X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Control (not your aim)

Those of us who own, use and appreciate firearms are always waiting for the next shoe to drop. The recent mass murders were shameful but I suppose the killers would have found a Timothy McVeigh ending if firearms were not available. I have been wondering where the new Administration is headed with firearms. AG Eric Holder said Obama plans to tighten gun control because of the violence in Mexico which Obama says isn't true. However, Hillary Clinton is now repeating Holder's claim so you have to think something is up. What they are referring to is a recent report which claims 90% of all guns confiscated in Mexico were traced back to the United States. Apparently what they are not saying is it is 90% of the 17% of the guns which were traceable. My understanding is the remaining 83% of the guns did not come from the United States and cannot be traced anywhere because they came from Countries which don't enforce gun laws. So it looks like the truth in the numbers may be closer to 15% of the weapons confiscated in Mexico came from the United States rather than the 90% reported. Of course even 1% is too many and we need to take better control of what is going on. However, the big question is why are they skewing the numbers to make them worst than they are? I also wonder what percentage of the 15% which were confiscated are weapons given to the Mexican Army and sold to the drug lords through corruption. I sure hope they release the actual numbers and where they came from if this will be their method of changing public perception of the 2nd Amendment.

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 04-06-2009, 09:05 PM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Gun Control (not your aim)

Mark, I wonder how many of those guns are traced back to CT? Everything here is done with proof of Id, drivers license and a waiting period. I can't understand how a licensed gun gets from a legal owner to illegal hands in mexico? The authorities have all the information about the gun and owner don't they? A buddy of mine says the administration may not go dirtectly after guns but simply make ammo either too expensive or too scarce. My opinions on gun posession and control have changed over the years. I was all for eased gun laws as a young man and then I had a change of heart when my children were small, now I think it is too difficult for a law abiding person to own guns. If it is so difficult for an American citizen to own a gun legally, how come all these so called American guns end up in mexico? Maybe more effort should be placed on crime and punishment for those who break the laws and less on the presumed innocent who are trying to arm and protect or pursue sport and hobby through guns?

Comment

I dont mind waiting five days for a gun, but the thought of banning guns make me cringe.

I dont think the current administration wants to touch this subject, for now. Not while dealing with the economy.

I gotta side with the Republicans on the second amendment issue.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Well, a common saying is this:
        When the government comes for your guns, you can always give them the ammunition first!

Comment

It is interesting that an estimated $50,000,000,000 in drugs come from Mexico into the United States and the Mexican Government has never done hardly anything to stop it yet now they are worried about our guns. Perhaps if they secure their side of the border they can help prevent smuggling of people and goods going both directions.

It is already illegal to own guns in Mexico unless you buy them from the Mexican Army so any illegal gun should be easy to spot. When you go hunting in Mexico you take a junk gun knowing you may have it confiscated and you build into the price of your hunt the imaginary fee the local General makes up for your permit.

My guess is the guns which come into Mexico from the United States are stolen in the United States. However, the guns you hear about in Mexico, that are over powering the Mexican Army are full-autos which we are not allowed to own anyways. According to testimony in Congress, of the 29,000 guns found on crime scenes in Mexico 5,114 were traced back to the United States. How are Holder and Clinton turning that into 90%?

Mark

Comment

I have several guns, mostly shot guns, hunting rifles and 2 pistols, my pistols are a 22 for squirrels varmints, and my wife has a 380 from when we were in Baton Rouge and the serial Killer was there. My shot guns are loaded and in easy to reach places if ever needed because of an intruder.

If people think that taking the guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens is going to lower crime rates they are sadly mistaken, criminals do not go into your local gun shop and buy a gun, they by them off the street and steal them.

Comment

I have always said they should get to the root of the problem and make murder illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                I have always said they should get to the root of the problem and make murder illegal.
                ....and that my friend is why you could never be a politician, you make too much sense.

Mark

Comment

Politicians do not stand for what they believe in anymore.

They stand for-once again-what affects them & will perform in their best interests. Proven time and again.

J.C.

(Those statements seem contradictory in a way to each other to me. But both seem to ring true.)

