Vince's Rant!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vince's Rant!!

just this past long weekend we had a fishing derby up here.

whoever catches the biggest fish wins $5000 bucks.

good for the person that wins. bad for the fish!

there's only one problem with this. all of those big fish are too old to eat. even the dogs won't eat them.

just to give you an idea what this is all about. a 3 1/2 foot fish is about 350 years old. they are huge, believe me.

the part that really ticks me off is that my people are the first to complain about taking care of the land, water ,and the animals and we're the first ones in line to abuse it.

WTFIUWT?

i'm not some kind of animal rights activist or anything closely or remotely related to that kind of thing but come on!!!!

again, WTFIUWT?

some of my people agree with me and don't participate in the derby.

Vince

i don't expect any replies to this. i just wanted to let you all know that not all of us think the same way.

Re: Vince's Rant!!

What kind of fish Vince?
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

WOW...I am sorry to see you upset, BUT at the same time you taught me something

I never knew that fish that were that big were that old! MAN!!

Wouldn't be a good eat huh?

Hope you feel better buddy!

Comment

Vince, I'm always open to learning about nature and I thought the Galapagos Turtle at around 150 yrs was the oldest living creature. When I Googled "How Long Do Fish Live?", the answer was up to 100 years. 100 years is a real long time even for a fish, is it possible you are off on the 350 years figure?

Comment

Vince,

I have heard arguments with certain species that the larger fish are beyond being able to reproduce and become a strain on the younger healthier fish.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Koi can live 200 years.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Koi can live 200 years.

J.C.
              I searched for longest living creature "On Earth", I changed my search and found this.
              A clam dredged from icy Arctic waters is being hailed as the world's longest-lived animal.

Climate researchers at Bangor University in the United Kingdom recently counted 405 annual growth rings in the shells of a quahog clam.
              405 years old! That's got the tortoise beat. I guess the fish Vince is talking about can be that old? I just learned something, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                I searched for longest living creature "On Earth", I changed my search and found this.
                A clam dredged from icy Arctic waters is being hailed as the world's longest-lived animal.

Climate researchers at Bangor University in the United Kingdom recently counted 405 annual growth rings in the shells of a quahog clam.
                405 years old! That's got the tortoise beat. I guess the fish Vince is talking about can be that old? I just learned something, thanks.
                Oh man, 405 YEARS !!! thats old

Comment

i was a little sceptical at first too.

at the time i said to myself (mind you, i ws a younger man), apparently there's a bone in the fish's ear that grows rings like a tree. 300 - 350 years for a 3 1/2 - 4 foot arctic char or lake trout. i'll do some research to confirm this but i think the #'s are pretty close.

part of the contest was to see who could catch the biggest rock cod.

the thing that really gets to me is that probably tommorrow a lot of those ancient fish will be in the dump.

Vince

and to top it all off, there's going to be yet another fishing derby before the ice is gone!!

Comment

Working...
                  X