Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Vehicles

Hey everybody,

I am looking at getting a new work van and am trying to decide what is the best option.

Currently have a chevy 3500 cargo van and am looking at either getting the Dodge sprinter 3500, or the Knapheide KUV153DLK body style.

Anyone who has had both I would love to hear from but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Re: Work Vehicles

michael, i just bought the 3500 sprinter. and i also have the gmc w4500 with a 12' box/ service body. i purchased the 9990#gvw. they do have it with 11300gvw, but the laws change above 10,000#

the sprinter is a nice riding comfortable van that you can stand up in. 6'4'' inside with the high roof. the mega roof is another 7'' i believe.

the sprinter will require shelving to be installed to outfit the interior.

it gets good mileage as it's a 3.o turbo diesel. drawback is it's very expensive to buy and eventually maintain. the 13 quarts of synthetic oil has a 10,000 mile interval. but the engine should last 300,000 or more miles.

the turning radius is poor compared to the w4500. but the 4500 has a ruffer ride and gets 5-6mpg on gas. it's also 14,050#gvw.

so all in all with 2000 miles and a month of solid driving. i enjoy to drive it and it gets around town on a little fuel. sure i can't carry everything, but i do carry what i need.

look at you immediate needs, and future needs. also look at you budget to spend as the sprinter is spendy. but it will outlast the domestic counterparts.

the main reason i went with the sprinter was the roof height. i can stand up myself and a 75 gallon heater too.

my w4500 is a 2000 with 51,000 miles. not worn out, in good shape. it's for sale when i finish the whole transition.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      michael, i just bought the 3500 sprinter. and i also have the gmc w4500 with a 12' box/ service body. i purchased the 9990#gvw. they do have it with 11300gvw, but the laws change above 10,000#

the sprinter is a nice riding comfortable van that you can stand up in. 6'4'' inside with the high roof. the mega roof is another 7'' i believe.

it gets good mileage as it's a 3.o turbo diesel. drawback is it's very expensive to buy and eventually maintain. the 13 quarts of synthetic oil has a 10,000 mile interval. but the engine should last 300,000 or more miles.

the turning radius is poor compared to the w4500. but the 4500 has a ruffer ride and gets 5-6mpg on gas. it's also 14,050#gvw.

so all in all with 2000 miles and a month of solid driving. i enjoy to drive it and it gets around town on a little fuel. sure i can't carry everything, but i do carry what i need.

look at you immediate needs, and future needs. also look at you budget to spend as the sprinter is spendy. but it will outlast the domestic counterparts.

the main reason i went with the sprinter was the roof height. i can stand up myself and a 75 gallon heater too.

my w4500 is a 2000 with 51,000 miles. not worn out, in good shape. it's for sale when i finish the whole transition.

rick.
      What kind of mileage are you getting from the sprinter?
      Is it the dual rear axles?

I'm running a '99 3500 van, 5.7, dually, with the big knapheide box (similar to the 153). I just put an offer on a house that's about 30 miles "out of town". I can't imagine burning 6+gallons a day just to get to civilization.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
        What kind of mileage are you getting from the sprinter?

i've only driven 2100 miles on the diesel engine. the average combined mileage is 14-15 mpg with the highway at 21mpg.

Is it the dual rear axles?

dual rear wheels.

I'm running a '99 3500 van, 5.7, dually, with the big knapheide box (similar to the 153). I just put an offer on a house that's about 30 miles "out of town". I can't imagine burning 6+gallons a day just to get to civilization.
        rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

rick.

Wait till u need new tires Rick, They are hard to find when i had mine a year ago.
          You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

On the other hand, wait till you need a new engine, tranny and interior if you don't buy a Sprinter.

The Mercedes Sprinter is a most excellent vehicle. In Europe, they put an upscale interior in it, and call it the Mercedes V Class, or Viano. Clicky

Comparing this vehicle with a 3500 truck is not the right comparison. The Merc will not carry as much weight, nor tow as much. EVERYTHING else is better.

And I say this as a (mere) 1500 truck owner and former Merc driver.

On the negative side though, there's no HEMI option

Comment

Since Fed-Ex and UPS are the predominant consumer of the Sprinter I am sure tires will not be an issue. I actually just Googled the tire size and even Sam' Club has them.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Since Fed-Ex and UPS are the predominant consumer of the Sprinter I am sure tires will not be an issue. I actually just Googled the tire size and even Sam' Club has them.

Mark
                some one said the tires from places like that costco, Bjs were not the same ans if you went to a tire store , i got them from costco one time and they bid not last long
                just my option
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                  some one said the tires from places like that costco, Bjs were not the same ans if you went to a tire store , i got them from costco one time and they bid not last long
                  just my option
                  I've never had a problem with Costco tires other than availability. I've been running them for at least 12-years. Last year I had to order new tires for my Lincoln Blackwood from Costco and they were the OEM tires that came on the truck new. I believe I saved about $60 a tire over my local tire shops price plus get road hazard and rotation free.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

rick.
                    Thank you much, sir.

Comment

Working...
                    X