Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Changing Technology

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Changing Technology

    I've had a combination VHS/DVD recorder for about a year and I have recorded movies off of cable and transfered camcorder videos onto DVD's without a problem. Today I purchased the same brand of unit only a newer model, unfortunately things have changed for the worse. The newer model has no tuner at all and is dependant on whatever video input is applied, furthermore when I attempted to record a movie from cable a warning appeared warning me of copyright problems and the program would not record. I spoke to a customer service person at Magnavox and was told older units might still be in some stores, but that this is how the technology has evolved. I said I can't imagine consumers being satisfied with a product that will not allow them to record programs they have paid to watch. Oh well, a minor annoyance but I thought I'd put this information out there for those who enjoyed recording a movie and are not aware of this change.

  • #2
    Re: Changing Technology

    Don't you just love technology!?

    I've been known to be the "Techie" guy when I used to work. Got my first computer several years before IBM jumped in and over the years have tried to be one of the leaders. I can't keep up anymore so now I'm ancient.

    But the point I'm trying to make is that in the past, "Technology" brought us all a lot of enjoyment and the consumer entertainment industry pretty much stayed away from the issue. But as soon as Technology gave them the ability to do so, they've jumped in with both feet to stop what they feel, as enfringement!

    You never saw or heard much about this when they were selling us expensive movie videos and certainly no one raised too much concern with the old casette deck audio recorders. Likewise with analog transmissions it was either impossible or too expensive to embed signals that weren't immediately detectable.

    But with today's technology and with digital transmission and recording devices you can easily embed a signal that will be detectable by the digital recording device and as such, the manufacturer/copyright owner can conspire to take whatever actions it wishes. They say it is to protect their rights, but I suspect that the motive is more in line with shrinking your wallet and infringing on our rights.

    Best way to get back at them is to simply NOT buy into it. But it will only be a matter of time before all the old equipment wears out. Whose responsible for this... well ask anybody in the last administration that you may have voted for.

    CWS

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Changing Technology

      Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
      Don't you just love technology!?

      I've been known to be the "Techie" guy when I used to work. Got my first computer several years before IBM jumped in and over the years have tried to be one of the leaders. I can't keep up anymore so now I'm ancient.

      But the point I'm trying to make is that in the past, "Technology" brought us all a lot of enjoyment and the consumer entertainment industry pretty much stayed away from the issue. But as soon as Technology gave them the ability to do so, they've jumped in with both feet to stop what they feel, as enfringement!

      You never saw or heard much about this when they were selling us expensive movie videos and certainly no one raised too much concern with the old casette deck audio recorders. Likewise with analog transmissions it was either impossible or too expensive to embed signals that weren't immediately detectable.

      But with today's technology and with digital transmission and recording devices you can easily embed a signal that will be detectable by the digital recording device and as such, the manufacturer/copyright owner can conspire to take whatever actions it wishes. They say it is to protect their rights, but I suspect that the motive is more in line with shrinking your wallet and infringing on our rights.

      Best way to get back at them is to simply NOT buy into it. But it will only be a matter of time before all the old equipment wears out. Whose responsible for this... well ask anybody in the last administration that you may have voted for.

      CWS
      That golden brick road to hell was paved with the good intentions of the Clinton Administration back in 1998. Look up the "Digital Millennium Copyright Act".

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Changing Technology

        Reading these types of posts makes me glad I don't have a television.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Changing Technology

          Originally posted by Tom W View Post
          Reading these types of posts makes me glad I don't have a television.
          If I had a computer I'd respond.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Changing Technology

            How about movie DVDs that hyjack all control of your DVD deck and thus brute force us to watch the d--n out of date previews? It's out there.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Changing Technology

              I was going to tell you what I do but I think its considered illegal.

              Works though.

              Lenny

              Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

              I know, it doesn't make sense.


              http://www.hebertdraincare.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Changing Technology

                Technologies seem to control us more and more - instead of the reverse. This is most notably seen in anything to do with entertainment. I don't upgrade anymore - I only replace something when it's absolutely necessary. The computer I am on is a Sony laptop from the late 90's. Like me, it's old and slow, but reliable...
                Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
                I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
                My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Changing Technology

                  My wife bought me a DVD recorder to replace my old VCR recorder only to have me find that without a built in tuner, it wouldn't record by itself. So, back to the store I went to get one with a tuner. Then, I found out that the blank DVD disks I purchased can only be recorded on once. Once used and into the round file. Progress???????????

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Changing Technology

                    Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                    My wife bought me a DVD recorder to replace my old VCR recorder only to have me find that without a built in tuner, it wouldn't record by itself. So, back to the store I went to get one with a tuner. Then, I found out that the blank DVD disks I purchased can only be recorded on once. Once used and into the round file. Progress???????????

                    I believe that there are re-writeable DVD's. They cost a little more though.

                    CWS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Changing Technology

                      I've bought blank DVD's 100 for $22.00 on sale and that's cheap enough to burn a couple programs or movies for just a one time use. I'm annoyed that the tuners were taken out of the machines and more so that the channels I am paying to watch cannot be recorded. Now unless I am there to watch the movie when it is on I am out of luck. Like I told the customer service guy at Magnavox, why would someone keep such a machine, this technology is a step backwards.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Changing Technology

                        Think LPs. What sound better, digital or analog ?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Changing Technology

                          Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
                          Think LPs. What sound better, digital or analog ?
                          I still have LP's but rarely play them. I've heard that there is a noticeable difference between the two, but even with my good hearing I don't notice. The records were a bit sharper sometimes, still, with a more modern sound system the sound of digital is great. I still remember reel to reel tape and the progress to 8 track and cassette. I'm so pleased with what I can do with my music recording onto CD's that I don't see the need to go any further such as MP3 recorders. Some technology advances have improved our entertainment, it's when things go backwards that I get annoyed. I borrow CD's from my library and copy them for my own use, and that's all I want to do with the movies I pay to watch.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Changing Technology

                            Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            I borrow CD's from my library and copy them for my own use
                            I don't want to start a fight here, but are you aware that is illegal? Not something I would post on a public forum.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Changing Technology

                              Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
                              I don't want to start a fight here, but are you aware that is illegal? Not something I would post on a public forum.
                              You are not starting a fight. I was under the impression that copying these CD's for "Home" use was permissible. I even gave a copy of a CD back to my library when one of their's was damaged. I wonder how TIVO gets around the whole copyright thing? Folks have been recording movies on cable for years on VHS and DVD recorders, if as suggested by some here the laws have changed then you are right.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X