Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Labels that don't fit

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Labels that don't fit

    Mark and Josh have done a good job of keeping this Forum open to all sorts of discussions including the very touchy topic of politics. They remind us to keep things light and respectful, which in my opinion is difficult at times but allows us to understand opposing views more calmly. When President Bush was in office I was opposed to some his policies and now that President Obama is at the helm I am opposed to many of the things he is trying to do (taxing medical benefits, removing the tax credit on mortgage payments, etc.). I think of myself as open minded and willing to decide based on actions rather than talk. I don't get much of a chance to debate or challenge liberals on this forum because I am not aware of any. Even folks who disagree with some of President Bush's decisions such as myself and Lenny, do not see eye to eye. What I'm getting at is I have no use for left wing organizations and the disrespectful message they put out, I put folks like Rush in the same category. Both extremes believe they have the best interest of the American public at heart but what they are really doing is pushing their own agenda and crushing free thinking and free choice. I like Bill O'Reilly and Glen Beck, although Beck's a little nutty, they are out spoken and challenge inappropriate behavior. All I need is accurate News reporting, the truth, in order to make up my mind. I voted for PResident Obama but continued bailouts to failed corporations, stimulus bills that do nothing to improve our economy, spending bills loaded with pork, proposed legislation to increase my taxes and lack of meaningful change have so far convinced me my vote was a waste! Don't call me a liberal, don't label me if that if it does not fit just because you are upset. I am an American who is sick and tired of being lied to by both parties. I want my borders secured, I want everyone who works here to pay taxes! I want all our legislators held accountable for their actions and NO MORE PORK!!! I want to buy what I consume from a country called America. I want my fellow Americans to live within their means and not get in over their heads in credit debt and mortgage payments that I am then burdened with through increased taxes. I have not taken the easy route and joined a group who will tell me what to think, God gave me free will and I use it to decide for myself. Blogging is great it lets us get our thoughts out to others and gives us an opportunity exchange ideas, but it will take more than talk to save our country, more than insults and compliments. How do we reach our politicians with our dissatisfaction? America has policied the world and played nice with the menbers of the United Nations and it's gotten us nowhere. Dictators are lauching missles, building nuclear devices and planning violence. Do we stand divided or united?
    Great post, wish I could nominate it myself! Thanks for bringing it back to life. Clearly the author is a visionary.
    Last edited by Frankiarmz; 01-21-2010, 09:54 AM.

  • #2
    Re: Labels that don't fit

    Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    Mark and Josh have done a good job of keeping this Forum open to all sorts of discussions including the very touchy topic of politics. They remind us to keep things light and respectful, which in my opinion is difficult at times but allows us to understand opposing views more calmly. When President Bush was in office I was opposed to some his policies and now that President Obama is at the helm I am opposed to many of the things he is trying to do (taxing medical benefits, removing the tax credit on mortgage payments, etc.). I think of myself as open minded and willing to decide based on actions rather than talk. I don't get much of a chance to debate or challenge liberals on this forum because I am not aware of any. Even folks who disagree with some of President Bush's decisions such as myself and Lenny, do not see eye to eye. What I'm getting at is I have no use for left wing organizations and the disrespectful message they put out, I put folks like Rush in the same category. Both extremes believe they have the best interest of the American public at heart but what they are really doing is pushing their own agenda and crushing free thinking and free choice. I like Bill O'Reilly and Glen Beck, although Beck's a little nutty, they are out spoken and challenge inappropriate behavior. All I need is accurate News reporting, the truth, in order to make up my mind. I voted for PResident Obama but continued bailouts to failed corporations, stimulus bills that do nothing to improve our economy, spending bills loaded with pork, proposed legislation to increase my taxes and lack of meaningful change have so far convinced me my vote was a waste! Don't call me a liberal, don't label me if that if it does not fit just because you are upset. I am an American who is sick and tired of being lied to by both parties. I want my borders secured, I want everyone who works here to pay taxes! I want all our legislators held accountable for their actions and NO MORE PORK!!! I want to buy what I consume from a country called America. I want my fellow Americans to live within their means and not get in over their heads in credit debt and mortgage payments that I am then burdened with through increased taxes. I have not taken the easy route and joined a group who will tell me what to think, God gave me free will and I use it to decide for myself. Blogging is great it lets us get our thoughts out to others and gives us an opportunity exchange ideas, but it will take more than talk to save our country, more than insults and compliments. How do we reach our politicians with our dissatisfaction? America has policied the world and played nice with the menbers of the United Nations and it's gotten us nowhere. Dictators are lauching missles, building nuclear devices and planning violence. Do we stand divided or united?
    I`m sorry Frank Utopia dosen`t exist yet and fox news a tad to bias for me.

    Tony

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Labels that don't fit

      Well Frankie, historically, we stand divided About the only time we unite is when someone punches us in the eye and then we rally for the fight but when it's all done we go back to the same divisive politics that have continued since the day the constitution was signed. It's the process. It's what makes the Democracy work. If we all agreed all the time, all sorts of bad laws and policies would get passed. If we all agreed we would have nuked Iran back in the 80's
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Labels that don't fit

        I don't know..That was a long time ago..I don't post political stuff anymore.
        This is how I'm feeling.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7LERhz-s8k

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Labels that don't fit

          HAHA that was a good movie. Just taking care of business!

          G3

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Labels that don't fit

            Originally posted by afm View Post
            i`m sorry frank utopia dosen`t exist yet and fox news a tad to bias for me.

