X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i've begun the delicate dance

with the local government to get my permits for home protection, vehicle, and concealed carry.

with the recent rise in crime and the fact i caught myself with a rather large sum of cash after the banks were closed i decided to do the deed and get permitted.

my next door neighbor got burgled last week. they are off island and their tenant is off getting a hip replacement. the dogs woke me up and i noticed a vehicle in the tenant's driveway. i went outside and they saw me and beat feet taking only his big screen tv.

another house got hit and emptied. they were snowbirds and have gone home for the summer and the house sitter had not returned from down island and the house was empty.

these punks seem to be targeting the east end and with a shaky economy it's only gonna get worse before it gets better. time to be ready to send a strong message if necessary.

the process is long and drawn out but better to be legal than not

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Re: i've begun the delicate dance

Steve, you are wise to do this legally and not jeopardize all you have worked for in the event you are stopped by the police or have to use the weapon. I agree that crime is and will be on the rise, desperate times and desperate people. Best of luck with the process, go for proper training and practice. Frank.

Comment

Definitely practice. When the real deal hits, thinking goes out the window, so your reactions have to be ingrained.

Comment

i've been shooting for most of my life. we have very strict gun laws here and i'd rather be legal than take a chance, even though the scumbags don't.

the class is simple, the police part is slow and laborius, but when done i should have permits for a shotgun (home protection), probably a S&W Airlite .38 for the van and something for CCW.

maybe i'll get my Colt's 1876 model Peacemaker (generation 1) down here for fun at the range

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
          i've been shooting for most of my life. we have very strict gun laws here and i'd rather be legal than take a chance, even though the scumbags don't.

the class is simple, the police part is slow and laborius, but when done i should have permits for a shotgun (home protection), probably a S&W Airlite .38 for the van and something for CCW.

maybe i'll get my Colt's 1876 model Peacemaker (generation 1) down here for fun at the range

steve
          I've got a 1st generation peacemaker in 45 cal. I think I'll put a few rounds through it this weekend. It has been over 14 years since I shot it. I say if your state or Island offers a CCW permit. you should get it just so we look like a big voting block.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
            I've got a 1st generation peacemaker in 45 cal.
            1873 or 1876? what grips?

the black powder single action guns are fun to shoot but NOTHING like in the movies. the only time i tried to fan i tore massive holes in my palm and got kicked off the range

steve

Comment

Since I'm a new home owner living near a metropolitan area with an uncomfortably high violent crime rate, I've been thinking about ways to protect my family and home as well. I found a nice, safe neighborhood to live in, though I don't want to have our safety depend entirely on neighborhood perception.

Seems like every other day I get a new installation offer from a different alarm service, almost always the same crappy deal on a different company letterhead. To me it seems like a costly service with very little benefit right now.

Instead, my fiancee and I went down to the animal shelter and adopted a 1 year old German shepherd that needed a home. His previous owner wasn't taking good care of him so he has some bad habits, but he's smart and learning quickly.

We're also considering keeping a gun in the house, so I've been researching what kind to get. I was thinking about a handgun that's reliable, relatively low maintenance, and easy for either of us to handle (my fiancee weighs less than 110 I think, I'm smart enough not to ask ). I was thinking of a .38 caliber, or maybe a 9mm, the .38 probably would be easier to maintain, but it seems like a 9mm would be more "fun" to take to the range and train with.

Any other insight from people who have spent more time with guns here?

Comment

Wathman, my personal feeling on home defense is that a shotgun is really the best answer. I'm not a real big girl, and can handle the 12gauge easily enough. I like the shotgun as the blast will be focused on the bad guy, and the round won't penetrate the walls between me and the neighbors. I have found in the past that just the sound of the slide racking on a 12 gauge shotgun is enough to scare off some would-be home invaders.

You both need to spend time getting familiar with the weapon and spend time at the range with it. As had been said before, when it comes time you HAVE to use the weapon, your thought processes will be messed up. You need to have the familiarity with the weapon so it's second nature to grab it, load it and bring it into aim point.

I also highly recommend sights that can be seen even in very low light. Being able to properly aim the weapon in dark is critical for home defense. There are many shotguns and pistols that have low or no-light sights.

Stxrus, congratulations on your choice. Good luck with the process! I know it's a lot of steps (at least around here it is), but I feel those steps are a good thing. I'd rather have the process difficult. I want people to have the right to carry, but I feel it's important that they do so only after proving they have the ability to carry responsibly.
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

VA Sandy, I certainly agree with you about the intimidation factor a shotgun has. Also the need for practice and training. I worked as an EMT for a while so I know to react when other peoples' lives are on the line, hopefully it won't be too much of a stretch to not freeze up when it's my own life on the line.

The only concern I have about going with a shotgun is that in very close quarters, a shotgun would be more difficult to retain and bring to bear if a more experienced attacker made an attempt to disarm me. I guess if that were the case though, I'd be screwed either way so the point is to not let it happen.

The last question I have regarding shotguns is where to practice with them? I'm not a hunter, and have no desire to start hunting. Will I be able to use them at a typical gun range or no?

Comment

If you're not willing to kill someone, then don't get a gun. If you're okay killing someone, rock on. Having a gun and not willing to use it, will not help you out in a situation.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

well........yeah

I'd also suggest not buying a car if you aren't willing to drive or a happy meal if you aren't willing to eat.

I think your point is that you consider the full implication of the purchase and I agree.

I don't exactly want to kill someone. If I fire that gun, it's going to be because I believe it's a choice between me, them, or a bystander. None of us want to use our insurance policies, but we have them just in case we do need them.

Comment

Shot gun with the shortest barrel you can buy. The gauge is not that important at short range they all will do sufficient damage.
                        You are less likely to miss completely, and the neighbors will be less at risk from over penetration with a shot gun.

It may be tougher to find ranges but it is worth it to practice.

I agree with GearJunkie if you won't shoot some one then you will just be giving them a gun. We don't really need that.

Comment

+1 on a shotgun for home protection. i'll probably get another Mossberg 12ga with 18 1/2" barrel and pistol grips on both ends. easy to use and you can clear a large area with ease and keep the collateral down to a minimum

S&W AirLite .38 for the van and maybe an AirWeight for carry

Comment

Diddo on the shot gun. I've shot a lot of action pistol stuff. a few times we would shoot the same course with shot guns and every body was better and faster with the shotgun. what ever you get,get profitiant with it and don't take advise from a dime store cowboys a clown at the range in cammies or a guy who got all his shooting lesson from guns and Ammo or soldier of fortune magazine. Just listen to the person that does not miss the target. AND BE SAFE

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                              1873 or 1876? what grips?

the black powder single action guns are fun to shoot but NOTHING like in the movies. the only time i tried to fan i tore massive holes in my palm and got kicked off the range

steve
                              I'm not sure of the year The patent dates are 1871 1872 and 1875. The grips are black hard rubber. It was redone by the colt factory in the 1970's looked beutiful. Then it went through a house fire not so pretty now the case hardening coloring is gone. Colt won't work on any gun thats gone through a fire for liability reasons. I know it did not get hot just very sooty.

Comment

Working...
                              X