Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recylcing, how far do YOU go?

i straighten bent nails to a point.

what i mean is, if the bent nail is going to be stuborn, i throw it away. i have my limits.

this is not so much geared towards saving the earth, more towards your own personal habits.

Vince

i just saved some mahogani wood from the dump that would have been crushed and never thought about again. now that i have it, i'll re-use it (re-constitute), and make "functional art" with it.

Re: Recylcing, how far do YOU go?

a few years back I ate some left overs.
    sigpic

Comment

We recycle everything. We have to. All scrap metal, paper, glass and plastics are sorted and picked up by the city. If we don't sort it properly they stop picking up my trash. A few weeks of no trash pickup service and things gets ugly around here.

I give the old guy at our shop scrap copper. Someone comes by everyday to pick up our old water heaters and boilers for pennies per pound.

I've even used old ear wax to seal envelopes, for lip balm, as a laxative...

Comment

Re: Recycling, how far do YOU go?

I feel I am reasonable conservative, when it comes to use up, re use, and wear it out, and recycling.

I do not use a lot of "used" nails, but I do not throw them away either, we put them in steel buckets or drums, and when we get enough of them I dump them in the scrap iron trailer,

I cut apart and use a lot of used steel, any then that is unusable goes to scrap,

used wood save it or if it is nearly unusable burn it for heat or put in a burn pile for a snowy day, after burning go through the ashes with magnets for the nails,

copper, aluminum, and other metals get recycled.

most old machinery, cars, trucks, that have usable parts I keep around to get as much use out of them as possible, was given a good 1980 F350 and setting it up for a welding truck, parting out a mid 80's truck in the process,

My barn's old hay mow, is full of old parts that may be usable in the future, pulleys, belts, hydraulic cylinders, electrical boxes, some wire, and other,

our current car came from a scrap yard, my son was there (actually working there for a few days as he was waiting for some parts), and a guy brought in a car, and the owner of the scrap yard said he would give him $125, (going value of a junk car at that time,), my son got looking at it, and asked the scrap yard owner, what he would want for it, he said give me the $125, same as he payed, and he could have it, so we got the car for $125, yes it needed tires all around and a sensor and an alternator and battery, but we have only drive it for 60,000 miles now, and it get 30+ mpg, on the highway. I thought we did OK, and it looks good to.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          The environment thanks you for going the extra mile.
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I'm good with throwing glass, plastic and cans into the recycle bin. My pet peeve is that my town charges per gallon to turn in used motor oil , antifreeze, other chemicals and batteries. I've pointed out to some of the officials that by making it free people would be encouraged to do the right thing, and stop dumping their used motor oil down our sewers! I also argued the point with some of the stores that sell motor oil, hoping they would accept the old oil after selling the new product. Have not been very successful so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              I'm good with throwing glass, plastic and cans into the recycle bin. My pet peeve is that my town charges per gallon to turn in used motor oil , antifreeze, other chemicals and batteries. I've pointed out to some of the officials that by making it free people would be encouraged to do the right thing, and stop dumping their used motor oil down our sewers! I also argued the point with some of the stores that sell motor oil, hoping they would accept the old oil after selling the new product. Have not been very successful so far.
              National auto parts stores in my area take used motor oil all the time for free. Wonder if they resell it for some other uses? Can it be filtered & brought "back to life"?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                On second thought don't worry about that check you were going to mail me I'll just get it from your wife at the Roundup.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  National auto parts stores in my area take used motor oil all the time for free. Wonder if they resell it for some other uses? Can it be filtered & brought "back to life"?

J.C.
                  Yes, used oil is recycled. I used some information on the EPA website I think it was to make the argument for these different city agencies and businesses to accept the used oil. There were all sorts of figures and claims that millions of barrels of crude could be saved if we used more recycled oil. The filtering processes are very good and the end product is fine.

Comment

I save my used oil(from lawnmower, snowblower, etc.) and bring it in when I go see my mechanic. He gets rid of it for me gratis. You might wanna try that with your own mechanic, Frank.
                    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I use a mulching lawn mower and leave the clippings on the lawn. I compost and feed the food scraps to the birds. I bag all my paper and plastics, get cash for my cans and booze bottles. I use synthetic fluids in the car so I contribute far less waste oils than conventional fluids(much longer drain intervals).

As far as environmentally friendly - I all the lights are CFL, I used rain barrels for watering in the summer, try and reuse boxes/packing material, etc.

My latest thing is trying not to use pressure treated wood and instead opting for local Juniper which is similar in rot-resistance to cedar. I made a shed ramp out of it last fall and as the snow melts off it this year I envision more uses for juniper this year. Gonna build a new picnic table and a small deck out of it. No more pressure treated chemicals leaching into the ground.

Comment

I need to start puking right Now!!!!!!!!!!

I recycle copper/brass/aluminum and give scrap steel to the local kids at school for whatever project they have going on. Probably a cover for buying meth.

It's out of my hands at this point.

And anything that burns? Plastic/wood/cardboard/tires......all gets put in the fire barrel and burned so I don't contribute to the landfills.
                        Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 04-09-2009, 08:55 PM.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                          I need to start puking right Now!!!!!!!!!!
                          Have you been eating too much junk food again....?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            In NY if a store or dealership sells oil, they have no choice but to take it back. I usually bring my used oil to Wal-Mart and have had no problems.

Comment

I might approach my mechanic but I'm not too hopeful he'll take it even through it does get recycled and has value. I argued with the manager at my Walmart and he said some locations have "vaculas" sounds like draculas but they are not required by law to take used oil. Why would CT be so backward thinking?

Comment

Working...
                              X