            Tony:d
            unlike msnbc??????
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Labels that don't fit

              Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              I don't know..That was a long time ago..I don't post political stuff anymore.
              This is how I'm feeling.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7LERhz-s8k
              FAA GET ABOUT IT "" We had great rock fights with those guys in the 50s. Friends the next day. There grandmays were feedin Us little Irishmen, Yellin Munga Munga. life was simple,
              life was good. We called them dumb Guinees, they called us dumb Harps. I miss those Boston friends. We really loved one another from the heart. even Murphy was welcome.
              FRANK A lil bocci. rock fight?
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Labels that don't fit

                I reject the premise that liberals or conservatives are the problem. Both ideologies have their pro's and con's, and I believe they both bring good qualities to our way of life. They keep each other in balance.

                Liberals wanted child labor ended, a forty hour work week, women allowed to vote, SSI, Medicare, OSHA, clean air and water, civil rights. Are these bad things?

                Conservatives want less (or no ) taxes and less government interference. To which I ask, would you do away with the FDA, FCC, FAA, FBI....

                In a country of over 300 million people, there are no simple, one size fits all policies, despite what the pundits may say. It's a complex society we find ourselves in and getting along is in large part a dance of compromise.

                As for O'Rielly and Beck, or any Fox commentator, I've little time or interest in their brand of entertainment. I find their behavior inappropriate. Walter Cronkite or Edward R. Murrow would never have classified someone as a patriot or pinhead. They also wouldn't not have called a guest a pinhead or attacked them on air with vicious lies. Cronkite and Murrow had the integrity and professional decorum to also not cry on camera or find humor in poisoning the speaker of the house. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I just fail to see how O'Rielly or Beck enhance and elevate the public discourse. And these guys are the least extreme of the right wing.

                O'Rielly likes to commplain about Media Matters for America, but as anyone who has even bothered to look at their site can clearly see, the videos and transcripts are not spliced or edited to advance portray the subject in any particular light. If the report is unflattering, perhaps viewing the subject outside of their carefully control presentation reveals the viciousness, unfairness and out right lies of their 'reporting'.

                Nothing is taken out of context. David Brock, the man who started Media Matters, use to be involved in the media arm of the RNC and was in part responsible for many of their anti-dem, anti-clinton campaigns back in the 90's.

                If you want to see how a political party manages their message, Media Matters is an excellent resource. They've busted Fox News reporters, reading verbatim, RNC talking points without attribution. In other words, they passing political memo's off as real news stories.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Labels that don't fit

                  Too bad I can't write that kind of Thread now that I'm out of "Politics"
                  I give you guys who are party loyalists a lot of credit, to give up independant thought and follow blindly takes courage.Keep up the good work.
                  One last thought, I reject the possibility of a better, alternative future if we follow the same broken, moronic process expecting change.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Labels that don't fit

                    I have found your diatribes interesting reads..BUT they are difficult reads as you seem to have forgotten how to use the "paragraph"!!!!

                    If you break up your rants a bit they would be a lot easier to read. It's like stopping to breath after a few sentences.

                    And this comment does not just point to you..many others seem to have forgotten their basic English courses such as how to use punctuation, correct spelling, grammar, sentence structure...
                    Remember TO-TOO-TWO all mean something different as does THEIR, THERE etc.

                    This site is read by many all over the world and it is embarrassing to see such awful writing.

                    I understand abbreviations and jargon but I shudder to think how many of you have awful handwriting too! I also recognize that some of you are trying to be cute...keep your day jobs and leave the comedy to the professionals.

                    Today let your computer do the spell checking ...that will help a lot...then how about proof reading the post two times before hitting the post key..you'd be surprised as to how much you'll redo or fix.


                    Cactus Man

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Labels that don't fit

                      Excellent bipartisanship!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Labels that don't fit

                        I vote Cactusman on the payroll!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Labels that don't fit

                          I had some soup today and the label was falling of the can - it was too big for the can.
                          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Labels that don't fit

                            I get ofended by people who get ofended
                            9/11/01, never forget.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Labels that don't fit

                              Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                              I give you guys who are party loyalists a lot of credit, to give up independant thought and follow blindly takes courage.
                              I'm not sure who you are pointing at, but I going to guess I am on your short list. For the record, I am a registered independent.

                              While I subscribe to many of the tenets of the Democratic platform, their ability to practice party discipline is pathetically atrophied. As a current example of how ineffective the Democratic party truly is, when the Republican party held a minor majority, nowhere close to 60 votes, they managed to give the president virtually everything he asked for and then some.

                              I'm like most Republicans in that I have no patience for a political party that can not keep its members in line and get legislative results.

                              It is time for a legitimate third party. That is why I vote Green party at the local level. True grass roots movement can take a generation or more to build up a credible third party. You can't buy a bunch of fancy buses and fund the operation with corporate money. Not if you are trying to build a true grass roots movement.

                              Under the current iteration of the Democratic party, the new rule is the minority party decides the legislative agenda. Even with 60 votes the Democrats are virtually useless. Of course a number of broadcast networks stand at the ready on a daily basis to conflate and distort anything said or done by a political opponent to gain advantage. Truth and context are discarded as inconvenient and counter-productive. These outlets can cry about whatever their perception of bias in other outlets may be, but the evidence is on view day in and day out that they are a hard core, partisan outlet. If they were to cut across the political spectrum both ways I may inclined to give them a listen. But the script is the same day in and day out.

                              By the way, when someone uses the word teabag as a verb in "Teabag them before they teabag you" what does it mean?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X