Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Procrastination, is a Disease and I need a 12 step program to fix it Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procrastination, is a Disease and I need a 12 step program to fix it

Today, on Easter,

It took over 3 months to replace a bulb in my right rear tailight on my truck, after countless people have told me it was out.

Every time I made a right hand turn and that fast blinking on the dash always reminded me of it.

It took almost 8.5 months to finally get underneath my truck and drill a hole in the front driveshaft, fill it with expanding foam.

Why would I do such a stupid thing?

When I wrecked my truck last year, I got it back and this clanging noise was apparent through the drive train. It ended up being a counter balancing weight inside the driveshaft that broke free shortly after I got it back, and this piece has been sounding like a loose lug nut in a rim ever since.

Every where I go, it took away the truck's first appearance pulling in a driveway or just rolling down the street, with everyone hearing it.

Foaming that driveshaft and covering the hole fixed the problem instantly, just like me and the body shop guy figured. Cannot...believe it took me this long to do it.

Unbelievable.

What's worse than the above two was carrying my breakfast into my room one day (fried eggs on buttered toast) and between opening the door and juggling a full glass of OJ at the same time,

my eggs followed gravity's path and hit the full glass on my storm door into my office. That streak was 4 feet long and got larger at the bottom, along with yoke and white egg fragments mmm. Just got a little hard like glass after a few days of the sun's rays beating through the glass.

I looked at that unsightly streak for 2 months knowing I had to clean it, but never did. I cleaned it last week and it sucked! Almost a roll of paper towels and enough effort to say I did manual labor in a sweat shop.

Having sooooooooo much going on these days makes it difficult, knowing you prioritize what needs to be done, and what has to be done.

What makes you money,

What makes you make money, a little easier.

Off to clean my truck, again, in my parting thoughts before I go to sleep again. Thinking about it and doing it has been two different things since I realized it.

Feel free to write your pain out, and what just keeps collecting, never gets done.
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 04-13-2009, 12:19 AM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Procrastination, is a Disease and I need a 12 step program to fix it

I've been meaning to do something about my procrastination problem but I just keep putting it off. Actually, some people think I'm apathetic... but I just don't care.

Why DO we drive on a parkway and park in the driveway? Hey, is this thing on?

Comment

Steve, I'll tell ya how to fix that procrastination stuff after while!
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I've been meaning to add my .02 cents here but I never got around to it. Some day I will.......

Comment

My name is toolaholic,I'm a procrastinator,Messy too !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I'm the same way Dunbar

This is how I deal with procrastination. Save up all the things you've been meaning to do and make a list. This list is kept separate and hidden from the Honeydew list. Then, when you just can't tolerate the disorder any longer, take a few days off work. Each day is dedicated to organizing your environment. One day work on the house, the garden, the work truck then your mind and body. You should try it.

Does wonders for your Chi.

Comment

Dunbar, I don't know if procrastination is the right way to describe what you are going through. You run your own business and to me that is a giant accomplishment that requires action. I've been involved with some small business ventures and there is a big difference between thinking about a business, talking about it and actually getting off your butt and making it happen. The people who make things happen are doers not procrastinators. I understand about the little things piling up, but I think that's because you are overwhelmed with important chores. I'm kind of the opposite when it comes to doing things around the house or with the cars and such. My wife hesitates to tell me something needs fixing because she knows I will be right on it and that annoys her, I'm not lying! I don't like clutter or having things broken or dirty. My downfall at this point in my life is not the little stuff that piles up for most folks, it's occupying my life with something really meaningful and rewarding to do. If I could change myself, reprogram my mind, I would be more like you and tackle big things, and not sweat the small stuff. If you are really annoyed with yourself, make a list and either do one thing at a time or get someone to help.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                I'm the same way Dunbar

This is how I deal with procrastination. Save up all the things you've been meaning to do and make a list. This list is kept separate and hidden from the Honeydew list. Then, when you just can't tolerate the disorder any longer, take a few days off work. Each day is dedicated to organizing your environment. One day work on the house, the garden, the work truck then your mind and body. You should try it.

Does wonders for your Chi.
                Have you been watching Martha Stewart?

My wife finally hired some tile guys to finish the hall bath remodel. I started it over a year ago when the galvanized pipe started to leak.

Comment

Steve
                  www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

I was going to delete this thread as meaningless but I just have not gotten to it yet.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

My Dad had a one step program for a young procrastonator that lived with him.

He would take one step and then plant his size 12 boot in my @ss, problem solved.

G3
                      Last edited by G3sprinklers; 04-14-2009, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Congrats Dunbar! The first step in dealing with any disease is admittance. The, umm. . . .so called good news, is that most procrastinators are highly stressed, anxiety ridden, depressed individuals with low-self esteem. The bad news is that even with medication, therapy, reduction in stressors, anxiety and depression procrastinators are still procrastinators.

So, there is no help for you. Just embrace this about yourself and move on.

Now you can't say that nobody has ever provided you with free, DIY psychotherapy.

I understand if it takes you a while to thank me.
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                          Congrats Dunbar! The first step in dealing with any disease is admittance. The, umm. . . .so called good news, is that most procrastinators are highly stressed, anxiety ridden, depressed individuals with low-self esteem. The bad news is that even with medication, therapy, reduction in stressors, anxiety and depression procrastinators are still procrastinators.

Now you can't say that nobody has ever provided you with free, DIY psychotherapy.

I must say I am very impressed with your online prognosis. Having read many of Dunbar's posts over the years I would concur in your conclusion he needs admittance.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post

Poor Rick, now we all understand,friend!
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

LOL! This was a good read

Now back to my ongoing depression.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X