Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will The Electric Car be Made?

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
    Electric cars when in an accident pose as a chemical hazard that requires hazmat teams to address the situation before the EMT's Firemen and Police can even help you in an accident when you're burning and screaming and the heat is getting intense.
    I don't remember seeing a hazmat team for a crashed Prius.

As someone mentioned, it all comes back to either coal or gas to operate them and what happens when you run out of battery on the I-95?
    If you run out of battery, then it will switch to gasoline operation. My commute is 35 miles a day, I would just make it on a charge w/o any gas usage.

Electricity provides you a lot more options than gas. You can use coal (which we have 25% of in America), nuclear (which is practically limitless if you build the plants), or fossil fuels. (I'm leaving out hydro, because that is basically all tapped out; and the other things like solar and wind are too expensive).

My biggest concern is actually that without the big inefficient gas engine, the car is going to be really frigging cold in the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by DSurette View Post
      The electric car sounds like a great idea, but the power to charge the batteries has to come from somewhere. Some large cities have brownouts now during the peak demand in the summer. What will it be like when everybody comes home from work and plugs in their car? I think the demand will be so great that even staggering the charging times will not alleviate the problem. So the demand for gasoline goes down but the demand for electrical power goes up. I think the country would have to invest a lot in nuclear and wind power before electric cars will be practical in a large scale.
      What would be great is a solar powered charger at your home. Something that soaks up the sun during the day while you are away and stores it in batteries which are then used to recharge your car when you get home. That way the impact on the electric grid would be minimal.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Unless they can make a car that runs on water or dreams, there will be risk of injury from fuel leakage during an accident. Diesel and gasoline are no fun when leaked and ignited, propane and hydrogen, no thanks! stuck in rising water with an electric car and I don't know how many amps, say your prayers. The batteries for an electric car require chemicals and production which cause pollution, but once in use solar charging staions at home or on the road could drastically cut down drain on the grid. disposing of used or defective batteries would be costly. No free rides, but we could get further away from foreign oil by going electric. I think.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
          I don't remember seeing a hazmat team for a crashed Prius.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...sh+test&page=1

I cannot find a true, real crash that isn't a mock when there's such an impact that both battery cases break wide open. The fluid is one thing, it's what's inside that becomes even more dangerous.

And since the other vehicle most likely involved will be gas, the point of ignition hazard is extreme.

And to think that the world cared about a few simple batteries in the garbage, and now we're building twin sets of 100 pound batteries for $4000 and up. Sheesh!!!!!!
          Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 04-09-2009, 09:31 PM.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Do any of the Californians own a Honda CNG? Know anyone that does?

Experiences?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Electric cars when in an accident pose as a chemical hazard that requires hazmat teams to address the situation before the EMT's Firemen and Police can even help you in an accident when you're burning and screaming and the heat is getting intense.
              I don't know about hazmat, but I do remember there being an issue with the jaws of life. I googled it, since someone accused me of making the whole thing up.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...02/147306.html
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                I don't know about hazmat, but I do remember there being an issue with the jaws of life. I googled it, since someone accused me of making the whole thing up.

Wow, great find!

And with up to 500 volts running through some wires in the vehicles, as opposed to 12 volts in traditional cars

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Do any of the Californians own a Honda CNG? Know anyone that does?

Experiences?

Thanks.

J.C.
                  Another bomb on wheels. Can't imagine hydrogen fuel cell during a fire.
                  http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...06/455943.html
                  Looks like the Honda CNG is dead in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post

A 12 volt car battery can kill, not so much the voltage but the amps. I would assume the amps runnung through a plugin electric car must be substantial and deadly. Wonder if the jaws of life could cause a spark and explode a hydrogen fuel cell or CNG vehicle? These all pose serious risks and hazards.

Comment

Natural gas is a bomb waiting to go off as well.

And guess what happens when people can fuel their vehicle at their home?

Price will go skyrocketing high...making it much harder for the poor people to pay for simple heating of their home.

Great idea IMO, but causes as many problems as it does cures. And besides, who wants to come up on a crashed vehicle wondering it the canister has a small leak or not? To encapsulate with heavy steel is what we'd think to do...

but engineers and cost proficiency sp? << if that's even the right word...will design it with thin steel, multiple crumple bends and the statement, "This will withstand all crashes" and as soon as they product hits the pavement, people start dieing and that proves the attitude I'm printing.

Just like the gas tanks outside the frame rails.....it took death to fix the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        Another bomb on wheels. Can't imagine hydrogen fuel cell during a fire.
                        http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...06/455943.html
                        Looks like the Honda CNG is dead in the water.
                        I skimmed the article but didn't see any reference to "a bomb on wheels".

Just some manipulation of the market.

J.C.

(Remember my post about a Honda Civic VX around the 1995 model year? That was 14 years ago! Hybrid-Schmybrid )

Comment

Natural gas is a bomb waiting to go off as well.

And guess what happens when people can fuel their vehicle at their home?

Price will go skyrocketing high...making it much harder for the poor people to pay for simple heating of their home.

Great idea IMO, but causes as many problems as it does cures. And besides, who wants to come up on a crashed vehicle wondering it the canister has a small leak or not? To encapsulate with heavy steel is what we'd think to do...

but engineers and cost proficiency sp? << if that's even the right word...will design it with thin steel, multiple crumple bends and the statement, "This will withstand all crashes" and as soon as they product hits the pavement, people start dieing and that proves the attitude I'm printing.

Just like the gas tanks outside the frame rails.....it took death to fix the problem.
                          But many people have been operating Propane vehicles for decades. There would be problems I'm sure. But just the engineering feat of putting a gasoline operated vehicle has been hundreds of problems & solutions over the years.

J.C.

Comment

That's a very valid point, and propane is certainly more unstable than NG.

Where, in this country or others do they use propane for vehicles?

It would be unheard of in this area. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Comment

That's a very valid point, and propane is certainly more unstable than NG.

Where, in this country or others do they use propane for vehicles?

It would be unheard of in this area. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
                              Honestly, mostly the Propane dealers! Run the truck right off the big tank.

I've ran into a few guys that ran their pickups off Propane. Been told it's cleaner to the engine internals. Usually been cheaper.

J.C.

Comment

I had a client who decided he was going to invest some money into natural gas cars. I had just finished an incredible remodel of his house where he ended up with a two bedroom, twelve bath home. About a month after all the work was done he had me come back and install a new high volume gas line so he could have a natural gas compressor installed at his house. He had his new Porsche Carrera converted to natural gas and was convinced he was going to make a fortune..... He didn't.

Another quick story, my son Jared's Police Department bought a bunch of natural gas vehicles but only had one place where they could fuel up. The Chief got so tired of towing the cars back in when they ran out of gas he said they could only drive within a few mile radius of the pump. Before long they retired all of their natural gas cars.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X