X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Converter

I live in the northeast and have Cablevision as a my tv channel provider. I wanted to save any of you the trouble of buying one of those digital converter boxes available with a $40 government coupon. The box will not work with Cablevision, they may broadcast a digital signal but it is only good with one of their converter boxes! TV roof antennas are pretty rare around here, but I think if the economy gets worse rather than pay high monthly bills just to watch TV, folks will put those antennas back up.

Re: Digital Converter

Frankie

The digital conversion boxes are only for over the air digital transmission decoding. You don't need them if you get your tv through cable. The only reason to get one in that case is in case your cable is down. It won't work with any cable provider, you need to use their boxes for that.

Comment

I live in a city and we use a converter box and rabbit ears and we get like 15 channels.

We used to have cable but with free 15 channels with the converter box and then off course you have Hulu.com that you can watch on your pc....

No need to pay for cable anymore....well at least here in a city.

If you live in a remote area or suburbs it might be tough to get a signal

But if you do live near a city , the whole digital conversion thing was a blessing.

Hope this helps!

Joseph
      Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
      New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I'm doing the digital converter with a chimney mounted antenna and rotor for it. I can use this with the converter in bypass for what's left of analog broadcast and also for broadcast digital TV. For the little TV watched here at "The Woussko Hut" why pay for cable or FiOS?

Hint: My old faithful Toshiba Boob Tube TV gets excellent quality pictures and sound through the digital converter. I have it connected to a composite (basic RCA phono co-ax jack) video input rather than use channel 3. It works better this way. The audio (stereo 2 chan) is good quality and good enough for us. I don't need 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1 for the TV.
        Last edited by Woussko; 05-24-2009, 07:48 PM.

Comment

There is nothing broadcast over the air waves worth watching, IMHO. I guess if I lived in the sticks I would resort to reading books, or something! Hard to imagine life without TLC, A&E, History Channel, Discovery, etc. etc. !!!!!!

list some of your favorite shows:

First 48
          Operacion Repo
          John & Kate
          Dog the Bounty Hunter
          Cops

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
            Frankie

The digital conversion boxes are only for over the air digital transmission decoding. You don't need them if you get your tv through cable. The only reason to get one in that case is in case your cable is down. It won't work with any cable provider, you need to use their boxes for that.
            I was trying to avoid the almost $7 per Cablevision converter charger per month, which for my four TV's which don't currently have converters would run me another $30 a month. I was not trying to get premium channels on these other TV's I was simple trying to maintain the same channels I was getting. I told the folks at Cablevision that I can't see paying so much more money for the same service. Upsetting that I am paying for service to my home and they choose the signal to be sent, whcih will soon be useless on most of my TV's. Oh, well glad it's only TV.

Comment

Working...
            X