Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM to Shut Down 2500-2600 Dealerships across the United States

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30458421/

There's a car dealership in this area that....wait, I'll just show you the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...dc&view=videos << Apparently I'm the first one to view some of these videos.

Here's what needs to be said:

They are offering lifetime drivetrain warranties on their vehicles, just like chrysler. Do you really believe that anyone will honor such a warranty, knowing that the product just won't live to that expectation that it will last?

You would not believe how many of my older customers have been selling their buicks, cadillacs, ford and chrysler vehicles and buying toyotas, hondas, nissans because they are aware that the big three are going to take a dirt nap here soon.

Now, those of you who thought the sky would be falling if these companies perish.....well here's the news...they might as well saying they're going out of business if there's 2600 dealerships disappearing across the states by 2010, and that's just for GM products.

And even though this guy above has a flag behind his name and face, what I find ironic as hell as 3 years ago this guy was notorious for being the biggest money maker in the area in selling these vehicles, and lots of unhappy customers "after" the sale. Lots of angry people in the wake, and now, he needs those same people back and I know they're not coming back.

With 90% of the foreign named vehicles being made here in the United States now.....I believe it's time to set the record that it's time for a new leader, it's time for these greedy union auto workers to wake up and realize the fantasy job is now over. This is a huge proving ground to all unions right now that you think you've got a cherished job that anyone wants?

Think again, and notice how your non-union auto workers is still employed through all of this.

Don't blame me...I own 3 of these dinosaurs now; 1 chevrolet and two fords. How bad do you think I'll get arse-raped on repair parts for these if I decide to keep them for any amount of time?

You already know.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: GM to Shut Down 2500-2600 Dealerships across the United States

Yeah, the Union guys are all greedy, what bull! They built the garbage that someone else designed and their Union wages went to pay plenty of small business owners for services rendered. Japan lost the war but won on our home turf. Pay the auto workers minium wage and they won't be able to buy the cars they make, just like the slave labor in the third world making everything else you consume. I got my pension, full medical and dental too. I made plenty of money for my company and they gave back a little thanks to my Union. You don't like greedy people? Work for free and look beyond the Unions, they helped make something of this country before the greedy corporations shipped out all the jobs. Happy with the quality of goods you get from communist china? Get used to it!

Comment

I know it hurts.......but the focus should be overpaid workers who now have to come back from the clouds.

My dad had no problem paying $3000.00 for his brand new 1975 3/4 ton slant 292 6 cyl full sized truck, 3 speed.

The entire body of that truck was destroyed in 5 years, completely rusted out, constantly had to tune that 6cyl motor to keep it running.

Parts that should break, did.

And he made I believe at the time, $7.00/hour.

I'm laying my money down on communist china when I give my ford to another unsuspecting character that thinks there's grease fittings on anything under the hood. Another michevious attempt for the big 3 to keep themselves employed by building a vehicle I can't properly maintain, because someone wants a job.

Toyota, Nissan, and Honda fixed these issues of ignorance and that's why they're getting my money, just like any other wise conscientous buyer should be, investing in products that you're going to get F'd on because they're hurting.

The big 3 should of been doing their homework instead of building the next big gas guzzler. Build something that's quality and you won't be shutting down 90% of your business.

Lifetime drivetrain warranty...........pffffft. Does that come with a bridge, over water?

You couldn't get these futnuts to honor the warranties they had before, that were shorter. Let alone "lifetime".

Let the next big 3 handles those reliable attitudes, not what we already know is far fetched.

These foreign vehicles are american made, chinese owned.

There are no truely american made vehicles without the tinge of foreign influence....it simply does not exist. If it does, prove it's out there and doesn't cost 100% more than the average because the american worker wanted $1000/hour to do it.....and off on fridays so they can take their daughter to the dentist.

We ourselves, are our worst enemy....and this needed to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
        I know it hurts.......but the focus should be overpaid workers who now have to come back from the clouds.

My dad had no problem paying $3000.00 for his brand new 1975 3/4 ton slant 292 6 cyl full sized truck, 3 speed.

The entire body of that truck was destroyed in 5 years, completely rusted out, constantly had to tune that 6cyl motor to keep it running.

Parts that should break, did.

And he made I believe at the time, $7.00/hour.

I'm laying my money down on communist china when I give my ford to another unsuspecting character that thinks there's grease fittings on anything under the hood. Another michevious attempt for the big 3 to keep themselves employed by building a vehicle I can't properly maintain, because someone wants a job.

Toyota, Nissan, and Honda fixed these issues of ignorance and that's why they're getting my money, just like any other wise conscientous buyer should be, investing in products that you're going to get F'd on because they're hurting.

