FYI: What's the WX look like in ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI: What's the WX look like in ???

Here's a URL to a NWS site which combines the output of all NWS radars across the country into one big moving map of the contiguous States.

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/full_loop.php

This is just a small section of the map to give you an idea of what it looks like. Right now we (PA/DE/NJ) are getting rain/drizzle which looks like it won't let up for a few hours, maybe not until tomorrow.

All the TV channels, WX sites on the 'net, etc. that operate and report on WX here in the USA get their radar imagery from the NWS radars systems as far as I know. I don't think there is a TV station that can afford to operate their own WX radar nor that has a FCC license to do so as the frequencies used are mixed in with military and other government services (NOAA & NASA are two that I can think of right off), and most WX radars are located at government installations where large tracts of land are available. This is required due to the high power levels of the radar and the need to keep people a safe distance away when in operation which for WX radar is pretty much 24/7. There is nothing secret about this. It's all information available for public viewing on the NWS website.

Name:  0e2c987e3de50e143e3885f406214f46.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  53.1 KB
    Last edited by Bob D.; 06-05-2009, 06:15 AM.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Re: FYI: What's the WX look like in ???

i don't need no stinking radar. i just go out on my back deck, unless it's raining, and look. if i can see STT it's clear and most likely daylight.

BTW, i have a Weather Rock that's pretty good at telling the weather

actually i use the NWS radar out of SJU a lot

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

That's pretty nifty

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
        i don't need no stinking radar. i just go out on my back deck, unless it's raining, and look. if i can see STT it's clear and most likely daylight.

BTW, i have a Weather Rock that's pretty good at telling the weather

actually i use the NWS radar out of SJU a lot

steve
        Yeah I can look outside too, but that is limited of line of sight. If it's raining and I want to know how far the storm line stretches and when it might clear looking at a near real time radar image loop is the fastest way to know. Looking at the current mess we are in I know I won't get anything done outside today in the yard.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
        X