• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top 25 things Vanishing from The United States

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
    I liked this one:

23. Cash Registers That Make a Ka-Ching Sound

AND the CASH that goes in them, seems like everyone is living on credit or peanuts these days

I canned two credit cards just recently....still owe, it's gonna cost me my peanuts if I'm not careful.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Lets see here - Bust your *** on the family farm 6-7 12 hour days per week, and in a good year make 35K. Option B is sell the paid for land for a few mil to a developer and retire. Kind of a no brainer to me. Farming is a lot more work and a lot less romantic than it is portrayed on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
        I canned two credit cards just recently....still owe, it's gonna cost me my peanuts if I'm not careful.
        I canned all my as well years ago, well they actually canned me, but no CC'S is nice, although sometimes its rough to live without credit

Comment

The credit cards really suck the life out of people and I would say have broken many marriages. I have one and use it mainly for fuel only, and pay it off every month. You just have to know when to say no I can't afford this or that. Nothing will put you in the hole quicker than trying to keep up with the "Jones".

I believe that something else that will disappear in the future is paper money and coins. Everything will be on a debit card type of thing, that way the gov't can track your expenditures and tax will be paid.

Comment

If I can beg off 400 acres just in my family alone, and the "vanishing" of the articles that proves what I already know, how much more proof do you need to know the obvious?
            all that proves is

The only ones to blame on my family(ies) farms going are the siblings that are cashing out, not keeping the tradition of their parents.
            Look, the last thing I'm trying to do is argue. I don't have the energy. My point was that you can't make blanket statements like that with out backing them up.

Honestly, I agree with you- to an extent. Growing up, the only thing I wanted to do was farm. Period. I even have a college degree in ag Business. After college, My father sat me down and said, "if you want to farm, I'll do everything within my power to make that happen. If you have any doubt or don't want it, run and don't look back."

Sometimes I regret not trying to make it happen. Last year was my father's last year. After harvest we were at one of our Sat. 5:30AM breakfasts and he looked at me and said, "I'm glad you decided to do something else with your life." That helped, but i still have moments of regrets.

I will say this- When my father dies, my sister and I will inherent a boat load of prime farm ground, and we ain't sellin' none of it. I don't need anymore regrets.
            Last edited by lmpg; 04-30-2009, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Bubba-dee bub hah wha?

I'm going to put a stick in a moving fan, or put my truck up on homemade ramps! I can do it man!
              I'd be more impressed if you stopped the fan with your tongue.....
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCDcrP2Fiso
              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
                Lets see here - Bust your *** on the family farm 6-7 12 hour days per week, and in a good year make 35K. Option B is sell the paid for land for a few mil to a developer and retire. Kind of a no brainer to me. Farming is a lot more work and a lot less romantic than it is portrayed on TV.
                There is one farm left in our county, they have pick your own apples and Christmas trees. I am still shocked it is there. 180 acres @ $300k/acre is a lot of money to just sit on (roughly $50 million). Even if it is one kid out of a bunch who would want to sell, I wouldn't blame them; a fraction of that would leave you set for life.

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                  I liked this one:

23. Cash Registers That Make a Ka-Ching Sound

AND the CASH that goes in them, seems like everyone is living on credit or peanuts these days
                  Why carry cash, which you can lose and is irreplaceable when you can carry a card that is perfectly replaceable?

Why write checks every month if you can get stuff like cable television, pre-school, telephone, etc. charged to the card.

It takes a lot more discipline to track expenses without credit cards than with credit cards; where you can just categorize everything on the statement at the end of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by lmpg View Post
                    all that proves is

Look, the last thing I'm trying to do is argue. I don't have the energy. My point was that you can't make blanket statements like that with out backing them up.

Honestly, I agree with you- to an extent. Growing up, the only thing I wanted to do was farm. Period. I even have a college degree in ag Business. After college, My father sat me down and said, "if you want to farm, I'll do everything within my power to make that happen. If you have any doubt or don't want it, run and don't look back."

Sometimes I regret not trying to make it happen. Last year was my father's last year. After harvest we were at one of our Sat. 5:30AM breakfasts and he looked at me and said, "I'm glad you decided to do something else with your life." That helped, but i still have moments of regrets.

I will say this- When my father dies, my sister and I will inherent a boat load of prime farm ground, and we ain't sellin' none of it. I don't need anymore regrets.

What I cannot understand is why my statements even bothered you, when your intent is to keep the family farm, which I find admirable.

If you don't fit the context of my statements, it should of blown right over. It happened in my family and I see 300 acres of it getting sold off for development.

300 acres that will never be farmland again. Money buys a lot of things, but it does not buy the lifeline of family tradition.

I live in a farming community where all the big farms got sold. Yes, I can get/buy anything I want now real close to home, but sometimes the development takes over in a way that's not good...at all.
                    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 05-01-2009, 12:12 AM.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I live in a farming community where all the big farms got sold. Yes, I can get/buy anything I want now real close to home, but sometimes the development takes over in a way that's not good...at all.

I use to live in a farming community, but the sub-divisions have all moved in and I hate it. Damned neighbors, no no damned people all around me making all kinds of racket, cars every were hauling @ss up and down the road, etc., etc. I live on 40 acres with developments on two sides of me and it sucks. I try to be the good ole country boy and go slow up and down the road on my tractor, if I can back up ten cars behind me it's a good day, step outside and fire off a few rounds of 30-06 to get all the dogs to stop yapping, my cattle are on another farm just down the road and I feed close to the road to give them that farm fresh air smell of a feed lot, burn big brush fires that will smolder for days.

G3

Comment

What bothers me is when people make a statement like

The only ones to blame on the family farms going are the siblings that are cashing out, not keeping the tradition of their parents.
                        based on what you have said later in the thread, that comment is based on your family's experience, not on research of the subject.

Comment

What bothers me is when people make a statement like

based on what you have said later in the thread, that comment is based on your family's experience, not on research of the subject.
                          What bothers me is when a guy argues in a circle and keeps posting the same thing on the third page as he posted on the first........

Comment

Tinmack- your right- I have went in circles- my apologies

Dunbar- I obviously have come across as an agrumentative a$$hole. That was never my intention, and for that, I apologize.

I was trying to make a point, and somehow got it all messed up.

Again, my apologies.

Comment

Dunbar- I obviously have come across as an agrumentative a$$hole. That was never my intention, and for that, I apologize.

Again, my apologies.
                              Willingness to apologize is a honorable trait in my book, although I was a bit confused with the thread. Farming has got to be a very respected profession and a giant part of our history. Today I watched tv as Florida tomato farmers destroyed their crops in order to drive up the price. They said produce comming in from mexico has taken away any small profit margin they had. Imagine all that hard work and expense and then having to lose it not to nature but to some economic mess? Very sad situation.

Comment

Again, my apologies.
                                LMPG - I was just messing around and I'm glad you can take a ribbing(some can't).

And there's no need to apologize for being passionate about a subject - passion is in short supply in the world these days.

Most times it's hard to get across things when typing online rather than actually talking in person. I suspect that if you were talking face to face rather than trying to do things online, your point might have been clearer and easier to make.

Regardless, any man who's man enough to make a statement like you did is certainly man(or woman, if a woman said it)enough to be welcome on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                                X