The big 3 should of been doing their homework instead of building the next big gas guzzler. Build something that's quality and you won't be shutting down 90% of your business.

Lifetime drivetrain warranty...........pffffft. Does that come with a bridge, over water?

You couldn't get these futnuts to honor the warranties they had before, that were shorter. Let alone "lifetime".

Let the next big 3 handles those reliable attitudes, not what we already know is far fetched.

These foreign vehicles are american made, chinese owned.

There are no truely american made vehicles without the tinge of foreign influence....it simply does not exist. If it does, prove it's out there and doesn't cost 100% more than the average because the american worker wanted $1000/hour to do it.....and off on fridays so they can take their daughter to the dentist.

We ourselves, are our worst enemy....and this needed to happen.
        The big three made junk for years and if you bought a japan made car way back when it rusted out in half the time. You ignored that the greedy Union workers built what they were given, using parts made elsewhere as well. The foreign automakers will suffer just like the big three Unions or not, because they are losing consumers. Twenty six thousand Gm workers unemployed and that's not counting all the businesses they supported on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. You just don't get the big picture here. I'm not defending American workers who have bargained themselves out of a job, I'm trying to point out that we need to pay workers good salaries in order to have them consume and support our economy. You are so caught up on that Union guy taking his daughter to the dentist that you missed all the suit and tie guys who raped your 401K and shipped all the manufacturing jobs to the third world. Tens of thousands of Americans out of work translates into lost work for tradesmen, small businesses, and many other industries including travel and leisure which employ plenty more Americans. You are bashing the Union folks for making forty bucks an hour and benefits when you know that's what enables consumers to afford services and products. I predict that if your wishes come true and the American consumer becomes less able to afford products and services every other industry and business person will suffer. Just about everything we consume is made in the third world by slave labor, and once our American dollars are spent they never return. I maintain that we need to bring All jobs back to America, pay Americans a living wage instead of unemployment. Forget government bailouts and stimulus, that's a slow flushing toilet to extinction. Let the rest of the global economy sink or swim, but don't insult and take joy in seeing your fellow Ameicans suffer. You may be next!
        Last edited by Frankiarmz; 04-28-2009, 08:28 PM.

Comment

but don't insult and take joy in seeing your fellow Ameicans suffer

At what point, at any time in life, for anyone in this world, should personal accountability be taken into consideration....and basically OWN UP to what was known for decades?

Please tell me how your statements are not colliding with the attitude that these people were justified in their wage earning, when indirectly those were the nails in the coffin to their demise?

If I railroaded my customers, gave them products that they couldn't maintain just by design alone, and offered something that would be considered an asset to my earnings, not a debt?

I'd have a different opinion...but unfortunately I've lived long enough and have been around enough of these products, spent 10's of thousands of dollars on them and still do today...and I'm the bad guy because I've been victimized for following the american worker for their greed?

Please,

These people need to face the music, just like I would if I consistently put a plumbing product in a home that I knew was going to break, I shook hands with another company that handles the down the road thinking, and make sure we bilk the american dream because us americans are dumb.

Dumb as in trusting the big 3 to protect us.

They haven't, they're losing us now and they

realize this. They've earned this point in history in time, and they need to take it like they should, because I would of appreciated the notion that they would of tried a little harder to offer products that wouldn't cost me thousands of dollars to keep almost from year two on....when the "other" competitor is building something that only needs gas and oil for the first 75,000 miles.

That sells cars, not the american flag in the background with hotdogs and the charity to believe that I'm somehow unamerican that if I buy a foreign car...I don't claim to be american.

Some people flat out refuse to believe foreign automakers make a better product. The majority of my customers and family surely believe that american mfgs have wasted an opportunity to hold true to protecting us for down the road...

when honestly, it was all about them, the whole time.

They don't care about us.

Comment

When was the last time a drivetrain/powertrain went on a vehicle? Those warrenties are scams to begin with anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
              When was the last time a drivetrain/powertrain went on a vehicle? Those warrenties are scams to begin with anyway.

My rear main seal is leaking on my turbo diesel truck.

It's drivetrain alright, but how many hoops do I have to jump to get it fixed?

You tell me.

