Are you old enough?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are you old enough?

You mean I am the only one with Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake?
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

never had a lunch box, the school had a hot lunch program, but if we need a lunch for a field trip it was the good old paper sack, and a bottle of pop, or possibly a thermos.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

i had no lunch box

i had a tool box

i remember putting stickers on it and also selling stickers and decals from it.

we would call up different oil related vendors and ask them for their stickers. then trade or sell them.

too bad i didn't know about ridgid back then

hey josh, got any ridgid stickers for my big toolbox

i can impress the ladies

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          i had no lunch box

i had a tool box

i remember putting stickers on it and also selling stickers and decals from it.

we would call up different oil related vendors and ask them for their stickers. then trade or sell them.

too bad i didn't know about ridgid back then

hey josh, got any ridgid stickers for my big toolbox

i can impress the ladies

rick.
          You make it too easy somethimes...... It is sooo hard to fight the urge.... "Like a Tatoo!"

Comment

You guys were lucky. Back in the thirties, we didn't know what lunch was!!

Comment

I know I used a metal lunchbox back then. Can't remember what was on it (old age setting in). I do remember having a yellow Tupperware one (yes, it was plastic). But it had all my containers for sandwich, snack and drink. All with seals. Everything fit nicely in it's space. But, if there was too much, then it didn't close.

Cathy

Learnat least one NEWtopic daily!

Comment

I also had a hand-me-down Partridge Family lunchbox

Laurie Partridge was a hottie!

Comment

I actually did have a Roy Rogers box. I remember collecting empty bottles and taking them to the store for the refund. I think it was 2 cents each for 12 oz bottles and the big 24 oz. bottles were 5 cents each. You could buy a lot of candy if you were a good bottle scrounger (like I was). And it kept Mom out of the loop. She never did figure why I had so many cavities.

Comment

I used to have a yellow steel lunchbox and as others have told I had to be careful not to bust the glass insides of the thermos. Mine also held a plastic outside and inside insulated jar for applesauce or such. It's been a long time since I got rid of it.

I do have a one quart stainless steel genuine Thermos bottle I use for cool water in the summer or a warm beverage in the winter.

Many times to K I S, I did the little brown paper bag thing.
                    Last edited by Woussko; 06-05-2009, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                      You guys were lucky. Back in the thirties, we didn't know what lunch was!!
                      Just think I have never been actually- no food-today because we have no money hungry. Man am I lucky and thankful!!!

The lunch box was my Dads black metal one with a thrush muffler sticker and a hurst shifter sticker. maybe even an edlbrock sticker but I may have put that on.

Comment

Does anyone remember buying little pry cap 6-1/2 Oz bottles of CocaCola from a vending machine for only 5 cents? How about for 10 cents?

Here is an eBay listing of a vintage CocaCola machine. This seller must think they are going for big $$$ but oh well. No way am I buying one.
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-coke-mac...QQcmdZViewItem
                        Last edited by Woussko; 06-05-2009, 05:14 PM.

Comment

I know I had a tin lunch box I don't recall who or what was on it. I was busy convincing Mom to get me Converse Chuck Taylors. (they really did make me run faster)
                          I do recall glass in the milk on several occasions

Comment

I never had a lunch box, or at least I can't remember one. I remember a lot of my early grade school years in great detail, but I honestly don't have any memory of ever eating lunch in school or even having a lunch room, until after we moved out of the city and into the country where I started 5th grade at good ol' Windsor Central (NY). There I ate in the cafeteria for 15 cents!

Hey, I did have a Hopalong Cassidy mug though... does that count for anything? Also had a Sgt. Foster (?), Northwest Mounted Police pop-up book and puzzle. (Can't remember his Dog's name though.) How about Saturday morning live action TV shows like Space Patrol, Rin-Tin-Tin, and Sky King. Really, no cartoons on Saturday mornings!

Wousko.... Yes Sir, I do remember those 5-cent Coca-Cola machines with thier little green "coke" bottles... funny though, I thought they were bigger. The Mobil Station (do you remember the name "Socony Vacuum"?) my Dad worked at, had one right in front of the station. I also had a big steel Buddy-L toy "Mobile" gas truck.

I remember when there weren't any "ball-point" pens and right up through Jr. High ("middle school" to all those younger than me) we used fountain pens.

(I also remember when there was no TV, at least not on our block. Funny memory, when the radio was about the biggest piece of un-upholstered, furniture in the living room.)

CWS

Comment

CWS

The old CocaCola bottles were 6-1/2 Fl Oz size. Pepsi either had or came along with 12 Fl Oz. glass pry top bottles and thus advertised that you got more for your money. A few years ago CocaCola came out with RETRO bottles very much like the old ones. I remember the machines with the bottle rack(s) on the side(s) of them. When they raised the price to 10 cents people found out how to fast drop a nickle and a penny and get a Coke for 6 cents until they got smarter coin sensors.

To everyone: How about pay phones where you paid ONLY if the called party answered. They didn't have any manor of coin return. You had to pay attention or you paid for nothing.

I remember back when I was too young to drive but was old enough to know what gasoline was that 26.9 cents for leaded regular was the normal price in my area. Super was 32.9 cents at that time. This was about in the early-mid 60s if I remember right. People were howling then. They wanted super for 20 cents / gallon. At the local discount store (2) Rayovac size D cells (carbon-zinc) which were yellow and blue sold in a little wax paper bag with cardboard stapled on top for 27 cents and Eveready (same size and type) were 29 cents.

As for Buddy L toys, I think I still have a blue & white tractor trailer and a red tow truck from my younger days. I bet they would being some nice $$$ on eBay if they are still in good condition. Sometime I'll have to prowl for them.
                              Last edited by Woussko; 06-05-2009, 07:55 PM.

Comment

I remember the "little Cokes". Some of my relatives favorites. They always claimed they had a different/better flavor.

The barber I used to go to, he retired & has since passed, had the machine with the right side door on the front. About three foot tall and six inches wide. Had to pull hard to get that bottle out when he had a new stack in there. Just pay him for it.

How 'bout the 2 Liter GLASS Pepsi or Coke bottles? That was a Saturday Night-Domestic-Matlock Mystery Assault Weapon sitting in the house.

Used to make me mad when the glass broke in my thermos.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X