X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Detectors

Are any of you guys into using metal detectors to find buried stuff like old coins. I am considering getting one to see how it fits for another hobby (like I dont have enough already )

First of all do any of you know enough about Metal Detectors to recommend a good budget starter? I will mostly be looking for old coins and any other junk I might dig up.

Thanks,

Josh

Re: Metal Detectors

I have not used mine for a while but have a lot of fun when I do. Mine is a Whites and I have two different search coils for it. I use it mostly in Utah and I find mostly old junk.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mine is also a White. I have no idea on what price range--it was a gift. It is lots of fun, but I don't expect to get rich!! (I did find 37 cents on the beach in Gulf Shores Ala. tho) I used it to find survey stakes, lost earrings and whatever.
      Jim

Comment

I would probably find mostly junk but I figured since I live in a really old town I may be able to find some lost change from the 1800s. Maybe... Some folks find silver coins too. Just gotta know the right places to look I guess.

Josh

Comment

Back in the 1800s there was a Mill Site and town (including bordello) on my property in Utah. The only thing left now is a rock dam covered in brush and occasional building component buried in a ditch.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Last year upon finding a cache of bottles from the mid 19th c totally be accident, I went on line to do a little research on old bottles. One of the sites I found was a bottle hunter's blog. The guy was from Baltimore (a very old city) and he would go on bottle hunting expeditions and write about his finds. Mostly, he concentrated on old houses. He, and his friends would find an old, preferably abandoned, house and search for it's waste pit ( a soft spot close by the building, often off the kitchen door), and start digging. After a number of hours and quite a bit of earth moving he'd often come up with a variety of treasures, in the form of discarded bottles, many of more than trivial value. Not coins or jewelry, but kind of exciting in it's own way, except the digging part.

Comment

Working...
            X