X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's time for ACTION!

In the past few minutes (0800 GMT on 4/11/09), another US ship, a tug, was seized by pirates. The tug is pulling two barges and has a crew of 16 US citizens aboard.

It is time to stop the nonsense of handling the pirates with kid gloves and dispose of them once and for all!

As the direct descendant of one who gave his life fighting pirates over 200 years ago, and whose body (along with his crew) has yet to be returned to us(and I might add is NOT fought for as aggressively as it should be by our government), I say we owe it to Americans traveling everywhere in the world to defend our citizens and their property against such attacks.

These incidents happen in international waters. When they occur aboard a US flagged vessel, (from my way of thinking) they in effect occur on US soil, as a US flagged vessel is an extension of US soil just as an embassy is in a foreign country. There is nothing that prevents us from defending our citizenry or property. I also would note that the hundreds of ships that chose to fly the flag of other nations to avoid the higher costs from complying with inspections and other regulations required of US flagged vessels have done themselves and our country a disservice by doing so. We now have one of the smaller fleets of merchant ships in the world, of which Panama and China I believe are the two biggest. Panama alone has almost 5 times the number of ships registered under their flag as the US does, but many of these are owned by US corporations. Many made the switch back when Panama was under US control and never changed, but others have made the switch since then mostly for monetary reasons.

There are the lives of approximately 200 other hostages to consider, and their safety is foremost, but this anarchy on the high seas must end. France made a move this morning to rescue some of their hostages. Unfortunately the incident ended up with one of the hostages dead (unknown by who at this time) and three or four of the pirates killed in the conflict.

It's time to resurrect a slogan from the time of the Barbary Pirate Wars:

“Millions for defense, not one cent for tribute!”

Where do you think the phrase "...to the shores of tripoli" comes from?

There have been six US Navy ships named after Somers to date. I think that is probably the highest number of ships named after one man in our Navy's history.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: It's time for ACTION!

I couldn't agree more!
    The best hostage negotiation is a red dot on the lead pirates forehead.
    Turn the hostage negotiation around. One pirate dies for every five minutes the US Captain is held hostage.
    Mike
    Last edited by myakka; 04-11-2009, 11:52 AM. Reason: better idea

Comment

Corbin Dallas knows how to negotiate. We should take lessons from him.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oKwg6W05MU

Comment

They need to quit being so PC and go eliminate the bunch of them now. When even France, who many have teased about being sissies, plans an attack on the pirates how can we let this continue to happen?

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

2 things, I agree that something must be done,

2nd, i never knew who Richard Somers was, even though my grandparents used to live on Richard Somers Rd, in Somers NY, I always assumed that he was someone of more local notariaty

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
            I couldn't agree more!
            The best hostage negotiation is a red dot on the lead pirates forehead.
            Turn the hostage negotiation around. One pirate dies for every five minutes the US Captain is held hostage.
            Mike
            So why not equip the ships with some heavy guns, and have a few Navy Seals along who know how to use 'em.

I'd say that them dip **** pirates might think twice when faced with more fire power than they have.

Comment

YO ho Yo ho a pirates life for me....

Avast ye scurvy dogs
              sigpic

Comment

Ahh...The Master has been into the rum again

Comment

Anyone remember the "Q ships" from WWII?

They were freighters with heavy weapons that were concealed with quickly removable panels as a disguise. They would operate alone or follow a convoy as a straggler. When a U-boat came close enough to attack - surprise - surprise.

They could be cheaply made out of a container ship, lots of room for prisoners also, if any were taken.

Crewed by military personnel they would be exempt from international rules for unarmed civilian cargo vessels. No searching for pirates. The pirates would come to them and Viola, problem solved in a few minutes.

When the pirates move their "hunting grounds" a little cosmetic change to the ships silhouette, a little paint and it could relocate to the new area.

Comment

From what I heard, Obama has an idea...

Comment

Working...
                    X