• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone's Obsessively Interested

In various things. Just an observation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gFJ2...feature=rec-r2

J.C.

Re: Everyone's Obsessively Interested

I had no idea soldering was so popular that there is an annual competition. I'll bet that's an interesting group of folks.
    Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
    I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
    My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

Comment

Well, soldering is a bit of an art, and with the right solder, and the right component, can make any electronic device last a long time. I have seen gaming consoles no longer function due to a worn out power jack. a simple swap with a new one would bring it back to life.

Comment

Soldering is a worthwhile skill to be acquired, so I'm not surprised that there's a bit of competition out there.

I remember building my first Heathkit radio back in 1960. When done, I took it to a local Ham to have him check it out and do the alignment. He called me in a couple of days and invited me over for "some lessons". His opinion of my little "Benton Harbor Lunchbox" (a 2-meter transceiver) was that it was the "cutest little arc-welder he ever saw".

I probably still hold the record for "most cold solder joints per square inch".

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
          Soldering is a worthwhile skill to be acquired, so I'm not surprised that there's a bit of competition out there.

I probably still hold the record for "most cold solder joints per square inch".
          CWS
          I think I hold the record for cold and miserable solder joints. Today I can do them pretty well but not as well as I wish.

By the way long ago I had a 10 meter "Lunch Box" modified so it would run on 11 meters so I could splatter all 23 (old) CB channels at once.
          Down on the floor was an insane "Foot Warmer" and I'm sure you know what they are. The warmer feed a hand tuned "Clothes Line".

Shhhhhhh Don't tell anyone what a "Foot Warmer" is.

OK I best hush up as this is not the HAM & HOG forum. LOL

Comment

I worked four years as a telephone frameman and soldered wires all day long. Fumes, splatters causing shorts and many burns and scars from hot irons remain in my memory. Interesting thread though, proves there is so much interest in so many things most of us can't imagine.

Comment

Unfortunately today, we live in an age of "swaptronics", where it is far cheaper to replace than it is to repair.

Comment

I used to solder quite a bit. It can get incredibly frustrating with tiny point. Hate soldering to legs of chips.

Josh

Comment

Working...
                X