X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimax Stabilizer?

Guys, I recently posted about not being able to record movies from my cable tv on a newer DVD recorder. I learned that all DVD recorders now have technology to recognize an embedded signal that is sent with all copyrighted transmissions. The law as I understand it does allow recording of such material for personal use ( you can't sell it). Well, from searching the Internet I found a audio/video Forum with some pretty smart folks who suggested using a video stabilizer. I was just wondering if anyone here has heard of such a thing and if it works? I pay to see these movies and just want the option of recording them for my own viewing. Thanks.

Re: Dimax Stabilizer?

Take the Sony back and try an off brand.
    Sony used to block play of DVD -r years ago but when they
    lost market share they removed the feature.
    I used to make backups of all my kids DVD's so the originals would not get messed up. The sony was the only player that would not play them.
    I have not tried to record recently but the plague signal you are referring to is the same one that made recording VHS to VHS difficult, the recorded movie was often too dark to view. I got around that by using my Beta MAX (ya ok I'm an old electronics junkie). There was also a unit called a Macro scrubber meant to remove the dreaded macrovision signal but I have not seen one for years as it is now illegal to remove that signal. Many of the UVB's that are out now do not remove the macrovision signal, they are only meant to 'fix' the signal for use on older TV's, for your purposes you would need to find an illegal box that removes the Macrovision signal. If you are handy with electronics try building this one and see if it works for you

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
      Take the Sony back and try an off brand.
      Sony used to block play of DVD -r years ago but when they
      lost market share they removed the feature.
      I used to make backups of all my kids DVD's so the originals would not get messed up. The sony was the only player that would not play them.
      I have not tried to record recently but the plague signal you are referring to is the same one that made recording VHS to VHS difficult, the recorded movie was often too dark to view. I got around that by using my Beta MAX (ya ok I'm an old electronics junkie). There was also a unit called a Macro scrubber meant to remove the dreaded macrovision signal but I have not seen one for years as it is now illegal to remove that signal. Many of the UVB's that are out now do not remove the macrovision signal, they are only meant to 'fix' the signal for use on older TV's, for your purposes you would need to find an illegal box that removes the Macrovision signal. If you are handy with electronics try building this one and see if it works for you
      Thank you for the reply. I'm not handy enough to build the unit, but the one I saw online supposedly removes the "macrovision" disruption. I think there are going to be a lot of disappointed consumers who buy DVD recorders only to find they cannot record many of the programs they are paying to watch. The Magnavox DVD recorder I currently own has more than paid for itself. I have transferred roughly one hundred camcorder tapes to DVD.

Comment

I've been using my Medion laptop to record movies off the cable and I've transferred a couple of family events that we "filmed" with our old Panasonic VHS video camera a decade or so ago. The program used for the transfer is PowerProducer and editing is PowerProducer which was packaged with the laptop.

For recording from the TV cable, I have a Tevion analog TV receiver that I plug between the cable box and the laptop. Does a great job!

CWS

Comment

Working...
        X