X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verizon MiFi - Really cool

Check this out. Very cool technology. Great upload and download speeds.

You can carry it in a pocket and its like carrying a wireless battery powered router wherver you go... even on the jobsite. Only catch is you only get 250 megs of downloads per month 10cents extra per meg after that or you can buy 5 gigs per month for 60 bucks. Still not bad to have real high speed wherever you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIH_4VGvCn0
    Last edited by Josh; 05-21-2009, 01:48 PM.

Re: Verizon MiFi - Really cool

Is that faster then the Blackberry tether service ?

Do you know Josh?
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Does this mean I can drive down the road while surfing the internet?

Is 5 gigs/month enough?

Comment

Yes and Yes. 5 gigs is plenty.

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        Does this mean I can drive down the road while surfing the internet?

Is 5 gigs/month enough?

Comment

I would have to see it in person. I have Verizon now and can't get phone calls in most of KY. Can you hear me now? Hell no!
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I was pretty close to buying an Aircard from AT&T last week but the MiFi has me intrigued. I'm just a little concerned about the battery life.

It's becoming more and more difficult glomming onto unsecured networks lately. (I personally believe the whole internet should be free to everyone)This device might be a good fit for me.

I never have a problem with cellular coverage using Verizon and they are the only current carrier that has service in the Metro subway system.

Comment

(I personally believe the whole internet should be free to everyone)
              The internet IS free, it's access to it that costs you.

I think plumbing estimates should always be free.

What's that? No you say because its costs you money and time to get there are write it up?

Well, who do you think pays for the equipment and the electricity to operate all those WiFi hotspots and maintain them? It costs money and time just like a plumbing estimate.

Not picking on the trade just using plumbing as an example as the issue of free estimates has come up here before.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Some info on it.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2346697,00.asp

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...ng-this-month/

Comment

I certain wouldn't replace your main service with this. I've done that. Didn't know and went over the limit. One month was $788 And that was at Verizon employee pricing.
                  5 gigs is good enough for out in the field for messages and what not, but that's it. If your like my wife, she likes to catch up on her TV shows via the internet, that will suck bandwidth fast and send you over the limit in a hurry.

Comment

I got a VirginMobile MiFi because our cable was out, and it works pretty well from our house. My wife used it to work from home for a day, and I used it for an evening. It isn't quite as fast as cable, but much faster than a tin-can and string!

It works well enough on the train to the city too, kind of slow while moving; but it works enough to surf the web, check email, and do a little bit of SSH (remote access to servers).

Comment

What's the cost, after taxes/fees/surcharges/etc?

Comment

Buddy of mine just got this a few days ago. When I told him he could tether his smart phone to his laptop and do the same thing, his jaw almost fell off. Then I showed him how's done. He says he is seriously thinking of taking the thing back.

Comment

The cost of the device was $129 + 7.375% county sales Tax.

One month unlimited is $50 flat (after 2.5GB they can slow you down down so not fast unlimited, but it will still work). One month 500MB is $20 flat. 10 days, 100MB is $10 flat.

For the internet at home replacement I used 100MB in an evening. My wife used <100MB working for 4 hours or so. I used between 5-20MB on an hour train ride.

Comment

Working...
                          X