Comment

I get it you bought a crappy American made truck, that same truck could have been made in Japan or China by their workers but it was made here by Union workers right? Now tell me if the moron who designed that junk was a Union worker? I agree that the big three made junk for years while foreign automakers offered a better product but Dunbar in my opinion it is not Union costs and or junk products alone that hastened the fall of the big three. Maybe as a successful businessman you can back your credit card with real money but most of America has been dealing in smoke and mirrors economics. When the credit started drying up so did the car sales. Do you realize how many folks have defaulted on their existing car loans? Not because they are dissatisfied consumers but because they could no longer keep the jugggling act going. We are a nation under attack and facing serious problems. The big three needed to deal with their own problems, wages, benefits and consumer confidence, so did the banks, housing industry and all the rest that got "bailed out", but that did not happen. Now those of us who are still paying taxes have to make good on all these bad personal and business decisions, but... all these problems are not the fault of greedy Union workers. Take the blinders off and stop dwelling on those absent grease fittings, your problems, my problems and our country's problems are too big. You want accountability? We are all to blame, every one of us, those who charged up their credit and couldn't pay, those who lived within their means and worked hard, those who did not vote and those who did. Our country, our society is evolving, growing, changing and right now we are seeing the results of a two party system that takes turns fing us. We are learning what happens when folks buy cars and homes they can't afford. We are beginning to understand what happens when you ship out all your manufacturing jobs for cheap labor and no government rules then end up paying out all that corporate savings and Union avoidance in unemployment benefits. Those greedy Union folks who made your truck without grease fittings at the very least pay taxes, unlike the twenty million plus illegals we are paying for at tax time and at every service they enjoy but don't contribute towards. We got big problems, huge problems and they are not in my opinion the result of Unions! I'll let you have the last word because I'm tired and in pain and I've said all I had to say. I appreciate the opportunity to give my opinions and understand that I may be wrong, time will tell. Good night All.
                Last edited by Frankiarmz; 04-28-2009, 09:11 PM.

Comment

I dont work for an automotive company, but i do work for an industrial / AG company. we are not union the company is family owned with roughly 1900 employees.
                  i havent worked 40 hours since september last year, but i do still have my job and full time benefits, and now that we are below 32 hours we are getting Shared work which is an umemployment supplement.
                  i have friends that worked at John Deere and are laid off because the union wont allow them to work less than 40 hours
                  i dont know about the majority of people but i for one am glad that the company i work for has not laid off anyone and we all still have health benefits.
                  Where as my friends at Deere get to draw full unemployment and wonder what they will do when it runs out

Comment

The whole issue is about balance.

Trade unions are needed and necessary, or else the employers would go rampant and turn employees into slaves. Anybody with at least rudimentary knowledge of history will recognize the danger right away. 19th century industrial England anybody? How about that for "sane" labor relations? Interested in 18 hour shifts? Child labor?

But then, too often history teaches us that history teaches us nothing. At least those who have no clue about how we got to where we are. We are good at living in freedom, democracy and relative calm. We have no idea how to fight for it. Our grandparents did that for us.

On the other hand, too powerful and arrogant trade unions can cause a lot of mess, as the US auto industry illustrates so well.
                    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

I have seen Unions help the little guy and I have seen them destroy the big guys. It's not that it always happens but it does happen. For too many years the UAW strong armed the Auto Industry without ever considering what the outcome would be if the industry failed. The UAW fought modernization for fear it would cost jobs but they did it at a cost to their members. Imagine how much better off a laid off auto worker would be today if he had been trained in computerized robotics.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        I have seen Unions help the little guy and I have seen them destroy the big guys. It's not that it always happens but it does happen. For too many years the UAW strong armed the Auto Industry without ever considering what the outcome would be if the industry failed. The UAW fought modernization for fear it would cost jobs but they did it at a cost to their members. Imagine how much better off a laid off auto worker would be today if he had been trained in computerized robotics.

