Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Labels that don't fit

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
    I have found your diatribes interesting reads..BUT they are difficult reads as you seem to have forgotten how to use the "paragraph"!!!!

If you break up your rants a bit they would be a lot easier to read. It's like stopping to breath after a few sentences.

And this comment does not just point to you..many others seem to have forgotten their basic English courses such as how to use punctuation, correct spelling, grammar, sentence structure...
    Remember TO-TOO-TWO all mean something different as does THEIR, THERE etc.

This site is read by many all over the world and it is embarrassing to see such awful writing.

I understand abbreviations and jargon but I shudder to think how many of you have awful handwriting too! I also recognize that some of you are trying to be cute...keep your day jobs and leave the comedy to the professionals.

Today let your computer do the spell checking ...that will help a lot...then how about proof reading the post two times before hitting the post key..you'd be surprised as to how much you'll redo or fix.

Cactus Man
    Guilty as charged. Too many years spent doing physical work, and not enough practicing proper grammar. I'll try and do better, thanks for the constructive critism. Frank.
    I would like to add that posts written when it gets late in the day, are more sloppy. I get really tired in the evening and several medications don't help my clarity. This may apply to other members as well.

Comment

Other than rhetoric, there is only one significant difference between the two major political parties.

That would be, the specific group of special interests that they cater to. And even that distinction is getting blurred.

The two party system isn't very effective unless you're a lobbyist. Unfortunately, votes for any of the alternative parties merely take away from the major party candidate that is closer to the alternative candidate. For example, libertarian votes traditionally detract from the Repo vote, green votes typically come a the expense of the Demos. So we have in effect a sort of political negative feedback loop where opting to go to a conservative third party option helps the Demos and opting for a liberal third party option aids the Repos. Crazy.

We need major political reform. Unfortunately, the foxes are guarding that particular henhouse.

Comment

And with the SCOTUS ruling today, corporations will have unlimited influence on campaigns now.

Who would have thought that a corporation had the same rights as a natural person?

Soon we will have senators from Exxon, Microsoft, UAW, Goldmann-Sachs, AIG, AT&T..... setting the political agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
          Who would have thought that a corporation had the same rights as a natural person?

Soon we will have senators from Exxon, Microsoft, UAW, Goldmann-Sachs, AIG, AT&T..... setting the political agenda.
          Or like minded people who setup a non-profit corporation (like a PAC), with the hope of influencing an election; because it is pretty much impossible to do it without banding together and spending some money to get their message across ...

IMO, limiting political speech by anyone is dangerous. Unlike a natural person, Exxon (or a PAC) is not allowed to cast a ballot.

Comment

And with the SCOTUS ruling today, corporations will have unlimited influence on campaigns now.

This has been happening for quite some time already.

The financial community runs the show. Including the Federal Reserve, which IMO is actually leading the pack.

The politicians aren't employees of those companies, but they are bought and paid for in political trade... which is exactly the same effect. Wars, banking crises, low interest rates on savings, IRS code, "service economy", job outsourcing, healthcare problems. It's all attributable to special interests (financial community, primarily - but also large corps) setting the government agenda.

If this wasn't the case, you would think that there would be at least one or two of these things that would be working out in your favor. There isn't. Your well-being is not part of the plan.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
              I have found your diatribes interesting reads..BUT they are difficult reads as you seem to have forgotten how to use the "paragraph"!!!!

If you break up your rants a bit they would be a lot easier to read. It's like stopping to breath after a few sentences.

And this comment does not just point to you..many others seem to have forgotten their basic English courses such as how to use punctuation, correct spelling, grammar, sentence structure...
              Remember TO-TOO-TWO all mean something different as does THEIR, THERE etc.

This site is read by many all over the world and it is embarrassing to see such awful writing.

I understand abbreviations and jargon but I shudder to think how many of you have awful handwriting too! I also recognize that some of you are trying to be cute...keep your day jobs and leave the comedy to the professionals.

