• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swine flu

So whats the latest on Swine flu?
    3 cases just confirmed in Maine.
    91 confirmed cases in 10 states.
    1 death confirmed in Texas.

Kind of odd how every media outlet is not jumping all over this flu as normally they are trying to convince us we are all about to see the sky fall and be crushed to death by it.
    I doubt the Government has asked them to down play it as the government and media have nothing to do with each other.

Think this could be the one????
    I have to admit I'm starting to wonder.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Swine flu

Oh yeah...

Why are they calling it Swine flu?
    I thought this strain was a mix of swine, bird, and human flu.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I read in the news that they are trying to get the flu name changed to "H1N1 Virus."

What I read was that by naming it "swine flu," the pork industry is being affected.

But, one case is here in Ohio, in one of the other elementary schools my daughter attends (not the one she attends). The child, 9 years old, went to Cancun with family over Easter break. He came back to school and had the symptoms on Wednesday (in school 3 days). The CDC verified it 2 days later.

That school is closed all this week for it. But, we're watching our daughter to make sure as administrators and teachers float between schools.

Cathy

Learnat least one NEWtopic daily!

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
        Oh yeah...

Why are they calling it Swine flu?
        I thought this strain was a mix of swine, bird, and human flu.
        It's called swine flu because it is a virus which is typically transmitting within the pig population. The problem comes in when it is transmitted to people and then transmitted from people to people. The funny part is now they want to change the name to a PC name because it is hurting the pig industry.

Even though the danger is the virus which has already mutated and not the one the pigs have, Eygpt is going to slaughter all of their pigs.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I think they call it swine flu because you squeal like a pig when you cough.

So the World Health Organization says there are 7 confirmed h1 n1 flu deaths CNN said 152 last time I heard. So which is correct and why the discrepancy?

Swine influenza - update 5

29 April 2009 -- The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 18:00 GMT, 29 April 2009, nine countries have officially reported 148 cases of swine influenza A/H1N1 infection. The United States Government has reported 91 laboratory confirmed human cases, with one death. Mexico has reported 26 confirmed human cases of infection including seven deaths.
          The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Austria (1), Canada (13), Germany (3), Israel (2), New Zealand (3), Spain (4) and the United Kingdom (5).
          here is also no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products. Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.
          Last edited by EasyEman; 04-29-2009, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
            I think they call it swine flu because you squeal like a pig when you cough.

So the World Health Organization says there are 7 confirmed h1 n1 flu deaths CNN said 162 last time I heard. So which is correct and why the discrepancy?

Swine influenza - update 5

29 April 2009 -- The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 18:00 GMT, 29 April 2009, nine countries have officially reported 148 cases of swine influenza A/H1N1 infection. The United States Government has reported 91 laboratory confirmed human cases, with one death. Mexico has reported 26 confirmed human cases of infection including seven deaths.
            The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Austria (1), Canada (13), Germany (3), Israel (2), New Zealand (3), Spain (4) and the United Kingdom (5).
            here is also no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products. Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.
            I believe you are confusing deaths with cases of those infected. However, my understanding is there has only been one death and that was a 23-month old Mexican boy who went to a hospital in Houston.

Mark

Comment

From Cnn.com

World battles swine flu as death toll rises

Governments and health officials around the world continued to take steps against the outbreak of swine flu that has killed scores of people in Mexico and spread to the U.S., Europe and possibly Asia. full story

Comment

O.K., That's it! My wife just coughed. She's now banished to the shed.

Comment

Ther are 5 cases confirmed in the county next to me. No deaths.

Looks like it is all within one family that recently visited Mexico.
                  "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                    From Cnn.com

World battles swine flu as death toll rises

Governments and health officials around the world continued to take steps against the outbreak of swine flu that has killed scores of people in Mexico and spread to the U.S., Europe and possibly Asia. full story

It's interesting CNN writes "There are 148 confirmed cases in 11 countries, the majority in the United States, according to the WHO and national governments. Those figures include seven deaths in Mexico and one in the United States." How does that jive with the 2,500 who have it in Mexico? We need to halt cross border traffic until this is under control.

Mark

Comment

Well, at least I can get into RIDGIDChat now under the Pig Latin language.

Chat room is full though.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I know who Patient Zero is....

Attached Files

Comment

I don't really know the latest, but we are supposed to quit calling it 'swine flu' and start calling it H1N1. The pig associations were upset with the old monicker.

We've taken it all very seriously. We now wash ouor hands - AND - we no longer associate socially with H1N1s (pigs).
                          Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
                          I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
                          My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

Comment

Working...
                          X