Going Solar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Solar

Just spent 3K on poly carbonate panels and aluminum hardware to build a 32' long solarium on the south side of my house, we are going with a concrete foundation and redwood framing.
    sigpic
    www.uandiplumbing.com

Re: Going Solar

Best of luck with the build and please post some pictures.

Comment

What will be the primary use of the room?
      How many seasons will you get out of it?

Comment

I will post pics of the entire process once the crate arrives and things get going.

As far as the primary use, my primary heat source is wood, we shut the cadets off after the second winter as the electric bill was nutz. We built our place in '96 so it's a "super good sense" design as far as insulation and weatherization goes, we only burn about a cord or so of wood a year. I laid the house out with the long axis facing north and south so it only makes sense to build an enclosed porch off of the main entry into the house, which creates an "airlock entry", and then solar greenhouse the remaining 32' that has a direct south orientation.

It will provide year round veggies if I have done my homework correctly as well as be a real compliment to our small garden plot, the 16 mil. poly has a 10 year guarantee and I have done my research as far as design goes.

If done correctly it will store heat during the day and re-distribute it during the night with a creative vent and duct system utilizing the crawl space under the house and an insulated box full of water jugs.
        sigpic
        www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Working...
        X