"Working Dog" Owners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Working Dog" Owners

It looks like I may be adopting my son's Springer Spaniel, Duke. I have been out of the dog world for a while and I am wondering where you guys buy your supplies. I think one of my first purchases will be a dog crate. I could go with the classic Vari-Kennel but I was thinking about an aluminum one. I also need a good supply of throwing bucks and what not. I have already made a bunch of leashes varying from 6' through 25'.

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 05-25-2009, 10:41 AM. Reason: Clarifying Title
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Working Dog Owners

Mark, I buy my dog's food at the grocery store and get his heartworm and fleas and tick medication online. There are several online veterinary pharamacys who can fill your dogs medication needs and they work by having contact with your dog's vet. I have a crate for my ten pound Bichon "Max", but I never close the door and lock him in, I simply block the stairwell between where he is and our bedrooms so he doesn't bother us at night. I know folks who crate their dogs most of the day and only let them outside to do their business, one of these dogs is a Rotti, another working fellow had a beautiful Husky that was crated all day while he was at work. Just my opinion, but I feel dogs should be allowed more freedom and should not be locked up as if they were in a supermax prison. Just seems cruel.

Comment

Re: Working Dog Owners

The crate is for in the field and for those trips in the back of a pickup truck. Sometimes it's hundreds of miles to get where we are going and everyone is more comfortable when the dog is crate trained.

Mark

Comment

Re: "Working Dog" Owners

Having a dog is a privilege and should be part of ones family and not locked up I have two dogs and they live in my house and have their own access in and out and have been trained to do their business outside at night they sleep in a rear room of the house where they cannot access the bedroom.

Tony

Comment

LOL-I may not have explained it properly. A "working dog" is a hunting dog. I am not locking the dog up for the sake of locking him up, I am locking him up so he does not jump out of the pickup truck on the freeway or wander off while at a distant hunting spot. I raised and trained Springer Spaniels for many years but have been out of it for a while. I'm just trying to jump start the process now that my son cannot take care of his dog.

Mark

Comment

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/
            http://www.gundogsupply.com/
            Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
            I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
            My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

Comment

Working dog? Is that like a working girl? Ewwww!

Comment

mark you know i have bloodhounds and when we are in the truck she is in a crates made of wire and it is big enough for her to spread out .i took the top off and she can stand in the crate bit i do have a cap on my truck and sha cant get over the top of the crate .some times if it just me and her on a long trip she has the back seat that folds down .
                at home we cant give her the run of the house when we are not home so we have a very large crate she goes in and there is enough room for me to get in it . but it is safer for them to be crated when in a car or truck in case of an accident .
                she has bin in the very large crate one time for over 10 hr and she was fine
                and for the meds and hart guard get them from the vet i got some one time on line from a place LIKE pet meds and with in 2 months i had to put down the 2 dogs that i had on the hart guard that i got .im not for sure it was from that i used the last pills and then it happened so we could not test the pills .rosie was on some from the vet at that time . just my thoughts
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Mark, I'm sorry if my comments caused confusion. I was making a general statement regarding some owners who do keep their dogs crated for long stretches of time. I understand crates serve a necessary purpose not only for safety but as a place of comfort for dogs. I made it clear to my daughters that when our dog went into his crate on his own, he was to be left undisturbed. I respect your intentions and those of others who prepare for the dog's safety when traveling. I'm sure those dogs will be loved and well cared for, best of luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X