Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will The Electric Car be Made?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Will The Electric Car be Made?

    I know in the 90's GM made the EV1 and supposedly it worked so well they took them all back and crushed them. Wonder if we will see plugin electric cars again? I heard about the GMVolt but who knows where GM is headed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q0pj...eature=related

  • #2
    Re: Will The Electric Car be Made?

    Frank,

    Thanks for the YouTube video on the electric car. Sure missed the sound of the gasoline engine while on the ride and noticed that we didn't stop at all the stop signs. Hope the electric car or combination hybrid comes on strong enough to make a difference. What's your bet on what you'll see first - electric car or 1/2 Ridgid Cordless Impact Wrench? Sorry about that, but couldn't avoid the dig.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Will The Electric Car be Made?

      The electric car sounds like a great idea, but the power to charge the batteries has to come from somewhere. Some large cities have brownouts now during the peak demand in the summer. What will it be like when everybody comes home from work and plugs in their car? I think the demand will be so great that even staggering the charging times will not alleviate the problem. So the demand for gasoline goes down but the demand for electrical power goes up. I think the country would have to invest a lot in nuclear and wind power before electric cars will be practical in a large scale.
      When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Will The Electric Car be Made?

        Be cool if we all had adult BigWheels.

        J.C.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Will The Electric Car be Made?

          Originally posted by Spinalzo View Post
          Frank,

          Thanks for the YouTube video on the electric car. Sure missed the sound of the gasoline engine while on the ride and noticed that we didn't stop at all the stop signs. Hope the electric car or combination hybrid comes on strong enough to make a difference. What's your bet on what you'll see first - electric car or 1/2 Ridgid Cordless Impact Wrench? Sorry about that, but couldn't avoid the dig.
          No harm, I could use a good laugh. I'm sure we will see a plugin within the next couple of years. Glad we don't have to depend on Ridgid for our auto needs, they would offer two models to the competitions ten! A Ridgid plugin car would not be able to be charged because they would not pay Bosch for the licensing rights. Don't get me started.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Will The Electric Car be Made?

            Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Be cool if we all had adult BigWheels.

            J.C.
            I would buy one in a heartbeat but it would have to come with a cushy seat for my soft butt. I've often wondered if they make a grown up size, sure would be fun. I still miss the pedal cars from my childhood. Come to think of it they did work for the Flintstones.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Will The Electric Car be Made?

              Loved my BigWheel man. Right down to the plastic handbrake.

              Memories.

              J.C.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Will The Electric Car be Made?

                Originally posted by DSurette View Post
                The electric car sounds like a great idea, but the power to charge the batteries has to come from somewhere. Some large cities have brownouts now during the peak demand in the summer. What will it be like when everybody comes home from work and plugs in their car? I think the demand will be so great that even staggering the charging times will not alleviate the problem. So the demand for gasoline goes down but the demand for electrical power goes up. I think the country would have to invest a lot in nuclear and wind power before electric cars will be practical in a large scale.
                I think sales of plugin cars would spark installation of solar panels where practical. We have plenty of places where solar charging stations could go. There would be plenty of electricity and gasoline saved as plugins gain popularity. No more wasted fuel warming up cars in the winter, idling at traffic lights, or sitting in traffic. There is the pollution generated by manufacturing those batteries and recycling them. No free rides, but the technology is getting better.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Will The Electric Car be Made?

                  Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Loved my BigWheel man. Right down to the plastic handbrake.

                  Memories.

                  J.C.
                  Yeah I remember when my son Jared use to ride his Big Wheel down our hill and he looked like Dorthy on the Wizard of Oz as he flew off the end of our lawn. Hey maybe that is why he became a pilot.

                  Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                  I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Will The Electric Car be Made?

                    Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    Yeah I remember when my son Jared use to ride his Big Wheel down our hill and he looked like Dorthy on the Wizard of Oz as he flew off the end of our lawn. Hey maybe that is why he became a pilot.

                    Mark
                    Wait til Brenda finds out you are mixing up the kids again! I thought that was Jana not Jared and she isn't a pilot!
                    I love my plumber

                    "My Hero"

                    Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Will The Electric Car be Made?

                      Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                      Wait til Brenda finds out you are mixing up the kids again! I thought that was Jana not Jared and she isn't a pilot!
                      From behind my curtain it is often hard to tell but I'm sure it was Jared as the girls did not dare ride down the hill. Perhaps ET would have been a better choice of a character.


                      Mark
                      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 04-09-2009, 07:54 PM.
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                      I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Will The Electric Car be Made?

                        Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        From behind my curtain it is often hard to tell but I'm sure it was Jared as the girls did not dare ride down the hill. Perhaps ET would have been a better choice of a character.


                        Mark
                        The Godfather. He knows all. He sees all Fredo.

                        J.C.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Will The Electric Car be Made?

                          Electric cars when in an accident pose as a chemical hazard that requires hazmat teams to address the situation before the EMT's Firemen and Police can even help you in an accident when you're burning and screaming and the heat is getting intense.

                          I had to write it that way so everyone understands that when seconds count, it's horrible waiting for the white suits to show up to clear the area of known poisons found in batteries. Have you all seen the size of those?



                          As someone mentioned, it all comes back to either coal or gas to operate them and what happens when you run out of battery on the I-95?

                          SCREWED!

                          Was that Jeff Bridges narrating that video? It sure sounded like him.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Will The Electric Car be Made?

                            Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            The Godfather. He knows all. He sees all Fredo.

                            J.C.
                            It's an old habit. I spent my life trying not to be careless. Women and children can be careless but not men. How's your boy?

                            .....Don Vito
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Will The Electric Car be Made?

                              Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              It's an old habit. I spent my life trying not to be careless. Women and children can be careless but not men. How's your boy?

                              .....Don Vito
                              Fine, fine Don Mark. I will go now (nervously kissing the Ridgid 118 on your finger.)

                              J.C.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X