Mark
                        Mark, Unions have fought for years to protect, or keep jobs and often at the cost of what might be called progress. I went to a trade high school to become a printer in the late 60's. When I graduated I discovered the paying jobs were all Union and father/son, closed to outsiders. Within a year or so the big industry employers, the Newspapers offered the Union printers a eleven year contract during which time there would be no layoffs and the companies could bring in as much automation as they wanted. When the dust settled there were almost no printers left on the job and machines took over. I believe there is a fine balance between automated progress and what society can adjust to handle as a result of jobs lost. Thousands of auto workers would not be needed to fill the jobs you mentioned and unemployment would have risen, not that it won't happen now anyway! Did they delay the inevitable? Probably, but a lot of auto jobs moved out of this country despite what some have called greedy Union workers. Industry found very cheap labor and no OSHA or EPA outside of the USA, although this is where they need to sell their cars and trucks! Some foreign automakers purposely moved here in spite of high labor cost so they could win the hearts of Americans, a brilliant business move even if it cout their profit margins.Now the Union workers are getting a wake up call if you want to call it that, and the many corporations that set up shop outside the USA realized their consumer based has dwindled. What's the answer? I think we need to make most of what we consume right here and pay workers a living wage so they can afford to consume what they produce. I know the issue of our economics is extremely complicated, and I while I don't profess to have the answers it appears to me that some of these things seem reasonable in how they have palyed out.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          Mark, Unions have fought for years to protect, or keep jobs and often at the cost of what might be called progress. I went to a trade high school to become a printer in the late 60's. When I graduated I discovered the paying jobs were all Union and father/son, closed to outsiders. Within a year or so the big industry employers, the Newspapers offered the Union printers a eleven year contract during which time there would be no layoffs and the companies could bring in as much automation as they wanted. When the dust settled there were almost no printers left on the job and machines took over. I believe there is a fine balance between automated progress and what society can adjust to handle as a result of jobs lost. Thousands of auto workers would not be needed to fill the jobs you mentioned and unemployment would have risen, not that it won't happen now anyway! Did they delay the inevitable? Probably, but a lot of auto jobs moved out of this country despite what some have called greedy Union workers. Industry found very cheap labor and no OSHA or EPA outside of the USA, although this is where they need to sell their cars and trucks! Some foreign automakers purposely moved here in spite of high labor cost so they could win the hearts of Americans, a brilliant business move even if it cout their profit margins.Now the Union workers are getting a wake up call if you want to call it that, and the many corporations that set up shop outside the USA realized their consumer based has dwindled. What's the answer? I think we need to make most of what we consume right here and pay workers a living wage so they can afford to consume what they produce. I know the issue of our economics is extremely complicated, and I while I don't profess to have the answers it appears to me that some of these things seem reasonable in how they have palyed out.
                          Oddly enough I spent 8th through 12th grade in print shop and ended up on the school payroll for the last two years. The best part was in 8th grade the school was brand new so we got to set the print shop up. Grades 10th through 12th I was in Print Production plus a teachers aid so I had 3-hours a day of print shop. I was convinced I was going to be a printer until I got out of school and realized they wanted to pay me minimum wages to spend my days cleaning up.

The debate as to whether it would have costs jobs or not is questionable. In the same time period we watched foreign manufacturers take over what had been our industry. The reality is now those same workers are losing their jobs and stand to lose their highly coveted retirement. You have to wonder now if the protectionism was really worth it?

Mark

Comment

During my senior year of trade school we were allowed to work take jobs in the printing trade every afternoon. My employer offered me a twenty five cent a hour raise if I stayed on after graduation, I didn't think $2.25 would allow me to do much with my life so I moved on. Call it protectionism or anything else, I just don't think there is enough wealth to sustain our economy and that of the third world. The foreign automakers who are producing cars and trucks here in the USA will also go out of business in time unless we strengthen the American consumer who no longer can afford to buy their products. Let's not drag the banks into all this at the moment, we have already seen how their generosity helped the housing industry. I think of all the individual parts of our complicated economy, the one that stands out most in my mind as a indication of our current crisis is the trade deficit. I won't beat my drum about all the jobs we've lost to the third world, but how long did we think we could consume the world's goods while they did not return the favor? Our American dollars kept and keep going out and nothing but consumer goods come back. Just a matter of time until our piggy banks went broke. In my opinion we can not allow others to make what we consume and expect to survive. We can agree that in some cases Unions became too strong and controlling which lead to the demise of some industries, but unless we also agree that profit motivated corporations foolishly abandoned their consumer base and are now paying the price as well then we only have a small part of our economic picture.
                            Last edited by Frankiarmz; 05-01-2009, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Frank,

I agree both side has behaved badly and both sides should now pay the price. The problem is we no longer have control over what will happen as this Administration is micro-managing private industry now. The worst part about it is how they are going about it. A couple of weeks ago Chrysler Financial turned down TARP money. It was reported on all of the news channels and I took it as a positive sign. As a payback Obama now has Chrysler Financial being swallowed up by GM's GMAC Financial which has taken TARP money. Why is it the Financial service which did not need TARP money is being taken over by the one which did. To make matters worst, in Obama's speech about Chrysler's bankruptcy he villainized the 30% of "speculators" who refused to sign on to the deal and forced the bankruptcy. Those "speculators" were among other things 401 funds which included retirement for normal Joes. They also were the primary creditors who would be satisfied before anyone else in a bankruptcy. Obama's deal would put them third in line behind the UAW. To me that sounds like illegal conversion of private property. There is a villain here but it is not the "speculators".

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X