X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workshop Apron

I was just wondering if anyone uses a workshop apron. If so, where did you purchase it? Every time I go to the garage to do a small job, I end up full of sawdust and I though a nice workshop apron would be nice.

Re: Workshop Apron

Duluth Trading has a selection to choose from, with three that sound like they might fit your needs.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/d...nd-aprons.aspx

I have the Fire Hose Waist Apron which if they had it available at the time I would have gone for the Split Front Apron because the center pockets on mine can be a PITN when you are bending over. Plus the buckle being up front would make it so much easier going on and off.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have a denim one for the wood shop
      and a leather one in the welding shop, usually were a pair of leather sleeves as well,
      and a white cotton one when cutting meat,
      I think they all came from Harbor Freight. at some time or the other,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have a custom made one that my wife made for me. I picked a bunch of features that I liked from a few different designs, told Sandy what I wanted and BAM she had one knocked out in no time at all. I wish I was half as talented with my woodworking as she is with her sewing, quilting and scrolling.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have a denim apron that I use primarily when turning but it only comes to my knees so from there down I am a big mess. I was given the apron during a promotion by Tormek at a Woodcraft store.

Badger Dave's post reminded me that my mother sewed an apron for my father a long time ago, pockets where wanted them etc. I haven't seen it in years but I am going to try to find it now.
          Last edited by Tom W; 06-05-2009, 09:01 AM.

Comment

I also have a custom made apron.

My wife has done a lot of sewing over the years and I have learned the basics by osmosis. I made a pattern from craft paper, apron, pockets, straps etc. When it was what I wanted, my wife and I purchased some denim and she sewed it up.

Most of the pockets are down the side of the apron to allow me to lean into a project without getting stabbed by a tool or a screw. These pockets are for holding most small items, tools, screws that are needed for the job at hand.

The chest area has lots of places for pencils, 6" scale, small caliper, tape measure etc.

The straps are over the shoulder and cross in the back to keep the weight off of the neck.

IMHO, like a workshop, an apron is a personal thing.

Bill

Comment

If I started wearing an apron then I'd also have to step up my professional appearance in other ways.

It's not worth the effort to me Carpenter pants and pocket t-shirt is as far as I'm willing to go

Comment

check out lee valley. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43413,45989
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

gear junkie, I like Lee Valley and all but $42.50(w/freight added) for an apron? Oh, I get it, Buy cheap, buy twice!
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Not going to lie, lee valley is expensive but they really make great stuff that's well built and designed. I never bought the apron but through past experience with the company, I would recommend any of their stuff.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have an old denim "printers" apron, with pockets across the bottom and two pockets on the chest, which are deep enough for pencils and a small rule.

The printshop had a couple of these that they had ordered from a supplier and never used, so I was given this one. Nice when I'm doing a lot in the basement, but if I'm running from basement shop to the upper room where I'm building something, I don't bother.

CWS

Comment

I used a vinyl coated apron when I worked in a print shop. That apron protected my clothes from ink, press wash and chemicals used to develop offset plates.

Comment

Working...
                        X