Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100 million dollar winner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 100 million dollar winner

    Vince's posting of those go carts got me thinking about winning the lotto.

    Lets say you just won (take home) 100 million dollars

    What two things would you do/buy thats totally selfish?

    Whats something you'd do to help friends/family?

    For my selfish side I would:
    1. Build a go cart track and have at least 12 carts that can do at least 60mph.

    2. I would buy a 420 Cat excavator and just dig holes in the yard when ever I'm bored, just like when I was a kid with my Tonka trucks, but a whole lot funner(funner=Mainer speak for wicked fun) with the real deal.

    For friends/family:
    I would not just give them money (well maybe Mom), but I would finance their business dreams. Complete with marketing team, business counselors, training/school, and etc.
    They would be required to keep their books open to my accountants and repay the money when profits allow. All money received would go toward helping strangers achieve their goals.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

  • #2
    Re: 100 million dollar winner

    I would buy a mansion, new corvette and take up with a couple young wild women. My non selfish gesture would be to find my wife and her divorced friend the men of their dreams, that would probably require many millions to accomplish!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 100 million dollar winner

      1. Not work.
      2. Give money to family and friends.
      3. Not work.
      4. Buy a large home.
      5. Not work.
      6. Buy one luxury car, one sports car.
      7. Not work.
      8. Travel.
      9. Spend as much time as possible not working.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 100 million dollar winner

        Cherry Coke, and a cheeseburger. Just like Warren Buffet.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 100 million dollar winner

          Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
          1. Not work.
          2. Give money to family and friends.
          3. Not work.
          4. Buy a large home.
          5. Not work.
          6. Buy one luxury car, one sports car.
          7. Not work.
          8. Travel.
          9. Spend as much time as possible not working.
          Lenny, you've probably heard this from other people but trust me it's true. God willing someday you will stop working, retire and you will miss it! No matter how dangerous, dirty, smelly, back breaking or otherwise unpleasant, our work becomes a big part of who we are and it's not eay to let go. Nine years after I retired and I still have dreams of working. Those were the best times of my life, hard, dangerous, dirty, stinky and all, I wish I could go back. Please take my advice and don't rush it, savor every lousy moment as if it you had just won the greatest gift because in a way you have. Employed, good health, family and friends, man there are plenty of so called rich folks who would envy you. Leave the manisons, sports cars and wild women to guys like me, it isn't much but it will have to do.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 100 million dollar winner

            For me:
            I would buy a big-*** plot of land in Dutchess county, take a couple years off of work, and build a house and shop. I would of course need to buy lots of tools, including a big pickup truck. I think I would wait until the completion of my current project at work, because it is a lot of fun.

            I might also invest in some startups of close friends. I know a few people who would like to work on their own ideas for some number of ideas to see if they pan out.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 100 million dollar winner

              I'd start some sort of paper or periodical that detailed what all officials voted on in government-no bias-just what they voted and distribute it to every person with an address weekly.

              Maybe fix the A/C on my old Honda.

              J.C.
              Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 05-20-2009, 11:00 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 100 million dollar winner

                Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                Lenny, you've probably heard this from other people but trust me it's true. God willing someday you will stop working, retire and you will miss it! No matter how dangerous, dirty, smelly, back breaking or otherwise unpleasant, our work becomes a big part of who we are and it's not eay to let go. Nine years after I retired and I still have dreams of working. Those were the best times of my life, hard, dangerous, dirty, stinky and all, I wish I could go back. Please take my advice and don't rush it, savor every lousy moment as if it you had just won the greatest gift because in a way you have. Employed, good health, family and friends, man there are plenty of so called rich folks who would envy you. Leave the manisons, sports cars and wild women to guys like me, it isn't much but it will have to do.
                I don't understand workaholics like my grandfather who retired from installing ceramic tile about a year ago at the age of 83. The only reason he quit was because my ill grandmother had to go into a assisted living home. He told me once that if he stops, he'll die. He retired once for 6 months but got bored and went back to it. His workaholic cousin is still going strong at 79.

                Not that I hate work but I am of a different mindset. I dont mind working my a$$ off now in the hope that, one day, I may retire. I just want ten good (healthy) years of retirement. I dont want to be the guy that retires and dies of a heart attack a few months later.

                Of course I have no real control of that other than to retire as early as possible and stay as healthy as possible.

