a good message, did not promote disrespect, throwing food and things of that nature. I'm actually enjoying some of the programs I didn't have a chance to follow when I was busy working seven days a week.

Comment

Amen. However the kids have more opportunity for exposure to these high quality programs with all the cable, satellite, and even from the internet. We as parents need to start them out young on these classics. It might even be called family time.

Comment

Bah, old people and thier antique, outdated, and obsolete ways. Having all three services under one bill so not only cheaper, but easier to manage. Oh, in case I forgotten to tell you, it's cheaper.

But hey, if there are those out there that enjoy paying high fees for the same service *Cough*AT&T*CoughCough* well, I will speak no more of it.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                    Bah, old people and thier antique, outdated, and obsolete ways. Having all three services under one bill so not only cheaper, but easier to manage. Oh, in case I forgotten to tell you, it's cheaper.

But hey, if there are those out there that enjoy paying high fees for the same service *Cough*AT&T*CoughCough* well, I will speak no more of it.
                    Yeah, it's cheaper for the first month, unfortunately I need the service for more than a month! I get a kick out of that advertising, "Only $29.95 for the first month". They must be insane. I like to pick and choose my service and not be tied into just one provider. A real telephone land line will work a long time in case of a prolonged power outage, but your telephone service through cable tv will go out in a matter of hours. If I go with AT&T for my tv service I lose my local cable channel. I don't get it? It's like they're in competition with eachother.

Comment

That's why God invented cell phones,

Technology, it's what Jesus would do!

Comment

I hate those "triple-play" ads!! Around here, they bombard us with all this then when I actually call them to inquire about the deals, all I get is "We can't provide telephone to your area!" Grrrrrrrr then LEAVE ME THE FREAKFISH ALONE!!!!!

By the way, don't forget you can always get some decent FREE anti-virus software from AVG and others. There's lots out there. Don't let anti-virus software keep you tied to an internet provider. That's yet one more little hook they have in ya! Check out AVG free and Kapersky anti-virus. They're both good packages.
                        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

We have a phone! And we get DSL with it. What's cable TV? Oh, never mind - I see there's a cable running out of the back of the TV to the wall outlet. It's a shame we don't get any channels, but DVDs play well!
                          Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
                          I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
                          My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

Comment

Working...
                          X