Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Your Chrysler Dealer Make the Cut?

I just saw this in the Wall Street Journal -

Several of our area dealers did not make the cut.

Check out this list here
    Phil
    Tools Rule

Re: Did Your Chrysler Dealer Make the Cut?

Not too many here in CA got cut. Only one near me and its part of an auto group that also sells Ford, Mercury, and Jeep. That area sells mostly Ford/Chevy trucks and luxury imports. For a town of 85K, it does well enough to have a Jag, Land Rover, Audi, and a Porsche dealer. The BMW and Mercedes dealers are in the next town over (5 min. drive).

I've never been a Dodge/Chrysler fan, but I sure hate to see all those folks lose their jobs.
    Ern
    Last edited by erngum; 05-15-2009, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by erngum View Post

I've never been a Dodge/Chrysler fan, but I sure hate to see all those folks lose their jobs.
      Ern

I've got three of them in the driveway. Never had an issue with any of them (that wasn't handled immediately under warranty). I don't see that their bad reputation is deserved.
      Phil
      Tools Rule

Comment

Lost five that were pretty close by, never was a fan of chrysler, but still sad to loose jobs.

G3

Comment

both dealerships in the territory (STX & STT) seem to still be here.

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

The one down the street is still open.

Comment

I counted 9 dealers to close here in the Cleveland area, including the 5 closest. Now it would be a 30+ minute drive to get to the closest dealer for service. I wonder how busy the remaining service departments are going to get, when they have to absorb all the closed dealership's customers. I imagine the time to schedule an appointment is going to get quite long in some areas.
              Steve
              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

There were about 3-4 a dozen in the Hudson valley on that list. Not the one that services my Mazda though. Also 2-3 on Long Island, including one down the street from my High School.

Comment

can some one explain to me how this helps the main company, since the dealers are (to my understanding) locally owned. it seems like to me cutting off the arm that feeds your face. as there will defiantly be no sales from them once there closed,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I feel for the workers at the dealerships that are closing and I hate that they are loosing their jobs. On the other hand, it's pretty hard for me too feel sorry for the dealerships when they over charge an arm and a leg for routine maintenance. Yesterday, I took my truck in because it was leaking small drops of power steering fluid on the garage floor. They told me I needed to replace the unit as it would only get worse. $825 later, I had a new power steering unit.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

That stinks Dave. Power steering units are fairly reliable, I am surprised it was not covered under warranty but then again in these times they try to shrug any warranty responsibility and make you believe its not covered.

When I was a kid and we lived in the Detroit area my Dad worked for Chrysler, but I have never cared for their cars. Never liked working on them when I worked on cars many years ago and there are few that I have liked the styling of.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

One in Mesa got cut
                        Last edited by gusty60; 05-15-2009, 09:44 PM. Reason: Misspelled word

Comment

Well, I see two dealerships in the Binghamton (NY) area are out. But one of them has four or five dealerships as I recall, so while they're closing their Chrysler place, I believe their Dodge/Jeep is still going to be there.

I've owned three Chryslar products, a 68' Plymouth Valiant, a 91' Plymouth Voyager, and now a 2006 Dodge Caravan. They've all been great cars, good mileage, easy maintenance, and they ride great. Never owned a GM, but the Ford product I had one (a 76 Mercury) was the worst car I ever had, by the time it was seven years old, it was no longer road worthy and couldn't pass inspection.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                            can some one explain to me how this helps the main company, since the dealers are (to my understanding) locally owned. it seems like to me cutting off the arm that feeds your face. as there will defiantly be no sales from them once there closed,
                            From what I have read, on the surface it sounds crazy (25% of dealerships) but the ones that are being closed are less than 10% of sales. Most of them sell less than 100 cars per year, therefore are making their money off of used cars and service, and are not making money for Chrysler. By reducing the number of competing stores in oversaturated markets, the remaining dealers might be able to become profitable and hold a little margin on the cars, reducing the need for factory incentives to move merchandise. Although dealers pay franchise fees, I don't think they truly cover the cost to the manufacturer of mainting advertising support, etc. 100 cars per year doesn't even cover a good living for one salesman in this cutthroat market, since most sales commissions on automobiles are based on a percentage of the difference between sale price and invoice less rebates. If it is a dealer incentive, and not a rebate, the salesman typically makes zip off of that. The car salesman is the most screwed over employee in any business, which is why many of them are such shysters, because they need to be to survive. With the majority of American cars selling at invoice or less, most salesman make about 100 bucks for selling a car. I have been there and it is not pretty. Imagine a job where your customer hates you before you say hello and management orders you to lie and cheat just to make the deal. It sucks!

Comment

One in my regional area that's well known was cut. As for the others I'll have to keep watch. A very old timer Dodge dealer in my area showed no signs of closing down as of today when I happened to drive by.

Comment

Working...
                              X