Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will The Electric Car be Made?

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
    That's a very valid point, and propane is certainly more unstable than NG.

Where, in this country or others do they use propane for vehicles?

It would be unheard of in this area. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

It's actually a pretty popular fuel for fleet vehicles and used quite a bit. Here is a video about a company who does conversions.

http://blip.tv/play/AeGNS4+mMA

Mark

* The video is 35 minutes long but it gives you a lot of information of where propane is going. I did not watch it but I listened to it while I was on other sites.
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 04-09-2009, 11:18 PM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
      Where, in this country or others do they use propane for vehicles?
      My mom's best friend's husband was an accountant for a propane company, his company car ran off of propane.

Comment

a considerable amount of our public buses run on cng. along with some taxis.

probably 10 years ago i did a marketing research study panel on the feasibility of installing home cng refuelling stations.

it sounded good to me. never seen it take off.

there is a brand new shell station in town that installed a hydrogen gas/fuel pump. they refine it on-site and from a good source they give it away right now. there is not a big demand as there are few private vehicles that run on it.

seems like most european countries run on diesel.

my gas 350c'' w4500 averaged 5mpg over 9 years

my new diesel turbo 3 liter sprinter is averaging 15 mpg combined. on the highway it's 20mpg. sure i only have 1400 miles, but as it gets broken in, it should go up

since fuel is back down from last years high, people are driving again. when fuel was at its high, traffic was less. it's a trade off.

i was reviewing my taxes i spent over $4000 on fuel last year and i don't even drive much.

i hate to think what mark spent as he's on the road more that home.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

i personally don't think that we can keep going to way that we're going for too much longer.

i read or heard somewhere that of the 100% of the fuel used to move a a vehicle with an internal combustion engine, only 10% of the energy produced is used to move the driver.

in the 70's when gas was cheap, i can remember my dad driving all over the city to save $10 on something. what's up with that?

i think that we'll have to start getting used to the fact that we're going to have to start sticking closer to home for work.

with technology going the way it's going, i see less travelling for meetings. tele/video-conferences, smaller displacement engines, working from home instead of going to the office, at home schooling via the internet.

up here the main mode of transportation is the snowmobile. people are complaining because the EPA is forcing the manufacturers to phase out the two stroke engine. i think it's a good thing. more weight, but less pollution.

Chrysler has just recently come under fire for their big horsepower, large displacement products.

we have the technology to make the changes, we just need someone to enforce the changes.

Vince

up here if the wind isn't coming from one direction it's coming from the other. yet we only have one "experimental" wind generator. we could power the whole town if there was enough of these installed, yet through our own stubborness and job security issues, change is happening too slowly.

Comment

I have this vision in my head of hundreds of extension cords hanging out of windows on Commonwealth Ave.

Am I the only one that see's this flaw in a "city" based electric car? For christs sakes EVERYBODY in the city either lives in an apartment or condo. Where in hell are they gonna plug in? Stupid stupid stupid
            sigpic

Comment

As I rercall being a young lad in chicago. They had electric bus's. the streets had wires above and the bus's had an arm that stretched up to them. Jeez now I'm thinking that might have been in an episode of speed racer.. Can anybody confirm this and why did they get rid of them?
              Last edited by saysflushable; 04-11-2009, 09:34 AM. Reason: worst speller in history

Comment

If you go to Fairbanks many of the parking lots had what looked like parking meters in front of the stalls but they were for plugging block heaters in. Our local Malls have dedicated spots for electric cars to recharge. It would take a while but it wouldn't be that big of a deal to do it.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

saysflushable

I think you have in mind the old timer Trolley Cars. I've ridden in them on a special site setup for historic street cars.

These two YouTube videos aren't mine, but I have been to this place. Seeing them live is far better than a video but they give you the general idea. The picture is from another web site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mZ_y...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4UAD...eature=related

Last edited by Woussko; 04-11-2009, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X