Today let your computer do the spell checking ...that will help a lot...then how about proof reading the post two times before hitting the post key..you'd be surprised as to how much you'll redo or fix.

Cactus Man
              And today, the role of "Mrs.SeatDown/Joey" will be played by Cactus Man.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                Unlike a natural person, Exxon (or a PAC) is not allowed to cast a ballot.
                Corporations are entitled to promote their goods and services through free speech. I do not believe that corporations are entitled to all the rights enumerated in the constitution. Influencing elections should not be within their rights.

Sorry, but I am simply out of sympathy for national and international corporations that have no interest in what is best for America. When the profit margin is your first and only commandment, you can be sure that loyalty to country isn't part of the plan.

And don't forget, this ruling also applies to the unions.
                Last edited by SpiffPeters; 01-21-2010, 05:24 PM.

Comment

And don't forget, this ruling also applies to the unions.
                  I have no problem with labor unions being able to engage in political speech, in right to work states. I just don't think people should be forced to pay for it as a condition of employment.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                    I have no problem with labor unions being able to engage in political speech, in right to work states. I just don't think people should be forced to pay for it as a condition of employment.
                    I have a huge problem with it.

Unions, corporations, PACs etc use money to buy access that you and I can't afford, giving their "free speech" wider exposure and better access than yours or mine. They therefore have better and more effective ability to promote their agenda. Not only do they influence politicians directly, they also use their influence to shape public opinion.

I don't see the difference between actually being able to cast a ballot versus influencing the casting of ballots. In both cases, the "haves" exert undue influence over public policy by working the system. The "have nots" can't do that. So to me, the distinction that corporations, unions or other organizations can't cast ballots seems to be more or less a technicality. Strings are being pulled by persons that stand to profit with no respect for the public interest.

Of course, I also still haven't got a clue how a lobbyist that buys a plate at a $5000 breakfast so that he can influence a congressman or senator somehow isn't a clear-cut ethics violation.

Until and unless we can neutralize or at least substantially mitigate the effects of money, the agenda of the few will continue to reign. Yes I know this sounds impossible. I don't believe it is, I just believe that there are powerful forces inside and outside the government that would never let it happen.

Comment

At some point I'll get around to reading the majority and dissenting opinions on the supreme court case. A lot goes into those decisions the justices don't simply vote how they feel things should work. Unlike votes they have to come to a conclusion based on the law and precedents that have been set previously. Judges can and do disagree with their own rulings at personal levels but for a judge the law is the law even if they don't like it. Bad laws are the problem of the legislative branch. The judicial can only use other laws to invalidate or suspend bad ones.

While I would have loved for the courts to deviate from the corporate person-hood standard I did not expect them too.

We are in a tough position. They only way to correct the problem of money having a direct correlation to the success of a campaign would be through the legislature. Companies can effectively buy the votes in the legislature as it is now. So getting meaningful change to the status quo is near impossible.

Comment

I like steak! Mmmmmmm!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
                          Companies can effectively buy the votes in the legislature as it is now. So getting meaningful change to the status quo is near impossible.
                          Game over. Game, set, match.

If I were in a union I would have a problem with part of my dues going to actively endorsing a candidate that I would not vote for.

Natural persons have one voice, one vote. Corporations have many, many voices but no vote. I'll let the corporations have one vote if they are limited to as powerful a voice as I have in the public debate.

The idea that material wealth trumps all and is the only metric by which everything is measured is corrupting. If one has enough money, he/she can have literally anything they want. How we arrived at this juncture where the dollar is all that matters is largely due to a single natural flaw in human nature. Greed.

If you can afford it, it can't be bad.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                            I like steak! Mmmmmmm!!!!!!
                            Me gusta demasiado filete!! Mmmmmmmm

Canucksartech parece hambre!! Hambre!!
                            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Working...
                            X