                The reason I started my own business was so that I can make enough money to retire. Realizing that working for the man would not cut it, I decide to become the man. Three years in business, things are looking better all the time. On health side, not as good, but i have lost 30 lbs since December and hope to lose the rest by the end of the year, then maintain.

                Hoping for the best.

                Many years ago I did a job for a guy and he mentioned something about being retired. I told him he looked pretty young to be retired to find out he was 51. He retired two years earlier at the age of 49. I found out that he had started working at FedEx at the age of 18 and put into their retirement plan faithfully. At some point employees were offered stock options or something, dont remember the details. Anyway, he didnt have to work anymore.

                I told him what my grandfather had told me about dying soon after he retired. He said, "Yeah I know alot of people who say that, but let me tell you something."...

                "There's a lot to be said for doing nothing. I work on my house, my garden, read the paper, cook for my wife, go to the store... There's always something to do, and when there isn't, do you know what I do?... Nothing."

                I agree, and look forward to it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 100 million dollar winner

                  Move to Comoros and use my money to influence the local government. Once I'm elected to power, I'll restructure the economy to focus on coffee exports, tourism, sugarcane and the fishing industry. My ultimate goal would be to show the rest of Africa how it's possible to use their natural resource in a long term sustanable manner.

                  For the short term goals of my money-
                  -stay in the navy and tell every boss I have "no" just because I can
                  -Get a Toyota tundra-scratch that-get a toyota diesel landcruiser and say to hell with emissions
                  -Get enough plumbing equipment to make Rick insecure about his collection
                  -only do sewer and drain cleaning
                  -make my son breakfast every morning and tuck him in every night(no more deployments for me!!)
                  -give my mother in law a new car and house.
                  -the wif would get whatever she wants of course.
                  Last edited by gear junkie; 05-20-2009, 11:10 PM.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 100 million dollar winner

                    Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    Move to Comoros and use my money to influence the local government. Once I'm elected to power, I'll restructure the economy to focus on coffee exports, tourism, sugarcane and the fishing industry. My ultimate goal would be to show the rest of Africa how it's possible to use their natural resource in a long term sustanable manner.

                    For the short term goals of my money-
                    -stay in the navy and tell every boss I have "no" just because I can
                    -Get a Toyota tundra-scratch that-get a toyota diesel landcruiser and say to hell with emissions
                    -Get enough plumbing equipment to make Rick insecure about his collection
                    -only do sewer and drain cleaning
                    -make my son breakfast every morning and tuck him in every night(no more deployments for me!!)
                    -give my mother in law a new car and house.
                    -the wif would get whatever she wants of course.
                    We got stopped yesterday by the DMV in NC to check if we were driving a diesel pickup.

                    J.C.
                    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 05-20-2009, 11:19 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 100 million dollar winner

                      I would have my teeth and my knees fixed. I would pay for my friends who are plumbers to have their knees fixed.(They can keep their ugly smiles ).

                      I know of a mission in India that runs orphanages. I would send a large chunk there.
                      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 100 million dollar winner

                        Scratch everything else I just said. I would start a secret anti terrorism unit that battles terrorist at their own level. Think the movie "swordfish".
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 100 million dollar winner

                          Lenny, I used to joke that I never wanted work to become a habit but it did. I cook most of the suppers for my wife and daughter, tinker around the house, play with the Internet and watch way too much tv. Winning big money at this point in my life would be much safer than when I was a younger man, unfortunately it can bring a lot of problems. I think this was a good thread and it's nice to hear such good ideas like GearJunkie's. I would hate to give money to a friend or some needy family only to have it turn out bad, that would be horrible. Every once in a while I see a program about past Lotto winners and all that money just brings sadness and pain. I was partly joking earlier but I do think we need to appreciate how rich we are without those winnings. Still, it is nice to dream, no more scrimping, fixing busted stuff that should have been dumped, having nice new things and of course sharing the fortune.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 100 million dollar winner

                            i would buy enough ridgid tools to give out to all the people on the forum that don't have what they need.

                            rick.
                            phoebe it is

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 100 million dollar winner

                              Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              i would buy enough ridgid tools to give out to all the people on the forum that don't have what they need.

                              rick.
                              It's okay Rick, we like you for who you are. You don't need to buy our friendship. BTW, just in case, I'll take a jetter.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X