X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power generator output

I bought a new power generator two days ago,Power Max,model#4400,rated wattage is 3500 and surge wattage is 4400.I get it started at the very first attempt and hooked it up. It ran well for about fifteen minutes when I decided to turn it off.All the electrical appliances were plugged out during the fifteen minutes run time.The bulbs were all in their respective position-eight of them but only about three (3) were lit.
    I was told by a friend of mine that the reason for some of the bulbs to be lit is due to the way in which the house(the house which the generator was hooked up to) is wired .
    I would like to know if I get a second extension cord and plug it into another section of the house simultaneously with the present one,would that make the other bulbs light up simultaneously with the previous set and is there a possibility that something could go wrong by doing this ???
    P.S. There are two (2) 120v receptacles on the generator.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: power generator output

not sure what you are saying. my genset goes into a transfer switch that bypasses the mains when in use. this protects anyone working on the line from possible injury.

when we had a small genset we only ran the fridge, water pump, and a few lights from it with extension cords. maybe the WH (by itself) or the washer but that was the limit of its use

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

a generator should never be "BACK feed into a house, a extension cord with two male ends on it to feed power back into the house or building by passing any transfer switches, just the back feed cord is a violation of CODE,

there is a special plug that is used with transfer switches that is made to work with non hard wired generators, and the extension cord feeds both sides of the 120 and also allows 240 if needed,

plugging in extension cords from the generator and then back feeding it via a reciprocal, back into the house is very dangerous,
      and trying to feed both sides of the 120/240 with single 120 volt extension cords, more than likely you end up frying some thing very quicly here if you keep up the effort. (as you would not be asking if you understood what your doing), and if you understood what you were asking, you would understand the dangers involved.

the CORRECT and legal way is through a Item called a transfer switch,
      there are small units of 6 or 8 circuits, that will by pass much of the house and the electrician can hook up the most important circuits,

and the last is the "whole house" transfer which hooks up before the main box and every circuit can be powered but in many instances will over tax the generator,
      another whole house unit (i think is still made) is a sub base that plugs into the meter socket and the meter plugs into that,

the CODE requires a complete disconnect that is done in such a way that the two sources can not in any way both be feeding at once, BETTER know as a TRANSFER SWITCH.

just as that line coming into the transformer is in the thousands of volts, and the transformer steps down the power to a 120/240 volts, the same transformer can step it back up to the same thousands of volts, killing line men on working to restore your power lines, if a mistake would happen. and then your guilty of Manslaughter,

if a transfer switch is not in the picture for some reason, all I can suggest to do is to run power (extension) cords to the items you need to keep going, freezer, refrigerator, any medical emergency equipment, and so on,

Keep the generator outside when running it, as it gives off carbon monoxide and the exhaust gas is deadly and can kill, do not run in the garage or other enclosed place, Unless modified for that type of operation by piping the exhaust CORRECTLY out of the building in compliance to any CODES that would apply.
      also watch when operating the unit outside, how close and proximity to windows and vents or other that may take outside air and allow it back into the building,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by DELROY View Post
        I bought a new power generator two days ago,Power Max,model#4400,rated wattage is 3500 and surge wattage is 4400.I get it started at the very first attempt and hooked it up. It ran well for about fifteen minutes when I decided to turn it off.All the electrical appliances were plugged out during the fifteen minutes run time.The bulbs were all in their respective position-eight of them but only about three (3) were lit.
        I was told by a friend of mine that the reason for some of the bulbs to be lit is due to the way in which the house(the house which the generator was hooked up to) is wired .
        I would like to know if I get a second extension cord and plug it into another section of the house simultaneously with the present one,would that make the other bulbs light up simultaneously with the previous set and is there a possibility that something could go wrong by doing this ???
        P.S. There are two (2) 120v receptacles on the generator.
        Thanks in advance.
        How did you connect the gen set to the house wiring? That's the key question.

As BHD says, there are two ways to do it. The right way and the potentially lethal way.

Gene's are absolutely lethal machines in several ways:

Electrocution from wiring, electrocution through water, mechanical injury, asphyxiation from fumes, and lifting injuries.

Comment

DELROY, where in Jamaica are you? i knew sone folks from Port Antonio

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

To Roadster,the generator was plugged into one of the wall sockets by an extension cord with each end having a male plug;that is,one end of the extn. cord is plugged into the generator socket(120V) and the other is plugged into a wall socket(120v)

To STXRUS,I am living in Buff Bay which is nineteen(19)miles from PT. Antonio,about a thirty- minute drive.
            To BHD,That was a mouthful!!!!
            Thanks to all of you guys.

Comment

Working...
            X