Comment

The legislation that Obama put in place, moving the census also puts the fedral highway system under the control of the department of the interior (parks and recreation) That move could potentially make it a federal crime to transport a weapon or ammunition on a Federal highway. All the blocks are in place for the fed's to begin taking guns from us. It will not happen fast. It will be a slow and methodical errosion of your rights. First to go will be automatic weapons of any kind, followed by hand guns and finally all the rest. I imagine that soon it will be illegal to have gun shows and to advertise weapons for sale in local papers and such. in other words private sale of firearms will be illegal. Fortunatly the NRA is a huge organization and these guys do a good job for us. Make sure you join TODAY.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      The legislation that Obama put in place, moving the census also puts the fedral highway system under the control of the department of the interior (parks and recreation) That move could potentially make it a federal crime to transport a weapon or ammunition on a Federal highway. All the blocks are in place for the fed's to begin taking guns from us. It will not happen fast. It will be a slow and methodical errosion of your rights. First to go will be automatic weapons of any kind, followed by hand guns and finally all the rest. I imagine that soon it will be illegal to have gun shows and to advertise weapons for sale in local papers and such. in other words private sale of firearms will be illegal. Fortunatly the NRA is a huge organization and these guys do a good job for us. Make sure you join TODAY.
                      I WISH FOLKS WOULD SAY SEMI-AUTO ,WHEN IT APPLIES !
                      It hurts our argument!
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                        I dont mind waiting five days for a gun, but the thought of banning guns make me cringe.

I dont think the current administration wants to touch this subject, for now. Not while dealing with the economy.

I gotta side with the Republicans on the second amendment issue.
                        Good to hear larry! Why would You want to silence Rush, then ? He's the voice of freedom.
                        Is the new administration the only folks to have the 1 st. amendment ? Without the 1st
                        We don't have the 2nd., and visa versa
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          Good to hear larry! Why would You want to silence Rush, then ? He's the voice of freedom.
                          Is the new administration the only folks to have the 1 st. amendment ? Without the 1st
                          We don't have the 2nd., and visa versa
                          I agree that Rush should be allowed and even encouraged to speak since it makes him and his following seem moronic. We should all be allowed to speak our mind and not be discouraged, but feelings do get hurt and emotions rise because we do not think alike. I don't think what President Obama is doing with bailouts which were started by President Bush, and "Stimulus" will work. There is a difference between my not thinking these measures will work and that fool Rush hoping they fail! Why would anyone but a terrorist "Hope" our President and economy fail? Really makes me mad, things are bad enough without that bloated trouble maker wishing for failure. Hannity and friends attacked anyone who disagreed with President Bush as unpatriotic, that argument goes both ways. I would say dissention in a respectful manner makes us a free and strong country, insulting President Bush or hoping President Obama fails does not strengthen us or make us look good in the eyes of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            Why would anyone but a terrorist "Hope" our President and economy fail? Really makes me mad, things are bad enough without that bloated trouble maker wishing for failure.
                            You can wish the president will fail to socialize medicine, transform America into a command economy, redistribute wealth among Americans, and transfer American wealth to the third world in the name of controlling "carbon"; yet at the same time hope that the American economy succeeds.

Comment

Charles, I agree with what you just said but that is not what Rush is spewing. He is hoping the President's economic policy fails which in my mind means we as a nation fail. I think of it like watching someone build a house and you believe they are doing the foundation wrong, but rather than argue what needs to be done you just hope it falls and people get hurt. MY thoughts on our borders, resolving illegals, having my medical benefits taxed and many other issues have not changed since Obama was elected. I don't agree with some of what he has done and some of what he is proposing, and along with you I hope some of these things fail to pass. I do not want our economy to continue to fail and that's what Rush siad in his comments towards our President. Hannity referring to President Obama as "The chosen one" is also rather insulting and counter productive. Now is a time in our history when we need to pull together and work to make America strong again. I hope President Obama changes his mind or fails to make some of the changes he is proposing, but ultimately I hope he succeds in turning our economy around.

Comment

Working...
                              X