Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recycling, how far do YOU go?

some of the larger oil users have installed furnaces that burn used oil,

when I was at the school doing maintenance, the school bought used oil to burn in the boilers, this was in the 1980's.

a old friend of mine, had a machine that was made for a rail road company at the turn of the last century, and it would purify the used oil, it heated it up to about 600F, and then was transfered to another chamber, and would be pressurized, and put though a filter made out of fine clay, (fullers earth), and a paper sack, and the oil from gas engines would come out like new in look, (he would send it in and have it tested and came back as oil as non detergent oil, and met all specifications of a non detergent oil, and he would resell it, (I guess at one time engine re builders like it for the first run),

I do not know what happened to the machine, (I nearly bought it from him once, he has passed on now),
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Re: Recylcing, how far do YOU go?

We're pretty intense about our use and reuse. We rinse egg shells and use them in the garden. We save our wood stove ash and use it in the garden and compost heap. We compost ALL remnant vegetation. Remnant meat parts go to the dogs. We paint our tractor implements with old oil to prevent rust and corrosion. We got an old, torn up pull-behind camper and we're rebuilding it as a Guinea fowl coop using all scrap wood and metal. And so on...
      Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
      I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
      My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

Comment

Re: Recylcing, how far do YOU go? ALL THE WAY

Marin recycling has a 74 % recycling rate topping the state of Ca. Who beats that?
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

used motor oil furnaces/heaters, really good idea.

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me4.html

there's actually alot of sites on the internet about this.

there's a guy up here that heats his shop with it.

Vince

Comment

i guess i should put my two cents in.

we just recently got an aluminum can and plastic bottle recycling depot. so we recycle anything of that nature.

as i mentioned earilier, i get a lot of wood that was destined for the dump.

our garbage foot print is really small. we make a lot of homemade meals so we have very little in the way of garbage. i had to ask myself once when i was eating pre-packaged meals, "why am i buying this $h!t? i don't even like it".

if we need bedding, dishes, work clothes, etc, we go to our local Deacon's cupboard. it's like a second hand store.

it certainly is a bit of a surprise to me to see how many of the members recycle.

Vince

Comment

O.K. Fellas how many trucks loaded with plastic from the garbage dump transfer stations have you seen going to the local refinery? How about glass, have you ever talked to a truck driver bringing a truck load of glass bottles back to the glass refineries? When I worked for a place that built the window you probebly have in your door right now.(ODL) they would get crates of defective glass. They would call the glass manufacturer and get credit and then, DRUM ROLE we would dump it because they did not want it back. They don't recycle glass!!!!.

when I hauled garbage for waste management I saw all the seperated milk jugs go right to the dump with all the other garbage.

But if seperating the stuff makes people feel good and costs your city more money I say go for it.

Comment

What's the difference between a recycler and a pack rat? Cause down Maine we are all pack rats. It's the law.
                sigpic

Comment

here is a place that does use the recycled plastic materials and make new products with them.
                  http://www.sandhillplastics.com/index.html
                  and there good products, I have used some of there sheeting, I wish they were easer to find,

here is a list of some of the company that recycle plastics,
                  http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/recycled_plastic.htm
                  Last edited by BHD; 04-10-2009, 08:46 PM.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Paper, metals, plastics, glass, garden waste all go to the recycler's. I even compost kitchen and non ligninous garden materials on site. Occasionally piss on the pile too. Good source of nitrogen.

Comment

Working...
                    X